News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Patcheslee

Good lord they are pictures that will be recreated. Try going through a house fire and having absolutely no pictures of family, friends before the age of 12, because the pictures were ash and film negatives melted. Those are lost forever with no chance to get back, including showing my 10yo what her uncle looked like before he passed, she wasn't even born then. Just be happy they will be replaced and you'll be able to see them then.

Goofyernmost

You’re telling me. For merely suggesting the photos be removed first before removing the monoliths as a matter of respect. And I get pummeled for it. The bloodthirstiness astounded me.
We all do understand what you are saying, however, that particular sentiment has no basis of sense at all. Those pictures were merely a money grab theme park promotion. It fell far short of Disney expectation for very good reasons.

Apparently there is something, some announcement that I missed because the last I heard the pictures were being moved not destroyed. Moved either separately or on the Granite panels where they have been attached for years. I seriously doubt that they are going to bust up that Granite since they have a fairly good sized value. They can easily be repurposed, sold or just stacked and stored until a new use can be found.

As for the respect aspect... you have completely lost me on that one. Respect what? Slabs of Granite? Tin pictures that were purchased for a pre-disclosed period of time? That have meaning only to those that purchased them with the full knowledge that at some point they would be gone? Repeating, this is not a grave yard. That description was created by those of us that were not all that impressed with either the location of the display, the overall downer look it had or the quality of the miniature etchings. It was there strictly as a promotional idea and the word Legacy was a misnomer. Legacies need to last forever and that was never the intent of Disney. Perhaps if people had loved them they would have continued to remain their, but, when you consider the millions of people that passed through there during the active sales years and compare it to the numbers of actually purchased item... it was hardly a big hit even if it was to the few that did have one there. I can understand that it is like losing a favorite attraction for them. For the rest of us it was like losing Stitch's Great Escape. Some liked it, but, not enough to warrant keeping it operating. Most of us have forgotten it and never give it a thought anymore.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
You all should “listen” to yourselves. I’m simply suggesting removing the photos first before destroying the monoliths but you’re okay with literally smashing peoples’ faces in. Disgusting.
The labor costs to chisel the photo plates off would add HUGE labor $$$ to this destruction project. I can hear the suits' eyes rolling when it was first proposed to chip them off and relocate them...

seascape

The labor costs to chisel the photo plates off would add HUGE labor $$$ to this destruction project. I can hear the suits' eyes rolling when it was first proposed to chip them off and relocate them...
They have all the pictures in color in their computer system. If you have one, they will print it out for you. Now, as for the cost of removing the existing plates or printing new ones, I have to agree it is probably cheaper to just print new ones and destroy the old ones.

JohnD

We all do understand what you are saying, however, that particular sentiment has no basis of sense at all. Those pictures were merely a money grab theme park promotion. It fell far short of Disney expectation for very good reasons.

Apparently there is something, some announcement that I missed because the last I heard the pictures were being moved not destroyed. Moved either separately or on the Granite panels where they have been attached for years. I seriously doubt that they are going to bust up that Granite since they have a fairly good sized value. They can easily be repurposed, sold or just stacked and stored until a new use can be found.

As for the respect aspect... you have completely lost me on that one. Respect what? Slabs of Granite? Tin pictures that were purchased for a pre-disclosed period of time? That have meaning only to those that purchased them with the full knowledge that at some point they would be gone? Repeating, this is not a grave yard. That description was created by those of us that were not all that impressed with either the location of the display, the overall downer look it had or the quality of the miniature etchings. It was there strictly as a promotional idea and the word Legacy was a misnomer. Legacies need to last forever and that was never the intent of Disney. Perhaps if people had loved them they would have continued to remain their, but, when you consider the millions of people that passed through there during the active sales years and compare it to the numbers of actually purchased item... it was hardly a big hit even if it was to the few that did have one there. I can understand that it is like losing a favorite attraction for them. For the rest of us it was like losing Stitch's Great Escape. Some liked it, but, not enough to warrant keeping it operating. Most of us have forgotten it and never give it a thought anymore.

True. We both read “moved.” Don’t disagree with what we read. My understanding is that “moving” really means duplicates placed somewhere else. I have no illusions that the originals will be destroyed. I also understand that the originals will be “discarded.” Again, no disagreement there. I want the monoliths gone like everyone else. My only point was removing the photos first before destroying the monoliths. Yes only .0000001% of the population have representation on the stones. If not removed first, then photos are smashed in. Put yourself in place of the admittedly few people who paid to have a photo there. Remove the photos, discard them, destroy the monoliths, place the duplicates elsewhere. Sigh...

Goofyernmost

True. We both read “moved.” Don’t disagree with what we read. My understanding is that “moving” really means duplicates placed somewhere else. I have no illusions that the originals will be destroyed. I also understand that the originals will be “discarded.” Again, no disagreement there. I want the monoliths gone like everyone else. My only point was removing the photos first before destroying the monoliths. Yes only .0000001% of the population have representation on the stones. If not removed first, then photos are smashed in. Put yourself in place of the admittedly few people who paid to have a photo there. Remove the photos, discard them, destroy the monoliths, place the duplicates elsewhere. Sigh...
I'm not sure why we would think that they have duplicates anywhere handy and that it wouldn't be more expensive to do that then to just move the occupied slabs to a different location and make a wall out of them. And what is so different about the originals and, if they do have duplicates how do we know that they haven't changed some already that didn't weather well or were damaged by the unsupervised children of today's parent pool. It apparently is make a mountain out of mole hill time. Try and appreciate that whatever they do with it they are not contractually or morally obligated to do anything other then throw it all in the dump like they have done with so many other things. I'm talking to you 20K Subs.

Goofyernmost

I've seen back and forth discussions, but, not really arguments. It can only be an argument if the winner actually wins. Since none of us have the power to dictate what is going to happen in WDW, then we are doing nothing more then discussing the possible outcomes, not controlling it.

MickeyMouse10

I've seen back and forth discussions, but, not really arguments. It can only be an argument if the winner actually wins. Since none of us have the power to dictate what is going to happen in WDW, then we are doing nothing more then discussing the possible outcomes, not controlling it.

I would classify it as arguments if one person calls another "entitled" and another says "he's being pummeled". It's all good though, I love a good slobberknocker.

Either way it's a good read.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, last thing I heard from Disney is that the Leave a Legacy metal plaques (not necessarily the granite monoliths), were being relocated not destroyed.

Did I miss something on this subject?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom