• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdrive

In order to cover the week, Disney must employ about 8 shamen total plus the folk in black on those shamen boats... say, another 4 people. If they drop the boats entirely, they've just saved on employing 12 people?

Kills me that they had so much trouble getting this show to open and then had some difficulties, but now that it's pretty near perfect they take an axe to it.
All the backstage personal too. The performers don't just show up for work and walk straight to the boat.

note2001

Advertisement
All the backstage personal too. The performers don't just show up for work and walk straight to the boat.
So true. I assume they need to keep the show director (not sure of their position title) on as well as staff for a fire boat, etc however, none of those positions require makeup or costuming.

JohnD

Cuts are across the board. They aren’t singling our Animal Kingdom. All non revenue generating business units are being mandated to cut operating expenses.
As I just pointed out above, they could be losing potential revenue (ie spending for a ROL dining package) due to this “non-revenue” cut. Congratulations, WDW, you just found a way to lose money on both sides of the ledger.

danheaton

I think it's possibly something more than just people waiting for Galaxy's Edge. I've been wondering for the past few years when the higher prices and cutbacks would scare away some guests. It's hardly that simple, but I think Disney has pushed increased prices while cutting costs (as we saw with the longer lines due to Ops cuts in January). Galaxy's Edge will still draw huge crowds, but that doesn't mean the decisions that Disney has made will be good for the resort long-term.

tocpE SE

I think it's possibly something more than just people waiting for Galaxy's Edge. I've been wondering for the past few years when the higher prices and cutbacks would scare away some guests. It's hardly that simple, but I think Disney has pushed increased prices while cutting costs (as we saw with the longer lines due to Ops cuts in January). Galaxy's Edge will still draw huge crowds, but that doesn't mean the decisions that Disney has made will be good for the resort long-term.
Disney has pushed the envelope so much with their price increases and tapping any and every possible revenue stream that a backlash is inevitable.

I know I'm not that ideal customer, but I already go less than I did five or even 10 years ago. I know several people who used to go once a year who go every two or three now.

monothingie

Mean Girl since 2005
Premium Member
Exactly. You’d think Aug-Sept. has never been the slow season before. But it’s more likely people delaying vacations until after SW:GE is open.
You’re still over a year away from SWGE opening. People haven’t event started planning for a 2019 Disney vacation yet. I certainly hope that they’re not attributing this slowdown due to that and not the record cost and crummy experience that guest surveys are supposedly recording. Because if that’s the case we are in for a rough 2019, especially when they raise the ticket prices in the fall and AP rates in February.

johnny johnston

I work with a casting director that brings in dance grouos/performers useing a government-subsidized work thing. Disney casting hires all the actss for harambe through this company useing all foreign performers. This entertainment is actually strangely enough government-subsidized so I doubt you'd be seeing any of that African performers cut they're cheaper to pay for labor wise versus an American.

Top Bottom