News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

peter11435

Incorrect.

September 20, 2011: Disney announced via press conference and on the Disney Parks Blog that they have partnered with James Cameron to develop a new land in the Animal Kingdom based on the movie Avatar. A follow up Disney Parks Blog post featured questions and answers from Tom Staggs, the Heads of Parks and Resorts.
I’ve never disputed that an announcement was made in 2011. That announcement was that a deal had been made and they announced plans to design and develop a land based on avatar for animal kingdom. After two years of design and development, Pandora as it would be built was announced in 2013.

RSoxNo1

I’ve never disputed that an announcement was made in 2011. That announcement was that a deal had been made and they announced plans to design and develop a land based on avatar for animal kingdom. After two years of design and development, Pandora as it would be built was announced in 2013.
Arguing semantics at this point. Ride concept art WAS put out in late 2013. FWIW, I have the full timeline of the rumor here (although admittedly the post needs to be cleaned up a bit)

peter11435

Arguing semantics at this point. Ride concept art WAS put out in late 2013. FWIW, I have the full timeline of the rumor here (although admittedly the post needs to be cleaned up a bit)

It certainly does boil down to semantics. But the original conversation was about the length of the build. So starting the clock from 2011 doesn’t make sense since that was simply the deal being made and they still needed years of work to decide what they were going to do. It wasn't so much an announcement that we are building X, but rather that we intend to build X and are now going to start the development process. The 2013 announcement was when plans had been solidified and things actually starting moving forward.

kurtk

I was wondering if there were any rumors about construction restarting. I know a lot of projects may not get done but I would think things like security checkpoints and the front of the park are important enough and cheap enough to be completed. It is mainly some concrete and flower beds.
They at least need to get some of the walls down as you walk into the park. It would be really great to see some gone when the parks are reopened.

Goofyernmost

200.gif
Say Bob... it might be helpful when you roll your eyes (or have someone else do it for you) that you identify exactly what you are rolling them in reaction too. Otherwise you just wasted cyberspace and really made no point at all. Just sayin'.

G00fyDad

I was wondering if there were any rumors about construction restarting. I know a lot of projects may not get done but I would think things like security checkpoints and the front of the park are important enough and cheap enough to be completed. It is mainly some concrete and flower beds.
They at least need to get some of the walls down as you walk into the park. It would be really great to see some gone when the parks are reopened.

I could be wrong but I would assume they will wait to resume projects until after they reopen fully and see what attendance looks like. Until then I would imagine most projects (even those already started) will be on hold until more is clear. That may take a couple months or more.

peter11435

Yeah I thought that for the 19 years they have been using tents. If they don't finish them now it will take them 20 yrs to get them finished.
Technically they only used tents for a couple years after 9/11 then built permanent structures that were utilized for years. Tents only reappeared again a couple years ago for metal detector use.

Obobru

Technically they only used tents for a couple years after 9/11 then built permanent structures that were utilized for years. Tents only reappeared again a couple years ago for metal detector use.
I don't remember any permanent structures at the Studios, Epcot or Animal Kingdom for security. Do you have some photos of these to refresh my memory? Thanks

michmousefan

I guess it really depends on how soon the construction workers return to their jobs. I'd guess (and hope) that might be sooner rather than later, but that's just a guess.

rle4lunch

It would make a lot of sense to wrap up the entrance project prior to the reopening. More space is a great thing right now. If they got the fountain running, that'd be a huge bonus.

Considering they're only letting a finite number of people in the parks though, this is the perfect time to finish something like this quicker than before. I would say this should be the case for all projects that have already begun obligating their monies. Might as well finish. I'm sure the people that are working on it would like to work again too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom