New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

I will reserve final judgement until I see it in person, but what I just watched did not appear up to par with the existing nighttime shows Disney currently has. There are definitely some cool combinations of effects that may change that opinion when I view it in person, but this looks to be a significant step below anything currently running stateside.

Magic Feather

I will reserve final judgement until I see it in person, but what I just watched did not appear up to par with the existing nighttime shows Disney currently has. There are definitely some cool combinations of effects that may change that opinion when I view it in person, but this looks to be a significant step below anything currently running stateside.
I would personally put it above all of Studios' shows (Fant aside), but alas, it all all opinion. I will admit, the show is not in its ideal state, but this is close to what we were getting. The majority of grievances I have seen or heard have been calling for fireworks, WOC fountains, drones,and Disney Characters, only the last of which is feasible. I would be lying if I said that when this was first conceived, it was going to be an amazing show that fits everyone's desires with perfect balance and a clear climax, but this is the show that works the best. One proposal had ugly, unthemed Fountain barges coming out nightly for WoC Lite. Another was very close to JB: AwM, but with a variety of Disney Characteers. Point being, of all of the options, this was the nighttime show made for DAK. Also, the one that fits the message with its understated elegance. By no means is the current rendition perfect, but this is a perfect example of count your blessings.

cjkeating

So I just had a very quick skip through both of the videos that are going around... I think the show holds it own (my expectations are what we have been told about RoL... not WOC/fireworks etc.) but the finale of Aurora Borealis and Constellations appears non-existent. Have I missed something by skipping through the not so well filmed videos or are the projections and effects (yes I saw the fire lotus) after We Are One not very good or lacking?

I wish I could describe this better but I don't want to watch every frame of the show until I see it (in December!!)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There's certainly some very strong comparisons to be made with both WoC and DisneySea Symphony / Fant TDS. Minimal pyrotechnics, big use of the surface the show is presented on and in the WoC case low running costs.

One could also draw from DLPs Disney Dreams! - disappointing for those expecting a fireworks extravaganza, but a fitting multimedia show to end the day in the environment it was designed for. One stumbling block however could be that unlike Tokyo or Paris there are far bigger, louder and more explosive shows in the near vicinity which will always draw comparison.

The show will do its job and could continue to be plussed, and Joe Blogs will still try and get a fast pass for it, but after all it's been through over the last 4 years (!) will it have as much repeat viewing appeal as the others? Only time will tell.

flynnibus

Premium Member
wow... zero interest from me. Total pass.

I'm not sure why they go through all the effort to have driverless boats... then have the main boat driven by a tech right out in the open??? Why not make that driver part of the show instead of a show tech in their black shirt and headset.. :rolleyes:

El_Tomato

I think the show holds it own (my expectations are what we have been told about RoL... not WOC/fireworks etc.) but the finale of Aurora Borealis and Constellations appears non-existent. Have I missed something by skipping through the not so well filmed videos or are the projections and effects after We Are One not very good or lacking.
Couldn't agree more. After all of this, I thought that the Aurora Borealis finale would at least look cool.
But again, as others have said, this show probably can't really be translated into a smartphone screen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom