New Muppets Studio/Rides coming to Hollywood Studio's?

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
Dear all,

I found an episode of Dateline from the 1990s outlining the expansion of the Disney-MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studio's) with Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers, the Baby Herman attraction, and the Muppet Studios.

Now, there's a new Muppet Movie coming

images

Do you think this will lead to an DHS-Muppets expansion/ride/themeland?

You know that WDW may announce STARWARSland soon.. in a couple of months :)

- EnchantedMouse

Bork Bork

If I only thought about all of Disney's woulda, coulda, shoulda projects I would cry myself to sleep every night. A Muppet Movie Ride would make this Chef super stoked, but history is not on our side.

Thanks for the upbeat delivery, but I think we'll all be surprised if we see anything announced any time soon regarding SW, let alone Muppets related attractions.

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
I really don't see anything coming for the Muppets - that ship seems to have sailed long ago.

You're right..

Muppet*Vision 3D, which was the last film directed by Jim Henson, was also the last of the originally planned attractions to be built. The attraction was originally slated to anchor a new Muppet Studios section of the park, nestled between Star Tours and New York Street. But when the Disney/Henson merger fell through, plans to build the Muppet Movie Ride and the Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor were abandoned.
- The Muppets Wikia

There is a chance.. now that the new movie is coming up.. but StarWars has a larger fan-base and the Muppets is quite boring for Disney-visitors.. That's why the 3D-Ride is not so popular.. ;) just like the ride Captain EO starring Michael Jackson, a popular ride in the 80s while the comeback of the ride was not quite a succes.. :p

-EnchantedMouse

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
@wm49rs

I know that the interview is old. But, Disney World could suprise some Muppet-fans while a new movie is already running. It could also be a tribute to Jim Henson, just like they did with Michael Jackson, but I don't think it is going to be a large success. :)

-EnchantedMouse

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
@wm49rs

I know that the interview is old. But, Disney World could suprise some Muppet-fans while a new movie is already running. It could also be a tribute to Jim Henson, just like they did with Michael Jackson, but I don't think it is going to be a large success. :)

-EnchantedMouse
They had a successful movie last year which unfortunately did not result in anything new. I don't see the next one, regardless of its success, making any impact either....

midwest_mice

I would love to see a Muppets ride just as much as the next guy, but we all know that unless the new movie hits half a billion in revenue, they probably won't even give it a second thought. Too bad the Great Movie Ride couldn't be converted somehow and was in a different location in the park.

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
I would love to see a Muppets ride just as much as the next guy, but we all know that unless the new movie hits half a billion in revenue, they probably won't even give it a second thought. Too bad the Great Movie Ride couldn't be converted somehow and was in a different location in the park.

@midwest_mice

I hate TGMR, they could build a much ''greater'' ride/themed land instead.. MUPPETSLAND :D

Jokes, jokes, jokes.

-EnchantedMouse

note2001

Are the Muppets Dated? No more than Mickey is.

I think there's plenty of opportunity with the Muppets to build out something amazing in HS. Is there enough for a whole land? No. But an incredible ride as well as pre and post ride experience? Yes. The muppets are known for entertaining both children and adults alike. Imagine an interactive ride (not just a screen) which can read our magic bands and maintain a conversation with us not just during the ride, but day to day, and even year to year. Of course, this technology could carry through to other rides, but there's something more entertaining about conversing with a character that 'lives' in our world, such as Kermit than say, with Lightning McQeeen.

It would take a combo of the dedication to quality the older imagineers have alongside the tech savvy of the new imagineers to pull it off though. These days, however, the more experienced guys from whom we see the 'amazing' side of imagineering come seem to have their heads in the clouds (Pandora anyone?) Meanwhile the newer guys do their very best and come up with ... interesting, but lacking in showmanship and soon to be dated material (Test track update).

dr_teeth90210

While the likelihood of the Muppet Studios ever coming to fruition isn't positive, I will tell you something that excites me more. The Jim Henson Exhibition and Gallery is coming to the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC next year. It's a permanent tribute showcasing over 200 muppets plus sketches, Henson's personal items, etc.
Here's a link with more info. I'm psyched!

http://www.movingimage.us/exhibitions/2013/11/06/detail/the-jim-henson-exhibition-and-gallery/

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
Are the Muppets Dated? No more than Mickey is.

I think there's plenty of opportunity with the Muppets to build out something amazing in HS. Is there enough for a whole land? No. But an incredible ride as well as pre and post ride experience? Yes. The muppets are known for entertaining both children and adults alike. Imagine an interactive ride (not just a screen) which can read our magic bands and maintain a conversation with us not just during the ride, but day to day, and even year to year. Of course, this technology could carry through to other rides, but there's something more entertaining about conversing with a character that 'lives' in our world, such as Kermit than say, with Lightning McQeeen.

It would take a combo of the dedication to quality the older imagineers have alongside the tech savvy of the new imagineers to pull it off though. These days, however, the more experienced guys from whom we see the 'amazing' side of imagineering come seem to have their heads in the clouds (Pandora anyone?) Meanwhile the newer guys do their very best and come up with ... interesting, but lacking in showmanship and soon to be dated material (Test track update).

@note2001

The Muppets are not dated, at all. I LOVE the Muppets and I think most people do too. I just think it won't fit in the park, now that they're planning to build StarWarsLand in HS. I don't really know if the Muppets 3-D Vision Ride is really succesfull.. I love the 3-D Movie and I think WDW shouldn't replace it with something else :p but.. WDW may have other plans. The future of WDW & The Muppets isn't quite good. :(

- EnchantedMouse

FigmentJedi

While the likelihood of the Muppet Studios ever coming to fruition isn't positive, I will tell you something that excites me more. The Jim Henson Exhibition and Gallery is coming to the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC next year. It's a permanent tribute showcasing over 200 muppets plus sketches, Henson's personal items, etc.
Here's a link with more info. I'm psyched!

http://www.movingimage.us/exhibitions/2013/11/06/detail/the-jim-henson-exhibition-and-gallery/
And there's also the Puppetry Center of Atlanta's expansion plans including a Jim Henson Wing with 500 items from the Henson archives

http://www.puppet.org/believeinmakebelieve/index.shtml

Cmdr_Crimson

Now, there's a new Muppet Movie coming

images

Do you think this will lead to an DHS-Muppets expansion/ride/themeland?

You know that WDW may announce STARWARSland soon.. in a couple of months :)

- EnchantedMouse

It was supposed to happen.....They had concept art at the ready...
Muppet%2BCtyd.jpg

Concept art for The Great Muppet Movie Ride..
Muppets.jpg

But where did it all go? Like all other ideas that look so friggin cool and amazing.....
10823225-large.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom