News New movie coming Epcot's Canada Pavilion

Rich Brownn

I think the concern is that they won't be able to 'sew' the images together digitally without blurring or 'artifacts' from the process. Perhaps the tech is to the point they can make it invisible. Would be amazing.
You could not "stitch" the current films together, as the gap between screens is actually accounted for in the film (the cameras left a small gap) so they'd not line up. In other words, the space between the screens is actually there in the film as well (small in France, but somewhat large in CircleVision).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think the concern is that they won't be able to 'sew' the images together digitally without blurring or 'artifacts' from the process. Perhaps the tech is to the point they can make it invisible. Would be amazing.
You could not "stitch" the current films together, as the gap between screens is actually accounted for in the film (the cameras left a small gap) so they'd not line up. In other words, the space between the screens is actually there in the film as well (small in France, but somewhat large in CircleVision).
This.

Should any current film run on a seamless screen there would be a digitally or physically (they’re not sure) produced black gap between images.

ThatMouse

The films have overlap happening in the gap. The black bars just hide the fact that they don't line up, due to how lenses curve the edges of the image onto film. They used straight up 4:3 aspect ratio to reduce the curve but it's still there especially in the corners.

The reason I think the original would look like crap on the new projectors is that you don't need 9 projectors anymore to do 360. Heck consumers are MAKING 360 videos with just one camera and someone is making a single 360 projector. So the problem is that the original film is still just 9 separate films. That's a prime number. You cannot cut that down to fewer projectors without effectively adding more seams and thus smudging the image quality. I don't know what the industry uses for 360 anymore, but I think it's 5 cameras.

My point is we can only HOPE Disney is making new films that would blow us away like the originals did back in the 1980s!

jt04

The films have overlap happening in the gap. The black bars just hide the fact that they don't line up, due to how lenses curve the edges of the image onto film. They used straight up 4:3 aspect ratio to reduce the curve but it's still there especially in the corners.

The reason I think the original would look like crap on the new projectors is that you don't need 9 projectors anymore to do 360. Heck consumers are MAKING 360 videos with just one camera and someone is making a single 360 projector. So the problem is that the original film is still just 9 separate films. That's a prime number. You cannot cut that down to fewer projectors without effectively adding more seams and thus smudging the image quality. I don't know what the industry uses for 360 anymore, but I think it's 5 cameras.

My point is we can only HOPE Disney is making new films that would blow us away like the originals did back in the 1980s!

Can't they just fill in the blank areas with new images that blend them digitally?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 3, 2019. The waterfall over the Canadian movie building has been turned off during the rock refurbishment. A first time guest actually asked me: "What used to be here....?"

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

Last edited:

Jonathan Dalecki

I still put on the original O!Canada on youtube for background during my lunch breaks. It's so soothing. The overlay with Martin Short was funny, but not as much in the spirit of the original. I hope whatever they're doing hearkens back more to the original.

Sky

How long has it been since the rock work got some TLC? Genuinely can’t think of it ever getting some love.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

What is the product of 3 multiplied by 3?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, July 19, 2019. Additional construction scrims now cover the waterfall feature over the rockwork at the theatre. The water is turned off, of course, to refurbish the rocks. View from the upper level.

IMG_1621.JPG

The movie "O Canada!" is still playing. The view along the lower pathway, with construction scrims covering the waterfall feature.

IMG_1623.JPG

In the below view looking towards the front of the attraction, the waterfall would be behind the scrim to the left.

IMG_1622.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, August 8, 2019. Since my last post of July 19th, the lower walkway next to the waterfall has been closed off. If you make the trek to the upper level, this is what you see (and surprise, it's a dead end, you have to walk back the way you came). Nothing to see here, move along... Well, there is a curious item....the evergreen tree that was on the right has been cut down (see stump). Also notice the gaping hole in the center of the photo, where plants used to be. The support for the large pot can be seen inside, as well as the water line for the plants.

IMG_1666.JPG

The view from the main pathway is much better now....as a photo wrap was installed on the beige construction scrim. It looks like the original rocks, but it's a photo overlay.

IMG_1667.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom