News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Cmdr_Crimson

Even though it isn't Jim, I'm glad they didn't showcase a re-record with the current Kermit.

I still can't "get" him as Kermit in my head.
Anytime I hear Matt Vogle as Kermit or Big Bird they sound like they are too depressed..

I still think this is how he got trained to become Kermit when he played Constantine..

UNCgolf

For the first time hearing the Muppet version, I like it! Might the only Kermit version be too mellow for the SSE Lights?

Possibly, but I think it's supposed to be a mellow song -- the lyrics don't really make sense otherwise. I also think mellow fits those lights at night.

Regardless, it sounds like I'm complaining about this and I'm not. I like the show! The lights are really well done.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

View attachment 613992

If only they had a character that's already part of the park and indeed the current festival that's long been associated with rainbows who has a theme song they could pair with this effect rather than shoving in using the Muppets.

Why, it could even fit into an anniversary theme, if there is a current one going on.

Perhaps the Epcot history books are already packed up in the U-Haul for the cross country move.
Is this supposed to be fascinating.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They Have the Caldor colors on those paint cans.
84FD3788-74DE-45A2-8C66-D1B246EB5A60.jpeg

Epcot82Guy

The version choice isn't my favorite. (I love that version - just for this use.). But that's artistic choice.

More importantly, that shows how to use Beacons of Magic. It was subtle. It built through the show. It used the "flashy"and "gaudy" - but in the finale. And it let SSE's beauty shine through. As stated, this is the best add and should have been the direction for all of the Epcot redo. At least someone gets it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I like that, although I wish they used the Kermit solo version of the song -- I think it's much better.

Very good use of the Spaceship Earth lights. None of the obnoxious gaudy stuff they sometimes do.
Agreed. This is the version from the Jason Segal Muppets movie and it’s awful.

They sing the verses with this bizarre rhythm where they sing the third syllable of each line on the offbeat instead of on the beat and it is horrific. It makes me sad to listen to it.

if they’d used the version from The Muppet Movie it would be wonderful. Instead it’s unwatchable.

Brer Oswald

View attachment 613992

If only they had a character that's already part of the park and indeed the current festival that's long been associated with rainbows who has a theme song they could pair with this effect rather than shoving in using the Muppets.

Why, it could even fit into an anniversary theme, if there is a current one going on.

Perhaps the Epcot history books are already packed up in the U-Haul for the cross country move.
The Muppet song fees random. Almost like they’re using it because WDI feels obligated to use them in some way. Not that it’s really that intrusive to begin with, but the cobbled together Spotify podcast evokes more of an Epcot feeling than this.

Playing the Arts section of the original JII would make more sense “Green summer hills, and rainbows play a part. A painter’s brush, a work of art!”. Fits the festival better too.

Even Captain EO music would fit better.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The version choice isn't my favorite. (I love that version - just for this use.). But that's artistic choice.

More importantly, that shows how to use Beacons of Magic. It was subtle. It built through the show. It used the "flashy"and "gaudy" - but in the finale. And it let SSE's beauty shine through. As stated, this is the best add and should have been the direction for all of the Epcot redo. At least someone gets it.
The entrance is such a tease, if We had no idea what was in store for the rest of the park we’d have a high and a big crash of a disappointment. At the same time if Epcot were then what it’s going to become we’d never be upset.

correcaminos

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's unwatchable, but it definitely doesn't have the impact (for me) that the original version would.
I am not a fan of this version either. Not unwatchable but I would not go out of my way to see this one. I like the beacons but not this song. Kind of glad I'll miss this one in person.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I am not a fan of this version either. Not unwatchable but I would not go out of my way to see this one. I like the beacons but not this song. Kind of glad I'll miss this one in person.

I'm not a fan of the "Ooo, look, overly-bright pretty lights!! Diznee iz the bestest!!!!" crap on SSE. Once again, subtlety is almost entirely thrown out the window in an attempt to wow the lowest common denominator. Use the pucks to enhance, not overpower and in many instances replace, the exterior lighting on SSE.

Brer Oswald

I'm not a fan of the "Ooo, look, overly-bright pretty lights!! Diznee iz the bestest!!!!" crap on SSE. Once again, subtlety is almost entirely thrown out the window in an attempt to wow the lowest common denominator. Use the pucks to enhance, not overpower and in many instances replace, the exterior lighting on SSE.
I thought this, until I visited. It looks really good when they mix the colours up, giving it a nice sense of depth. A shame that it replaces the glorious inverted sunset lighting.

However...

I read that when they were developing the park in the early 80s, Spaceship Earth had a solid colour lighting package. It made the icon look flat and ugly, which is when they decided to go with the sunset to make it pop. Sure enough, one of the options for the new points of light is a solid colour (typically white), and sure enough, it looks flat and ugly. It seems like they are repeating several mistakes from the past, but doing nothing to fix it.

ImperfectPixie

I thought this, until I visited. It looks really good when they mix the colours up, giving it a nice sense of depth. A shame that it replaces the glorious inverted sunset lighting.

However...

I read that when they were developing the park in the early 80s, Spaceship Earth had a solid colour lighting package. It made the icon look flat and ugly, which is when they decided to go with the sunset to make it pop. Sure enough, one of the options for the new points of light is a solid colour (typically white), and sure enough, it looks flat and ugly. It seems like they are repeating several mistakes from the past, but doing nothing to fix it.
The sunset lighting is stunning.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

However...

This is what it should look like (my pic failed to capture the white points of light a bit brighter, but this still gives the point):

54B43E0A-760E-41E3-9B9A-538B3123061A.jpeg

Not the LED billboard they seem to be in love with most of the evening.

correcaminos

Feel free to feel as you wish. I am hardly a Disney apologist and I have expressed my pretty much hatred of Harmonius. However after seeing the show in person - though not this Muppets version - it's hardly close to what you are describing to me. The music was beautiful and really spoke to me as a musician. The lights coordinated beautifully to the moving music. I cannot wait to go back to see it. This Muppets show uses a version that I don't care for. The lights are fine though. Like Harmonius it just lacks an emotional connection.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Feel free to feel as you wish. I am hardly a Disney apologist and I have expressed my pretty much hatred of Harmonius. However after seeing the show in person - though not this Muppets version - it's hardly close to what you are describing to me. The music was beautiful and really spoke to me as a musician. The lights coordinated beautifully to the moving music. I cannot wait to go back to see it. This Muppets show uses a version that I don't care for. The lights are fine though. Like Harmonius it just lacks an emotional connection, the Muppets scene(?) wasn’t what I was referring to, that looks fairly well done, with the noted exception of the wrong version of the song.
My apologies, my comment wasn’t directed at the Muppets scene(?), which looks like it was fairly well done, but they used the wrong version of the song. It was aimed at the other 90% of the time when they put the LED pucks on full power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom