News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Epcot82Guy

I think having a progression show through the night could be amazing. By example, an appropriate edit of Tomorrow's Child (orchestral), Papillon, We Go On, and the new theme. Then they could do a rotating one (IP or not) for each festival. It could actually add a really nice touch of history/progression on the icon. And, they could use songs that work for new guests as beautiful sounds - and add nostalgia for those who have been coming for awhile.

Monorail_Red_77

Such pavers are commercially available.

But, since LED lights are so passé, I'd imagine the folks saying that would definitely not want such old off-the-shelf tech pavers put back in the parks.
I was more referring to recreating those designs and patterns with the Points of Light wither into a small show or as transitions in some type of Epcot through the years Points of Light show.

rkleinlein

It's refreshing to see something without princesses or other IPs crammed down our throats. I think this is tasteful and classy. Unlike the monstrosity on the lake.

Goofyernmost

The maps were updated recently and lots of labels changed from "Epcot" to "EPCOT".

The entrance sign saw a similar capitalization with no change to style:

View attachment 597381

View attachment 597380

So maybe this is in our future? Although I would think they would at least use the new font.

Random other change: the label for "Showcase Plaza" was removed entirely.
Honest, not meaning to be condescending, but how the hell does that affect your enjoyment of EpCoT. Why does something so trivial matter to anyone. Does one go to look at the signs or to enjoy the parks?

TikibirdLand

Honest, not meaning to be condescending, but how the hell does that affect your enjoyment of EpCoT. Why does something so trivial matter to anyone. Does one go to look at the signs or to enjoy the parks?
I think it's something to discuss; as in: What is the significance of this change? Idle curiosity when you're not in the parks.

Oh, and to add more pedantic to this discussion; it's EPCoT Center. It will ALWAYS be EPCoT Center. Just like it will ALWAYS be MGM Studios!

Goofyernmost

I think it's something to discuss; as in: What is the significance of this change? Idle curiosity when you're not in the parks.

Oh, and to add more pedantic to this discussion; it's EPCoT Center. It will ALWAYS be EPCoT Center. Just like it will ALWAYS be MGM Studios!
No, the proper word for that is denial! 🙃 If I don't recognize it, it will go away! 🧐

eliza61nyc

👍🏽I've come to the conclusion that I am the most un-Disney Disney fan. I couldn't tell you the font of any Disney sign two minutes after I looked at it. I was blown away by the vitriol surrounding the new crepetaria and I actually like seeing Ip
I think some folks are purist so any change is going to have implications but as @Nunu said everyone has their own opinion on what is important and its all good.

Vinnie Mac

👍🏽I've come to the conclusion that I am the most un-Disney Disney fan. I couldn't tell you the font of any Disney sign two minutes after I looked at it. I was blown away by the vitriol surrounding the new crepetaria and I actually like seeing Ip
I think some folks are purist so any change is going to have implications but as @Nunu said everyone has their own opinion on what is important and its all good.
I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia and building memories. Most people in these threads were old enough to remember experiencing 80s/90s EPCOT so they're gonna have nostalgia for that era and think that everything about it was perfect. It was funny seeing people defend how the Electric Umbrella looked which sure, it did have its own personality but to pretend that it looks better than Connections HAS to be ironic in some way.

It's almost like how I will consider small details about Disney parks incredibly interesting and cool but someone who has no memories or connections to the parks would not care and would be more than annoyed if I told them about these details.

People have extreme bias for what they can connect to nostalgically speaking.

James Alucobond

To me, what's being discussed above and what you're talking about with IP are two fundamentally different things. Treating the EPCOT "brand" the same everywhere throughout the park is just a sign of general attention to detail—likewise for utilizing a consistent font, color scheme, and pavilion icon collection to help connect the disparate areas through familiar signage and wayfinding. I think everyone can agree that more attention to this kind of detail makes the experience better, even if some people are less bothered by it not being perfectly up to snuff.

The inclusion of IP, on the other hand, is more about the park's identity. It's gone from a facsimile of a world's fair to Disney rides with the aesthetic of a world's fair being used as window dressing. In this case, I think there's much more that can be left up to individual preference in terms of which is "better" (i.e. which they find more enjoyable as part of a Disney vacation), though there's of course the case to be made that a park designed with one theme in mind will inevitably feel a bit contrived when switching to something very different.

Goofyernmost

I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia and building memories. Most people in these threads were old enough to remember experiencing 80s/90s EPCOT so they're gonna have nostalgia for that era and think that everything about it was perfect. It was funny seeing people defend how the Electric Umbrella looked which sure, it did have its own personality but to pretend that it looks better than Connections HAS to be ironic in some way.

It's almost like how I will consider small details about Disney parks incredibly interesting and cool but someone who has no memories or connections to the parks would not care and would be more than annoyed if I told them about these details.

People have extreme bias for what they can connect to nostalgically speaking.
Sure, but in my mind nostalgia and building memories are about experiences. Impressive displays, Popcorn smells and individual experiences and how they impacted your memory and senses. Not committing directional signs, fonts etc. or any other non-entertainment item. I have been going there for over 36 years and not once held signs as a nostalgic part of my life. I recognize them when I see them but, if my life depended on it, I haven't ever paid enough attention to those types of non-solid emotional items to really be able to say... Hey they changed that sign from Comic Sans to Helvetica. And I was in printing and publishing for 14 years. I guess it boils down to feeling that it is strictly a utility item. Located within the show, but not the show. Like the seats in a theater. They help with us being able to witness the show, but are not part of the show. Nothing to remember here, move along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom