New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kman101

I think people need to stop comparing it to World of Color. These are meant to be two very different shows. We all like different things. This show was never going to appeal to everyone. What's lacking? It's really not that hard to follow. I just cringe seeing people sort of knock it because we could always get something worse, or full of Disney characters.

I think a lot of guests just don't know what to make of it unless you have booms in the sky and a character narrating to you.

I think it's absolutely beautiful.

Atomicmickey

This is TWDC. It's DAK. This thread is three years four months old alone.

It should be a home win. The second coming. Not a good base.

Imagine if RoE had debuted to so many mixed reviews and a consensus of average?

Don't get me wrong. I'm on record here as saying the park needs this show and needs this show to be spectacular. I hoped it would be. And hope it can be.

Agreed on all points 100 percent.

The big miss for me is no moment where you go "whoa, how did they do THAT!?!"

I am certain that the tech behind the floats and their positioning is cutting edge, but it's there to
make the show go, not to really give you a wow moment. A tech tool, means to an end.

Here's hoping for the future of the show.

EDIT: And, of course, I will probably like it more seeing it in person.

Touchdown

I think comparing World of Color and Rivers of Light to be very fair, the DNA of the shows are the same (fountains and water screens) they just tell different stories. They just need to add a punchline to the story, and they allready have it in California. I want the 50ft jet of fire, it would complete the show.

But that's my opinion, I find World of Color to be the "worst" nightshow in California, and I preferred 2014 Winter Dreams to the original show. I also thought Celebrate was about even with the original.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I think also today, far more people feel they are entitled to expressing opinion. And have infinitely more means to do so instantly. That's not a pop at anyone, more an observation at society in general.
But isn't that the beauty of today? The instant hot take and feedback? I personally love hearing people's opinions and points of view because sometimes it allows me to see things from a different point of view and not only my own. It helps me see things deeper and even say "wow you're right. I'll be on the lookout for that next time."

brb1006

My iPhone background is Rivers of Light, my computer background is Rivers of Light, the soundtrack is blasting when I shower, and I cannot wait to get my hands on one of those shirts!! Such a beautiful show! It was worth the wait :p
Hope you will make it on opening day next Friday

dreamscometrue

Interesting and seemingly in agreement social media postings today. Consensus is that it's nice and pretty and worth doing once.... but that's all.

That's from both personal posts and blog sites.

Slightly worrying.
I always see every nighttime show at every park, during every visit. So, I'll be a repeat viewer of this show. But, even if most guests only see the current show once, I expect (you'd know better than I) that there will be no shortage of people in DAK to likely fill the theater for one show nightly, for several months after Pandora opens. That gives Disney several months of good attendance to work on plussing the show if that is in future plans.

Lauratron

From watching the videos, the show is giving me the same feeling drone shows give me that I have a hard time articulating verbally. The barges in particular, like drones, move so slowly that I'm left feeling like I'm having a conversation with a person who is taking the longest time to get to the point of a story and and I keep leaning in hoping they'll get to the point quickly. Does anyone else get a similar feeling with these types of shows? I often feel like I'm "missing something" because while others are raving about the awesome technology - which I agree is pretty awesome - I'm still always overcome with that snail pace urgency feeling that prevents me from thinking it's truly remarkable.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'd have to rearrange two days of FP+ at this late date if I want to try to get one during my trip in 11 days. If there are even any available. So I'll just wait until my late April trip. And try not to watch any of the many YouTube videos that will show up over the next few weeks.

I thought about going over to DAK after my afternoon at MK to see if standby wouldn't be too bad, but that's going to be a long day for me (Princess Half) and I'm not sure I'll even make all my MK FP, after getting up early 3 days in a row.

-em

Audio question for those who've seen it in person. Is the audio a consistent volume the whole show or are there loud sudden noises (like the cannon fire in fant) and/Or is the overall volume 'loud' to you?

We have fp for the show next week and will have my 3 week old with us. We have ear protection but it's still a bit large so she hates it and while I'll prob force her to wear them if it's not loud I won't bother...

cjkeating

So, it may be a bit early (one day after soft open..) to talk about what is missing or what didn't make it through the past year however I thought I would try and comment on a few things that don't seem to have made it to the show either for artistic, technological, time or money reasons based on some of the videos I have seen.

> The shamans no longer start in the seating areas - this appears to be a last minute change
> The lanterns originally took the place of the lotus flowers that are out during the pre-show, the animal barges were introduced after the fire and water boats and THEN the lotus flowers
> The lanterns didn't appear to enter the middle of the lake but would provide a foreground close to the two seating areas
> Based on the concept art I think the main lotus originally had projectors/screens (like the smaller lanterns) that I don't believe it has
> The Aurora section now appears to focus more on the orange/blue split projection to aid the story
> The Tree of Life appears to have minimal interaction with the show, originally it appears to have had interaction during the Aurora/Celestial scenes whereas now it appears to have a downgraded spotlight package as the show ends

I would be interested if anyone with some inside knowledge could comment on if I have interpreted some/all of this correctly and if they know of why some of the changes were made?

FigmentJedi

So, it may be a bit early (one day after soft open..) to talk about what is missing or what didn't make it through the past year however I thought I would try and comment on a few things that don't seem to have made it to the show either for artistic, technological, time or money reasons based on some of the videos I have seen.

> The shamans no longer start in the seating areas - this appears to be a last minute change
> The lanterns originally took the place of the lotus flowers that are out during the pre-show, the animal barges were introduced after the fire and water boats and THEN the lotus flowers
> The lanterns didn't appear to enter the middle of the lake but would provide a foreground close to the two seating areas
> Based on the concept art I think the main lotus originally had projectors/screens (like the smaller lanterns) that I don't believe it has
> The Aurora section now appears to focus more on the orange/blue split projection to aid the story
> The Tree of Life appears to have minimal interaction with the show, originally it appears to have had interaction during the Aurora/Celestial scenes whereas now it appears to have a downgraded spotlight package as the show ends

I would be interested if anyone with some inside knowledge could comment on if I have interpreted some/all of this correctly and if they know of why some of the changes were made?
My guess is that the Gifts of Light processional being dropped is entirely related to the decision to trim the Animal Spirit parade sequence down.

Lauratron

No. :)

I'm a type 'A' personality who goes non stop and whose mind is always racing, so it's odd that a love these lyrical type of shows, but I really do very, very much.

I'm actually the same the same way (Type A, mind constantly-in-motion, etc). I should have been a little more clear in my post in that I love the music, and the lights, and the water and the theatrics...but it's that urgency feeling I get that mows over my enjoyment of those things and really distracts me, and like said, it often seems like I'm the only one experiencing this weird feeling. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who got that feeling :(

I think I would enjoy this new technology more if it wasn't always the foundation of shows and was instead a supporting feature. Then again, I might just be a weirdo. :happy:

Clamman73

I'm actually the same the same way (Type A, mind constantly-in-motion, etc). I should have been a little more clear in my post in that I love the music, and the lights, and the water and the theatrics...but it's that urgency feeling I get that mows over my enjoyment of those things and really distracts me, and like said, it often seems like I'm the only one experiencing this weird feeling. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who got that feeling :(

I think I would enjoy this new technology more if it wasn't always the foundation of shows and was instead a supporting feature. Then again, I might just be a weirdo. :happy:
Watching the video of it, it seems in that beginning part when the animal barges are moving around, the lotus fountains should be going or something else needs to be happening to give it something dynamic in that part b/c it's like you're just watching these animals float around the lake.

Lauratron

Watching the video of it, it seems in that beginning part when the animal barges are moving around, the lotus fountains should be going or something else needs to be happening to give it something dynamic in that part b/c it's like you're just watching these animals float around the lake.

Yes, exactly. That's where I felt it the most - from the beginning until the largest lotus barge showed up. I was picturing people riding around unchoreographed on slow moving amigos. I'd like to think if they all moved faster it would help with that and look more dance-like, but I imagine they can only go so fast due to water turbulence and what-not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom