Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

yoda_5729

It's sad to see, if this is going the way some have forcasted, that Epcot is going to see a ton more IP and less about the actual countries. I think the only reason Disney will even try to keep the countries idea alive is to justify the restaurants. The countries themselves haven't been supporting the pavilions, so Disney probably figures if they are the ones having to spend the money on upkeep, it might as well be something they can make money off of.

I do not like the idea of the new permanent show, as to me it's fairly disposable and not very timeless. Also, Epcot had in the past always been the more adult park, and if they, or their children want a Disney nighttime show, no other park has the castle to benefit from. As stated, neither Greece nor Polynesia are even represented in the World Showcase. Also, Three Caballeros and Coco are not all that big of commercial properties, at least so far. Some Disney characters are fine, but when they dominate too much, it gets a bit frustrating.

If Three Caballeros is used, good on them, but most of the advertised fireworks are dominated by the newer movies, some of which pale in comparison to the more classic films. For example, I may be wrong about this, but "When you Wish Upon a Star" is not used in a single fireworks show anymore. How does that happen? Yet Moana and Hercules are going to be in 2? To me Epcot was never about classic animated Disney songs. It's just forcing them into places that are unnatural.

I think Disney got worried little kids weren't understanding Illuminations, so they felt the need to push characters into the show. However, with the great pyro and effects that Illuminations had, even if you didn't fully grasp the story, it was still a spectacular spectacle. This is just going to be like similar shows shown throughout Disney Parks worldwide, with very little personality to it, besides, these are the movies we can group with countries.

jrhwdw

It's sad to see, if this is going the way some have forcasted, that Epcot is going to see a ton more IP and less about the actual countries. I think the only reason Disney will even try to keep the countries idea alive is to justify the restaurants. The countries themselves haven't been supporting the pavilions, so Disney probably figures if they are the ones having to spend the money on upkeep, it might as well be something they can make money off of.

I do not like the idea of the new permanent show, as to me it's fairly disposable and not very timeless. Also, Epcot had in the past always been the more adult park, and if they, or their children want a Disney nighttime show, no other park has the castle to benefit from. As stated, neither Greece nor Polynesia are even represented in the World Showcase. Also, Three Caballeros and Coco are not all that big of commercial properties, at least so far. Some Disney characters are fine, but when they dominate too much, it gets a bit frustrating.

If Three Caballeros is used, good on them, but most of the advertised fireworks are dominated by the newer movies, some of which pale in comparison to the more classic films. For example, I may be wrong about this, but "When you Wish Upon a Star" is not used in a single fireworks show anymore. How does that happen? Yet Moana and Hercules are going to be in 2? To me Epcot was never about classic animated Disney songs. It's just forcing them into places that are unnatural.

I think Disney got worried little kids weren't understanding Illuminations, so they felt the need to push characters into the show. However, with the great pyro and effects that Illuminations had, even if you didn't fully grasp the story, it was still a spectacular spectacle. This is just going to be like similar shows shown throughout Disney Parks worldwide, with very little personality to it, besides, these are the movies we can group with countries.
It's used in MK's NYE Fantasy, DL's RDCT(if it's not retired now)

Kman101

I feel like drones are a bit of a pipe dream. Probably the new lanterns. 'What could have been'. I know a lot can be done but is there really this need/demand for drones in a show? I feel like it's a lot of effort for a small pay-off, but that's my take. Drones don't really excite me I guess.

yoda_5729

It's used in MK's NYE Fantasy, DL's RDCT(if it's not retired now)

I wasn't counting the special shows that only appear on a holiday. When you Wish Upon a Star is one of the most classic Disney songs around. Most of the truly classic songs have been seemingly retired, and if....if....they have to do it more IP focused, turning their backs on those, to me doesn't make much sense. It's pretty weird of Disney, if the only way you can see fireworks with arguably the most iconic disney song of all time, is to visit on NYE. The vast majority of guests can't do that. Most of the Disney movies they are including though, to me aren't all that big in the grand scheme of things. Though Animal Kingdom obviously does have some Disney characters, Jungle Book, and Lion KIng aren't all over the park, and they actually make more sense in a lot of ways then forcing Moana in a park that the only reference to Polynesia is a short segment in Soarin'. If they wanted to add an attraction in Magic Kingdom, continue to use it in HEA, or do some things with it in the Polynesian Resort, that makes sense. It's sad to me because, what Epcot represents is unique in the entire World. There is only one Epcot. Mutating that into Disneyland with countries, is just ruining the environment and planning that went into the park decades ago. Everything changes, but the way they are presenting this, it seems almost more like a complete overhaul, like Hollywood Studios, then just more Disney. For the record, we still don't even know what the mess that is Hollywood Studios is even going to be called or try to represent besides, these IPs are popular land.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I feel like drones are a bit of a pipe dream. Probably the new lanterns. 'What could have been'. I know a lot can be done but is there really this need/demand for drones in a show? I feel like it's a lot of effort for a small pay-off, but that's my take. Drones don't really excite me I guess.
Off topic: I guess Drones are now in Radio City's Christmas Spectacular's finale. IDK if they were the DS Drones. Havent seen a YT vid so IDK how good they look.

I would hope the Pavilion lighting would be used in Epcot Forever. But what about the full replacement?

PuertoRekinSam

Drones can be used to great effect. As long as they are well disguised. For example, the car in the Marvel stunt show in Paris is a drone. But it doesn’t “look like a drone” and adds a unique wow to the show that dangling from wires couldn’t replacate as nicely.

yoda_5729

I'm afraid Disney is getting to the point where they no longer want to do things that are new and different, and want to go the safe route, of simply falling back on the popularity of their characters. I must admit, I'd pick different characters, but quite a few people know about almost any Disney character. What the characters do, though is hide products that might not be as appealing as originally thought. The same is true of movies. If you have a movie that's not very good, but iconic legendary characters are in it, it will make it an average movie and not a horrible one. In a way, it's the Dumbo factor. Dumbo the Flying elephant is nothing but a carnival ride, but because Dumbo is what you are riding in, and everyone has to, and wants to ride it, it becomes something else. (For the record, I LOVE Dumbo).

Most of the truly iconic rides at Disney World, and at Disneyland, had little to do with any property Disney already had. Yes, there were the Dumbos, Mad Tea Party, and Peter Pan's Flight. But these are the attractions that had nothing to do with an already well known property.
It's a Small World, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Enchanted Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Space Mountain, WedWay Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, (for the record I forgot a few in Big Thunder, Country Bear Jamboree, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest, Horizons, Soarin' etc.)all have nothing to do with Disney properties. I don't see children refusing to ride them because they don't know or have a pre-existing knowledge of it.

The temporary show, I am far more interested in seeing then the one being billed as the permanent one. That all being said, I do usually like and appreciate any Disney show, but I am starting to get annoyed by the IP usage being forced, when you have other places it makes sense to use them in like Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom (many of which, for the record, already are.)

Last edited:

Kman101

I'm afraid Disney is getting to the point where they no longer want to do things that are new and different, and want to go the safe route, of simply falling back on the popularity of their characters. I must admit, I'd pick different characters, but quite a few people know about almost any Disney character. What the characters do, though is hide products that might not be as appealing as originally thought. The same is true of movies. If you have a movie that's not very good, but iconic legendary characters are in it, it will make it an average movie and not a horrible one. In a way, it's the Dumbo factor. Dumbo the Flying elephant is nothing but a carnival ride, but because Dumbo is what you are riding in, and everyone has to, and wants to ride it, it becomes something else. (For the record, I LOVE Dumbo).

Most of the truly iconic rides at Disney World, and at Disneyland, had little to do with any property Disney already had. Yes, there were the Dumbos, Mad Tea Party, and Peter Pan's Flight. But these are the attractions that had nothing to do with an already well known property.
It's a Small World, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Enchanted Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Space Mountain, WedWay Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, all have nothing to do with Disney properties. I don't see children refusing to ride them because they don't know or have a pre-existing knowledge of it.

The temporary show, I am far more interested in seeing then the one being billed as the permanent one. That all being said, I do usually like and appreciate any Disney show, but I am starting to get annoyed by the IP usage being forced, when you have other places it makes sense to use them in like Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom (many of which, for the record, already are.)

I'm mostly with you on all of this. It's feeling forced. I know for some it has for a long time now but I don't need or want a celebration of Disney movie music at Epcot. I think it *could* be cleverly done but I doubt it will be (one of the Tree of Life Awakening segments is 'IP' based but IMO, tastefully and well done). I'd love them to prove me wrong. I think there's a tasteful way but it's still not going to make a lot of purists happy.

And I imagine a similar offering with Disney Animals *TM for a Rivers of Light replacement.

But when people pan ROL, they apparently think it's the lack of IP that's the problem. No, the lack of IP is far from the problem ... sigh

TTA94

I’m guessing Epcot Forever will not feature any fountain barges or the globe but continue to use the other existing tech?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom