News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought they had learned their lesson about painting the monorail supports from the awfulness that is the Polynesian track and supports. Sigh.
Painting concrete is always a somewhat dangerous choice. It looks good on the first day, but it is downhill from there if it is not constantly repainted.

Bare concrete tends to weather in a more eye appealing fashion. It often looks just fine until you clean an adjacent section revealing how dirty it is.

Totally random question here with regards to those holes in the fountain for the new/old decorative pillars, but someone told me that they had "cut" them in to get ready for the new decoration. I made the point that since the pillars were there in 1982 and the fountain structure has been there just as long, that those are probably just the original "holes" to be fitted with new pillars. Any information on this?

trainplane3

Totally random question here with regards to those holes in the fountain for the new/old decorative pillars, but someone told me that they had "cut" them in to get ready for the new decoration. I made the point that since the pillars were there in 1982 and the fountain structure has been there just as long, that those are probably just the original "holes" to be fitted with new pillars. Any information on this?
Same holes, just uncovered. I asked @marni1971 the same question a few months ago.

trainplane3

Awesome, thanks. I reckon they've just covered them with those bricks for 20 years then.
I'd assume the same thing too. Cheaper to cover then create a whole new top.

However, he wasn't sure how much of the original lighting setup was removed. They'll obviously be going the route of using LEDs but it would be interesting if there's any '82 tech left inside that still needs removed.

I'd assume the same thing too. Cheaper to cover then create a whole new top.

However, he wasn't sure how much of the original lighting setup was removed. They'll obviously be going the route of using LEDs but it would be interesting if there's any '82 tech left inside that still needs removed.
Knowing how much Disney likes to wall things up to save on construction costs, unless there was any kind of potential for water or corrosion damage, it wouldn't surprise me.

tirian

Huge improvement over what we had! However, that G is assaulting my eyes. I feel like they really should have developed a lighter, secondary typeface for applications such as these because it is nearly impossible to read from a distance. Maybe it's in the works!
The letter G looks like it’s from a different typeface. Between that and the incorrect grammar, this was clearly a rush job. At least it can be fixed.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, November 22, 2019. Over at the International Gateway Epcot entrance, the new Guest Relations windows opened today, this evening. The portable kiosk building located on the walkway to the Epcot resorts is closed. This photo was taken just before the new windows opened.

IMG_2604.JPG

nickys

Premium Member
Photo update as of Friday, November 22, 2019. Over at the International Gateway Epcot entrance, the new Guest Relations windows opened today, this evening. The portable kiosk building located on the walkway to the Epcot resorts is closed. This photo was taken just before the new windows opened.

View attachment 427917

What are the portable planters blocking off here? I have to assume there is more work to do but I can’t work out what it is!

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, December 11, 2019. Pardon if other photos have been posted recently. Here are a few photos of the construction progress at Epcot's entrance (inside the turnstiles).

Two photos of the new pavement around the entrance fountain in front of Spaceship Earth.

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

Work continues on a new left side entrance from just behind Spaceship Earth to Guardians of the Galaxy. This will become a major through fare when Epcot's center is walled off for construction. Guest Services building is on the left in the below photo.

IMG_2629.JPG

Behind the Mousegear store, a new much wider walkway between Test Track and the center of Epcot is being built. (See below two photos.)

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Mike730

Photo update as of Wednesday, December 11, 2019. Pardon if other photos have been posted recently. Here are a few photos of the construction progress at Epcot's entrance (inside the turnstiles).

Two photos of the new pavement around the entrance fountain in front of Spaceship Earth.

View attachment 432295

View attachment 432296

Work continues on a new left side entrance from just behind Spaceship Earth to Guardians of the Galaxy. This will become a major through fare when Epcot's center is walled off for construction. Guest Services building is on the left in the below photo.

View attachment 432297

Behind the Mousegear store, a new much wider walkway between Test Track and the center of Epcot is being built. (See below two photos.)

View attachment 432298

View attachment 432299
I like the creative control joints. Looks much nicer than a square grid.

montyz81

Nearmap updated today. Images were taken on November 22.View attachment 433101
What amazes me about that view is that you can still see the spot where the original prisms sat. I always notecard that when walking by the fountain for the last 20 or so years. The holes and outline of each prisms base are still there. Wonder if they are going to reuse those spots?

Timothy_Q

What amazes me about that view is that you can still see the spot where the original prisms sat. I always notecard that when walking by the fountain for the last 20 or so years. The holes and outline of each prisms base are still there. Wonder if they are going to reuse those spots?
The holes for the prisms are there right now because they’re about ready to install them again.

Those 3 holes haven’t been visible in the past 20 years tho as the surface material of the fountain changed when the prisms were removed

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom