News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

britain

I'm just assuming those are tarps around some new lagoon show construction.

What? Don't they ever put tarps in concept art?

jt04

I'm 100% with you on that. A modern one that gets rid of the worst stereotypes of the old one, stops replacing peoples with their animals, has a more varied score, perhaps even using Tokyo's Sinbad type puppets, and more emphasis on world peace, and a ceiling that's not obvious acoustical tile.

Then IaSW in MK can be demo'd to open up an access point to all that undeveloped land behind HM.

This.

Kamikaze

You can call it non-linear story telling, you can call it a better aesthetic - either way it will be an improvement for all guests. No, it's not a new attraction, but it's not nothing.

All I was saying is that calling this 'the best news ever' is over the top hyperbole. What will the SSE announcement be? Or the spine/central plaza announcement? The bestest news ever ever?

I agree its not nothing, and I agree that the LaL tombstones are an eyesore. But lets keep the rhetoric in check.

Kamikaze

I think you're overreacting. After 2 decades of EPCOT rotting, some of us are excited to see it getting some (non-IP) love. Who are you to judge?

I'm NOT judging. I'm just expressing that the other things that have already been rumored and announced are far better and more important news than an entrance garden. My point was the overreaction to how great this was.

Honestly - which would you rather have?
GotG or entrance garden?
Rat or entrance garden?
UK ride or entrance garden?
Brazil or entrance garden?
SSE reimagining or entrance garden?
Central plaza/spine or entrance garden?

Yes, it will look nicer, and it will be an improvement. But to say that the new entrance will add more to your day at Epcot than any of the things listed just isn't true. You might not like the 'IPs', but I absolutely guarantee that every single person will spend more time on those IP attractions than in the entrance plaza.

Heck, the 'play pavilion' enhances Epcot more than the entrance.

And going by the zoom and enhance pictures one post up, there are IP topiaries. Does that mean you hate this now because of the IP?

britain

I'm very excited about this project. To me it looks like a restoration project so that the front of the park looks as it was intended, with a modern touch. I'm not getting too excited about the EPCOT Center logo on the flag poles though, because I counted 12 flags in the concept art, and currently there are 11 nations represented in WS, with Brazil planned to be the 12th. I could be reading too much into things, but I'm guessing that these flag poles will feature the flags of the 12 World Showcase nations. Sounds like a nice touch!

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Good call - I think it will indeed look terrific with a dozen international flags flanking the entrance. A better future for all creeds and cultures!

Hmm... where have I seen that before...

kthomas105

This is great news! I assume the central redesign of the area behind SSE will have a dedicated space for “festivals” and other rotating attractions. Time will tell but for now I’m excited for the direction of the park!

Missing20K

I'm NOT judging. I'm just expressing that the other things that have already been rumored and announced are far better and more important news than an entrance garden. My point was the overreaction to how great this was.

GotG or entrance garden?
Rat or entrance garden?

Yes, it will look nicer, and it will be an improvement. But to say that the new entrance will add more to your day at Epcot than any of the things listed just isn't true. You might not like the 'IPs', but I absolutely guarantee that every single person will spend more time on those IP attractions than in the entrance plaza.

And going by the zoom and enhance pictures one post up, there are IP topiaries. Does that mean you hate this now because of the IP?
giphy.gif

Sneezy62

GotG or entrance garden?
Rat or entrance garden?

Why does this mean more to me than the rides you mentioned? It’s because it shows that the powers that be can indeed see the park as a park. I know that most people today see the phrase “theme park” and think “rides based on something that fits a theme”.

To me it is the park that carries the theme. It is the park that I come to visit. It is that feeling of being somewhere that is made especially to create a certain feeling. A theme park is equivalent to a work of literature or a piece of music. Whether an old dimestore paperback or a classical symphony these things have a theme that carries through.

The entrance is the opening chapter or the overture. The artwork certainly appears to be consistent with a park that gives a feeling of wonderment, achievement, and optimism.

As far as IP goes, I would expect pavilions that are sponsored by Disney to advertise their products just as Chevrolet has cars in their pavilion and Eastern Airlines had jets in theirs. It’s a different world today than in ‘71 or ‘82. As long as the Disney ads are consistent with the themes that the park sets forth I can live with Donald Duck or possibly even with whoever the Marvel raccoon character is in the coaster in a box. If it’s a fun coaster or boat ride, I’ll enjoy it as part of my day at the park. It’s the park I’m going to see though, not the boat ride. Get the park right. Stay true to the theme. That’s what I find important.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom