New Muppets Ride Rumor

DisneyDrum

Original Poster
Here's something I haven't seen posted. NY Times Article:

"More Muppet-theme attractions are being discussed for Disney theme parks."

Any thoughts? Muppets Movie Ride coming back to life perhaps?

MiklCraw4d

Here's something I haven't seen posted. NY Times Article:

"More Muppet-theme attractions are being discussed for Disney theme parks."

Any thoughts? Muppets Movie Ride coming back to life perhaps?

That would be *amazing*

I still think that not building out the Muppet Studios area at MGM was one of the all-time major missteps by management. And I want *real* Muppet mayhem, not the lame, soft-edged Muppets of recent years.

The real Muppets have been gone too long. Bring 'em back, I say!

Cmdr_Crimson

That would be *amazing*

I still think that not building out the Muppet Studios area at MGM was one of the all-time major missteps by management. And I want *real* Muppet mayhem, not the lame, soft-edged Muppets of recent years.

The real Muppets have been gone too long. Bring 'em back, I say!

I'd definatley would really like to see more of the Muppets again at the studios It wouldn't be hard to revamp the area around Muppetvision..If they could do Pixar Place they can make Muppet Studios.

DABIGCHEEZ

Can you guess they are my favorites???? I would love there to be a Muppetland next to Pixar Place or in one of the other parks. I just hope this works this time.

majortom1981

hmm

I do not want disney to do anything else with the muppets unless they do it right with full force . Not doing it half heartedly .

From what i saw at a special muppets thing here on long island and from personally talking to mrs henson jim was a genius and I don't want to see his work screwed up any more then what they other owners have done.Id rather see the muppets fadethen have them done wrong.

DivineMadness7

It's tough not to get your hopes up about this, but I've been trying pretty hard. When the news came out that Jason Segel (of How I Met Your Mother and Forgetting Sarah Marshall fame) was writing the new movie, I was thrilled. It only makes sense that if Disney wants to turn them into a $300 million/year marketing draw (stated in the NY Times article) that a ride/other park addition could accompany a movie or STRING of movies (I guess I'm an optimist.)

Every year that passes, fewer of the children in my mom's 1st grade classroom know who Kermit and Miss Piggy are and it always breaks my heart. Sort of funny in the article, the father who had tried to get the girls to watch Muppet dvds but they were uninterested until they saw them on the Disney channel. Figures. Dad never knows what's cool but TV always does! :brick:

mickeysaver

Well, I am sure that someone has given thought to putting the "Build-a-Bear" Muppet themed knock off store in the newly reimagineered PI shopping district. I was hoping that they would put in a "Build-a-Bear" with all of the cool Disney costumes like they have at DL, but I am thinking that I am not going to be quite so lucky.

WDWFigment

I certainly hope something for the Disney parks comes to fruition. I don't know if the Great Muppet Movie Ride idea is still floating around WDI (if it ever actually was), but I think that would be one hilarious attraction.

DivineMadness7

Well, I am sure that someone has given thought to putting the "Build-a-Bear" Muppet themed knock off store in the newly reimagineered PI shopping district. I was hoping that they would put in a "Build-a-Bear" with all of the cool Disney costumes like they have at DL, but I am thinking that I am not going to be quite so lucky.

In the NY Times article, it discusses FAO Schwarz building a "Muppet boutique" where you can build your own Muppet. Seems to me that would be ideal for the Downtown shopping expansion that is supposedly coming. They would get at least a couple hundred (or thousand :lookaroun) out of me because there would be no way I could resist building my own Muppets! :lol:

WDW Lover

Linky no worky for me. Maybe I was just too lazy or cookie conscious to sign up, but I digress.

I saw that new American Express commercial that starts out with Jim Henson and has American Express commercial through the years in it. I thought to myself, "how relevant are the Muppets today?". That's reinforced by the kids who didn't want to watch the Muppet movies and first graders who don't know them.

I grew up on them, so I still have a fondness. They are FAR from mainstream these days and are on a back burner WAY, WAY back on the Disney stove. We adults, and I use that term loosely, still love them, but do/will our kids? Sure, Muppet Vision 3D is nice. But, does kids enjoying that neccessarilly make them Muppets fans? Not any more than HISTA makes kids run out to watch those movies and want to buy Rick Moranis t-shirts. :rolleyes:

Having said all of that...I'm a fan of any proposed Muppets projects at the park(s). However I think that Disney will have to step up and push the Muppets on tv and movies/DVD to make it work. BTW, I think Disney needs to push ALOT of their "older" characters as well, from Mickey on down, to keep them relevant in this Pixar, Hanna Montana, HSM, Shrek, Dora, Sponge Bob world.

DivineMadness7

Linky no worky for me. Maybe I was just too lazy or cookie conscious to sign up, but I digress.

I saw that new American Express commercial that starts out with Jim Henson and has American Express commercial through the years in it. I thought to myself, "how relevant are the Muppets today?". That's reinforced by the kids who didn't want to watch the Muppet movies and first graders who don't know them.

I grew up on them, so I still have a fondness. They are FAR from mainstream these days and are on a back burner WAY, WAY back on the Disney stove. We adults, and I use that term loosely, still love them, but do/will our kids? Sure, Muppet Vision 3D is nice. But, does kids enjoying that neccessarilly make them Muppets fans? Not any more than HISTA makes kids run out to watch those movies and want to buy Rick Moranis t-shirts. :rolleyes:

Having said all of that...I'm a fan of any proposed Muppets projects at the park(s). However I think that Disney will have to step up and push the Muppets on tv and movies/DVD to make it work. BTW, I think Disney needs to push ALOT of their "older" characters as well, from Mickey on down, to keep them relevant in this Pixar, Hanna Montana, HSM, Shrek, Dora, Sponge Bob world.

I love that commercial! It was on earlier tonight and made me cry :lookaroun

Speaking of HISTA....This is likely an unpopular opinion, but I think the Muppets are a PERFECT fit for the Imagination pavilion. :lookaroun Now before you tar and feather me, I'm not saying to kick Figment to the curb. But I would like to see the Muppets in Epcot, working in an educational capacity. Why not shut down HISTA and use that space for something Muppet related? (not another 3D movie, obviously!) The Muppets AND Figment in the same building...I may never leave! Put them in WoL and fit them to whatever theme that pavilion (eventually) gets. I like the idea of the Muppet studio at DHS, but I guess I would like to see the Muppets spread out through the parks a bit. And then there's the question of WHERE in the studio?

I have a feeling the lack of Muppet-love in the younger generation is a combination between lack of exposure and kids not "getting" the Muppet humor. The ones I have tried to indoctrin...expose ;) to the Muppets have generally been apathetic and/or bored. Lack of an attention span seems to be an easy scape-goat excuse but it seems to fit at times.

This generation will have to find the Muppets on their own. I just hope that doesn't mean more Muppet productions like "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" from a few years back, where they were clearly trying to play to a younger audience with "hip" and often too risque references...that was painful as a loyal Muppetite to watch :brick:

(Disclaimer: Before someone mentions the adult origins of the Muppets, I know. But that was different. The Muppets are at their best when they can bridge the generation gap with universal humor, not pop culture and slang references....YMMV, I suppose :wave:)

What a wonderful idea!!!! I love the muppets!! They can start with renovating Muppet Vision 3D. Then turning that whole area into a Muppets area. Like turn the Pizza Planet into a muppet themed resturant and than they can move Pizza Planet over to Pixar Place. Then they could have muppet meet and greats!!! Omg! I would love to have my picture taken with Kermit and Miss Piggy and Gonzo and Fozzy and Pepe!!!! (gotta love Pepe ok! he he :lol:) Hopefully the new Muppet movie will spark interest in them again and that way Disney will actually pay attention to them.

On a side note (kind of). Disney really needs to stop with this theory of "If they like something, give them as much as we possibly can." I really really hope that HSM3 is the end of that mess and that Princess and the Frog can finally get disney to realize what is important. Yes I know they are a business and they do what makes them money. Ok Im done

Susan Savia

I would love to see some sort of Muppet area in Hollywood Studios. Another ride, perhaps on the order of Imagination with the characters throughout. Can't go to HS without a visit to see the Muppets!!

Next Trip - January 2009

bfbulldog

I'd love it if even half of the things they mentioned in the article comes to pass. I loved the muppets as a kid and I still get a kick out of the show at the studio even though it's getting a little long in the tooth. Even my kids at 3 and 5 get a kick out of it and could pick out kermit and fozzie out of a lineup. If Disney could come up with a half hour muppet show for the Disney channel, then the muppets could really take off again. Here's hoping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom