News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

sedati

It's about experiences, not convenience.
The experience of poor crowd flow? Maybe I've always hit this pavillion at a bad time, but it's always been awkward getting in and out. Imagination and Seabase Alpha both went in the other direction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hated the food offerings... the brown decor... the mall food court feeling... food rocks... the film... it was all bad. The table service and original living with the land were the only redeeming qualities. Tho I do like the glass structure from the outside. The murals while neat in detail... I always hated those brown 70s tones

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I hated the food offerings... the brown decor... the mall food court feeling... food rocks... the film... it was all bad. The table service and original living with the land were the only redeeming qualities. Tho I do like the glass structure from the outside. The murals while neat in detail... I always hated those brown 70s tones
Did you visit pre ‘93? That version had charm, despite being definitely of its age.

Rich Brownn

It's about experiences, not convenience.
In the original layout there was a specific way you were supposed to experience the attractions (not that anyone did). You'd start with 'Symbiosis' which related how man and nature worked together; this theater would then dump you out downstairs next to Living With The Land, which showed how man is working to improve upon nature with new techniques; exiting there you would encounter Kitchen Cabaret, which taught about how foods worked with nutrition ; and that would lead to -- a dining area!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did you visit pre ‘93? That version had charm, despite being definitely of its age.

Yes, for EPCOT, 84, 88, 90, 93. I'd sit for hours in Earth Station with zero food or attractions rather than sit in the land's indoor courtyard.

As a young adult... making that long trek up and then down into the building... to end up in a food court... just was a huge 'thats it???' moment. And like I said, the tones (while earthy..) were really dated IMO.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, for EPCOT, 84, 88, 90, 93. I'd sit for hours in Earth Station with zero food or attractions rather than sit in the land's indoor courtyard.

As a young adult... making that long trek up and then down into the building... to end up in a food court... just was a huge 'thats it???' moment. And like I said, the tones (while earthy..) were really dated IMO.
The Earth Station films were a lot of fun :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
EPCOT 2.0, sponsored by Bob's Barricades.

And 5 years later the barricades are covered in mold and falling apart and Bob doesn't want to pay to buy a whole new set of barricades and so the sponsorship deal ends and the barricades sit there worsening for another 10 years and people pine for the days when barricades were clean and bright and in good repair and yet protest their removal.

TOCPE82

Wrong thread, but West is likely to be fully removed and east heavily modified.

Expect food and shopping options to be very different too.

So the Starbucks in Fountainview is likely gone, along with the mildew hallway?

Any chance of the Centorium name re-emerging?

Sorry, I've just caught up on 15 pages... might have missed something.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So the Starbucks in Fountainview is likely gone, along with the mildew hallway?

Sorry, I've just caught up on 15 pages... might have missed something.

Centorium? Doubtful. That would be living in the past and only catering to a few hardcore EPCOT Center fans. A better name would be, "Epcot Merchandise Shop", so the masses can easily understand what it is.

(end sarc)

P_Radden

I wish. But even if it did, it would never be as cool as it once was (architecturally speaking)

IMO the multiple levels were part of what made the place special. Too bad they filled them in.

shortstop

HiJe

P_Radden

Why’d they fill in the second level? This is way cooler than Mouse Gear...
They filled in the lower "sunken" areas, and removed the mezzanine upper level. I was told this was done because they determined they could sell more merchandise if guests didn't have to go up stairs. I guess merchandise downstairs sold better than merchandise upstairs..? Plus throughout the 90s people became more lazy over the years so I guess maybe there was less foot traffic on the upper level than the lower level. Maybe @marni1971 can elaborate a bit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom