News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

britain

I must be the only person who thinks the lights on Spaceship Earth are a step down from what we had before.

They’re “fine,” it’s no wand or hat disaster. But it’s technology that calls too much attention to itself. It’s not like it seems to “emanate” from the sphere. It’s fixtures. (Dare I say I really might have preferred projection mapping?)

Most of all it just makes it feel old to me, or at least not timeless. It’s like something more 70s-ish, especially when the warmer colors are used. Now spaceship earth is not a multifaceted mystery jewel, it’s a low res video display.

aliceismad

I must be the only person who thinks the lights on Spaceship Earth are a step down from what we had before.

They’re “fine,” it’s no wand or hat disaster. But it’s technology that calls too much attention to itself. It’s not like it seems to “emanate” from the sphere. It’s fixtures. (Dare I say I really might have preferred projection mapping?)

Most of all it just makes it feel old to me, or at least not timeless. It’s like something more 70s-ish, especially when the warmer colors are used. Now spaceship earth is not a multifaceted mystery jewel, it’s a low res video display.
I feel like this is valid, but I also feel like Epcot would be best served by not trying to go cutting edge, in some ways. (Not that projection is cutting edge.) This is different than Tree of Life, and it has it's own character.

Communicora

Premium Member

I like the twinkly part of the show that is reminiscent of the Eiffel Tower light show in Paris. The rest of it just feels too gaudy to me. I am hoping it looks a lot better in person. Perhaps it just doesn't photograph very well.

kevlightyear

I think the lights look gorgeous in pictures, and I'm interested to see what the impact is in person. Either way, I'm thrilled they took this project on. It was definitely worth it.

The lights definitely aren't subtle, though, that's for sure. Especially considering how bright they same to be. As part of a 'show' (even a minor one), sure go all out. But maybe if they toned it down for standard lighting it might be less distracting? Hard to say without being there in person.

kert2143

Are they still gonna do something about those large trees in front of SSE? I thought they would plant a new one where they took the dead one out.
That is the first thing that I noticed..... It ruins any photo... either plant a new tree or remove the one on the left.

maxairmike

So I absolutely love the lighting package and what they did with it in the end (I had my doubts, and I do think it's a bit too bright when left on a static scene for a while like they did once or twice last night), this is a home run without a doubt.

My only concern is that I haven't seen the spotlights between the pylons on the fountain turned on since early this year (I actually don't remember seeing them on since right after the reveal in December of last year, but willing to accept I might not be remembering perfectly), including last night. Hopefully that's just a finishing touch they're saving for tomorrow night, and they haven't been turned off already.

EricsBiscuit

From tonight:
3138EBB1-7393-474A-B783-6B88E577B1D9.jpeg
66AF43BF-DC50-494E-8D90-C1CAF6DD4F83.jpeg
3001E240-0B76-4F2A-9E8B-E6D75B783EC0.jpeg
DF1C52EE-4891-4F6C-A5D0-2EB78D6A2E11.jpeg

Tom Morrow

The lights need to be toned down by about 30% in brightness. When you are far away, you only see the points of light and not the triangle panels, and it does look carnival-esque. If they were dimmed, and the floodlights were increased, it would look more balanced. I also think that by default they should be twinkling and slowly pulsating. Like, a subtle "enchanted" look, rather than the 100% solid brightness look which is the current default and is a bit garish. But it's not a disaster or anything, I just hope they tweak it a bit more.

Goofyernmost

I'm just giving them a hard time. I can only imagine the work that goes into cleaning them. And they're porous concrete so they won't stay that way long.
Those beams had better not be porous or I am never riding the monorails again. What stains them is that those monorail trains run on rubber tires, between rubber wearing off the tires and the dust from the brakes it all just falls on the rails top and sides. It seems to us like it is such a short distance, but normally those trains are running at least 12 hours a day, all day, everyday the miles they put on those is mind boggling. The tires need to be strong walled but soft enough to offer and smooth ride.

1633113868455.png

As you can see, the big tire (Walking Wheel is what moves the train and the tires on either side do the job of holding the train snug to the rail and keeps it upright and stable. That's a lot of tire wear and even attempting to clean them is quite a task. It's like mopping the interstate highways.

Goofyernmost

Not the only person. Although I'm sure it is bright and colorful, it came at a cost. It cost the dignity of a once revered structure, the first of its kind, the first geodesic dome ever to exist. The hand was ok because it was just along side it, then they punch holds in it and attached fake stars making that magnificent building more of a billboard then a high quality historic engineering marvel. Now it is covered with lights and it has lost all it's dignity and has become just another prop to create ooh's and ah's instead of reverence! To me right now it closer resembles the Covid19 drawing then SSE.

1633115328502.png
1633115821354.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom