New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

NoChesterHester

Great to hear of this news and I'm super excited about both the Nighttime Safari and the new show.

1. I think it is time for some on here to eat some crow and admit that the Disney Hipsters report from a couple months ago had credence. The immediate squashing of any rumors on here gets old.

2. Sad to see this concept art side by side with the utterly gorgeous Pandora concept art. Disney should be ashamed. Horrible.

Matt_Black

What other places? and what stuff?

Well, there's the various nighttime entertainment at Magic Kingdom, IllumiNations at Epcot, Fantasmic at DHS, not to mention the nighttime stuff often found at DTD (of course, what with the Disney Springs revamp, that might be less in the immediate future)....

TTA94

Well, there's the various nighttime entertainment at Magic Kingdom, IllumiNations at Epcot, Fantasmic at DHS, not to mention the nighttime stuff often found at DTD (of course, what with the Disney Springs revamp, that might be less in the immediate future)....

I wasn't talking about the current offerings, Martin said other places will have More to offer..

TTA94

Cinespecs replacement and a new show in IOA.

Hopefully a full blown WoC type show Universal already started to use similar fountains so only seems logical they will expand on that. WDW seems to have no interest or intentions doing a WoC show.

JimboJones123

Was at AK near close last night. That place was hopping! At 7pm!

Disney would do very well by setting up a quicker time table this time around. The FLE was pathetic.

Side note: The Vineland Outlets expansion shot up super quickly and looks great. It is right down the street. No wjere near as slow as Disney construction.

Fable McCloud

Can't remember if I posted this or not, but isn't night time entertainment going to screw with the animals sleep and waking patterns?

I'm all for seeing the Tree all lit up, or riding Everest in the evening, but I thought Disney was trying to keep the animals on a schedule as close to their natural ones as they could allow. Won't having guests there disturb that?

The nocturnal animals would be really confused if all of a sudden there was bright lights and people everywhere.

AceGizmoBoy

The types of animals introduced on the safari actually don't sleep as much as you think.
Can't remember if I posted this or not, but isn't night time entertainment going to screw with the animals sleep and waking patterns?

I'm all for seeing the Tree all lit up, or riding Everest in the evening, but I thought Disney was trying to keep the animals on a schedule as close to their natural ones as they could allow. Won't having guests there disturb that?

The nocturnal animals would be really confused if all of a sudden there was bright lights and people everywhere.

The animals introduced on the safari actually don't sleep as much as you think nor are they on set sleeping schedules. For example, a giraffe only sleeps about 2 hours a day. I personally don't think a new nighttime safari experience will affect them too much.

They'll make sure that the animals are serviced before anything else. If any light source or "sleeping schedule" is going to negatively affect the animals, they'll find other methods of making this experience a possibility. They probably already have.

Fable McCloud

The types of animals introduced on the safari actually don't sleep as much as you think.

The animals introduced on the safari actually don't sleep as much as you think nor are they on set sleeping schedules. For example, a giraffe only sleeps about 2 hours a day. I personally don't think a new nighttime safari experience will affect them too much.

They'll make sure that the animals are serviced before anything else. If any light source or "sleeping schedule" is going to negatively affect the animals, they'll find other methods of making this experience a possibility. They probably already have.

Fair point. But wouldn't a nighttime safari be harder to see?

I'm still on the fence about this idea. I think it's both cool and has a ton of potential (especially when Pandora gets built, that would look GREAT at night), but at the same time, I always like AK being the day park, because I usually go from there to Downtown to get my shopping done without feeling like I left early... :rolleyes:

AceGizmoBoy

I'm still on the fence about this idea. I think it's both cool and has a ton of potential (especially when Pandora gets built, that would look GREAT at night), but at the same time, I always like AK being the day park, because I usually go from there to Downtown to get my shopping done without feeling like I left early... :rolleyes:

The visibility that daylight offers will always trump unnatural lighting, but it will make for an entirely new experience nonetheless. That, in itself, is exciting.

I'm sure they have a bunch of different ways of attracting animals towards the safari paths. And you never know; the lighting itself may be an attractive element for the animals. Therefore, if the lights are placed around the vehicle/ride path, they'll be in that general area, considering most of them aren't nocturnal.

You can still go enjoy a night at Downtown. Haha. But the option will always be there. It'll shed an entirely new light on AK. It's all very exciting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I heard they would be giving out night vision goggles on the nighttime safari. Actually, I just made that up, but it would be really cool wouldn't it?:rolleyes:

I think the point of adding nighttime entertainment is to make AK a full day park. Then you will skip a day visiting The Boy wizard down the street to get your shopping in at the fully redone Disney Springs shopping area.:greedy:

NoChesterHester

I heard they would be giving out night vision goggles on the nighttime safari. Actually, I just made that up, but it would be really cool wouldn't it?:rolleyes:

I think the point of adding nighttime entertainment is to make AK a full day park. Then you will skip a day visiting The Boy wizard down the street to get your shopping in at the fully redone Disney Springs shopping area.:greedy:

Think TDO would balk at the cost of night vision goggles for all guests? Nah.

NoChesterHester

That concept art is strrraaannnge. I still don't have any concept of what I'm looking at and I do this for a living.

Glowing butterflies in the Tree of Life - cool. I can get behind that.
Asian hat dude playing an American acoustic guitar - what?
Tapestry of Nations style puppet walkers - ok.
A glowing bandstand - ok?
Phosfloursecent face paints on kids - could be neat.
Not much else there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom