Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

montyz81

Replying in response to a few comments:

They are prestressed, hollow polystyrene core with steel reinforcement. The 71 guideway has continuous post tensioning through every 6 spans. The Epcot guideway may be every 5, but don’t quote me. Like anything, they are not forever, but with proper maintenance they should be fine for decades to come. The Epcot beam needs more maintenance to maintain a smooth ride and prevent excessive wear on the trains, but it’s not as bad as some make it out to be. They do perform maintenance on the guideways and pylons when necessary, regularly. Can Disney build more track? Sure. They added the spur with switch for the tractors a few years back. That‘s brand new track at the time, cast to the original 1971 specifications. People make assumptions about the system not being maintained/improved because it’s a free ride…it’s not. The cost of that ride is built into the cost of the resorts and the gate tickets, plus there’s specific budgets from the development and RCID side. Disney knows the costs to build / maintain / operate / expand every transportation service on the property. They maintain what they need to. If/when it becomes necessary / cost effective to expand the system, they will. Is it to the standards it used to be? Not always, just as much to my dismay as yours. But the important maintenance is always done. Yes, the train control system can be fully automated, but it‘s more the Disney way to have a smiling face on board. Last, I expect the next generation of trains to have a flush floor. Fun stories that are out there from those involved with getting the beams from one end of the country to the other back in the day: “getting those 337 beam pieces from Washington to Florida cost approximutely $980,000 in freight.” “2 of the trains carrying the guideways ended up in a ditch instead of on the rails.”
I heard about the ditched trains a few years back. I have never heard the extend of the details of the beams that had to be ditched. Are there any news articles on that story?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Replying in response to a few comments:

They are prestressed, hollow polystyrene core with steel reinforcement. The 71 guideway has continuous post tensioning through every 6 spans. The Epcot guideway may be every 5, but don’t quote me. Like anything, they are not forever, but with proper maintenance they should be fine for decades to come. The Epcot beam needs more maintenance to maintain a smooth ride and prevent excessive wear on the trains, but it’s not as bad as some make it out to be. They do perform maintenance on the guideways and pylons when necessary, regularly. Can Disney build more track? Sure. They added the spur with switch for the tractors a few years back. That‘s brand new track at the time, cast to the original 1971 specifications. People make assumptions about the system not being maintained/improved because it’s a free ride…it’s not. The cost of that ride is built into the cost of the resorts and the gate tickets, plus there’s specific budgets from the development and RCID side. Disney knows the costs to build / maintain / operate / expand every transportation service on the property. They maintain what they need to. If/when it becomes necessary / cost effective to expand the system, they will. Is it to the standards it used to be? Not always, just as much to my dismay as yours. But the important maintenance is always done. Yes, the train control system can be fully automated, but it‘s more the Disney way to have a smiling face on board. Last, I expect the next generation of trains to have a flush floor. Fun stories that are out there from those involved with getting the beams from one end of the country to the other back in the day: “getting those 337 beam pieces from Washington to Florida cost approximutely $980,000 in freight.” “2 of the trains carrying the guideways ended up in a ditch instead of on the rails.”
Oh I’m not saying they skimp on maintenance - to be clear - I’m estimating that the management considers the whole monorail system to be non-essential and won’t reinvest to keep them as a frontline transport system as the costs rise with less yield
I'm not sure if your response is a question or a statement. Is that connected to the fact that they have lasted this long because of pre-stressing or something else? Please clarify.
I’m just saying that at some point there will be large bills associated with the system that the management doesn’t know how to address/handle.

fgmnt

The only case I could see for reinvestment in the Monorail system under current management would be a significant uptick in room inventory that could be serviced by the Monorail: DVC Polynesian Tower, EPCOT north entrance hotel, successful development of the land between the contemporary and ttc. You know, loosely conditional on things that may not happen and most people on here don't want anyway.

The half joking about charging for monorail access? that would be my hard limit, I think. I don't need to do anything that badly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only case I could see for reinvestment in the Monorail system under current management would be a significant uptick in room inventory that could be serviced by the Monorail: DVC Polynesian Tower, EPCOT north entrance hotel, successful development of the land between the contemporary and ttc. You know, loosely conditional on things that may not happen and most people on here don't want anyway.

The half joking about charging for monorail access? that would be my hard limit, I think. I don't need to do anything that badly.
That is a reasonable idea.

I still think they would lean towards some different system however.

those things burn electricity from an era where they still thought burning oil was “cool”

trainplane3

I heard about the ditched trains a few years back. I have never heard the extend of the details of the beams that had to be ditched. Are there any news articles on that story?
They actually mention the train derailment in the "Trains, Trams, and Monorails" episode of Behind the Attraction. They don't go in depth, but it is officially (and briefly) talked about.

Disone

Like 50 years worth of vibration, storms and Florida’s “quickly” water table tested?

Indeed…20,000 was above services
Like the rivers of America, no part of the 20K Lagoon or the rivers of America went over the Magic Kingdom's utilidor. Neither body of water has ever been over any functioning part of the Magic Kingdom's utilidor. 20k lagoon was ajoining with mens waredrobe but was not on top of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Like the rivers of America, no part of the 20K Lagoon or the rivers of America went over the Magic Kingdom's utilidor. Neither body of water has ever been over any functioning part of the Magic Kingdom's utilidor. 20k lagoon was ajoining with mens waredrobe but was not on top of it.
I honestly don’t care…but I think the point that whoever brought it was making is the lagoon could’ve messed with the system (potentially) if if the 20,000 lagoon spring leaks…I don’t think Joe potter figured out how to keep 10,000,000 gallons of water out of the subterranean caves right next door?

it’s gone/moot anyway

Goofyernmost

Oh I’m not saying they skimp on maintenance - to be clear - I’m estimating that the management considers the whole monorail system to be non-essential and won’t reinvest to keep them as a frontline transport system as the costs rise with less yield

I’m just saying that at some point there will be large bills associated with the system that the management doesn’t know how to address/handle.
I'm pretty sure there are already very large bills and have been for a couple of decades now, but they must have figured by now that it is more economical to periodically rebuild on the solid frame then to buy new. Let's face it, they are stuck with them until people no longer care and then, like Disney magic, they will be gone. So will we probably!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure there are already very large bills and have been for a couple of decades now, but they must have figured by now that it is more economical to periodically rebuild on the solid frame then to buy new. Let's face it, they are stuck with them until people no longer care and then, like Disney magic, they will be gone. So will we probably!
First half I agree…second half not so much. I don’t believe anyone will or won’t pay the ransom for the hotels NOW specifically for the monorail. Many talk a big game…but rarely back it up on the field.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom