Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Creathir

I'm with you. It think that if they had signed on the dotted line that they'd say, "Good news! New Monorail trains are coming.. Take a look at our exciting new fleet with the first train due to arrive in early 2022!"

Holding this back doesn't seem like a "win" for them. Putting it out there, after contracts are signed, does, however.

What we see, instead, is new paint and carpet on existing trains.
Holding back could depress room occupancy rates when there already are reports of SWGE not providing the uplift they were expecting.

I could easily see them holding back info until it was closer to delivery.

Touchdown

I know it’s unlikely but, you know what would light a fire under Disney? If Universal is the mystery buyer, the transportation still hasn’t been announced, and I could see a 6 station system (Hard Rock/Universal Studios station with a new back entrance to the park behind ET, Portifino, Royal/Saphire, Volcano Bay/Cabana Bay/Aventura, Epic Universe/New Hotel, Endless Summer with stops in that order) that would allow Universal to ditch the busses (except to bring day guests to Volcano Bay) and get that Comcast CEO another one up on the company that spurned him too. As an added bonus, imagine the cars have Hogwarts Express Screens and while you get a live feed when going around resort property you suddenly get a trip through a fantasy realm when you hit I-Drive.

Obobru

Holding back could depress room occupancy rates when there already are reports of SWGE not providing the uplift they were expecting.

I could easily see them holding back info until it was closer to delivery.
Never thought of that, I think I will cancel my Disney World trip and wait until the new monorails are in place because that is a huge factor in visiting.

Creathir

Never thought of that, I think I will cancel my Disney World trip and wait until the new monorails are in place because that is a huge factor in visiting.
More like, “I think I’ll avoid the top end resorts (highest profit margins) on Seven Seas Lagoon and opt for one of the others, or maybe the Four Seasons since it’s just around the corner anyway.”

Last edited:

MonorailCoral

So Bombardier had their earnings report released yesterday for Q3.

One thing of particular note is on page 43, where they point out key sales contracts, 2 North America sales for an undisclosed customer at an undisclosed location exist, one for $104M in rolling stock, the other for $247M in services.

Could be anything, but I would think a municipality would normally want their name attached to it for the good press.

Maybe they hashed things out with Disney for the replacement monorails?

The first thing that came to mind was Miami Metrorail...Nope, they are replacing with Hitachi.

The second thing that came to mind was for the future expansion of Virgin Trains USA (former Brightline / All Aboard Florida) toward Orlando and then Tampa...Unlikely, as their existing fleet (only ~2 years old) is Siemens.

lazyboy97o

I know it’s unlikely but, you know what would light a fire under Disney? If Universal is the mystery buyer, the transportation still hasn’t been announced, and I could see a 6 station system (Hard Rock/Universal Studios station with a new back entrance to the park behind ET, Portifino, Royal/Saphire, Volcano Bay/Cabana Bay/Aventura, Epic Universe/New Hotel, Endless Summer with stops in that order) that would allow Universal to ditch the busses (except to bring day guests to Volcano Bay) and get that Comcast CEO another one up on the company that spurned him too. As an added bonus, imagine the cars have Hogwarts Express Screens and while you get a live feed when going around resort property you suddenly get a trip through a fantasy realm when you hit I-Drive.
That’d be a heck of a secret seeing as it would involve four jurisdictions, literally every level of government from municipal to federal.

Touchdown

That’d be a heck of a secret seeing as it would involve four jurisdictions, literally every level of government from municipal to federal.

I can dream, but I’m still wondering how in the world Universal is going to effectively and expediently move their guests up and down I-Drive.

Using two nearby beams which could share one safety egress (pathway) in the median of I-Drive (which one section would have to be expanded to have a median) is one way to make it happen and save costs. The train would only need one way loops in the resorts.

lazyboy97o

I can dream, but I’m still wondering how in the world Universal is going to effectively and expediently move their guests up and down I-Drive.

Using two nearby beams which could share one safety egress (pathway) in the median of I-Drive (which one section would have to be expanded to have a median) is one way to make it happen and save costs. The train would only need one way loops in the resorts.
The south campus development involves an extension of Kirkman Rd with dedicated bus lanes.

Rich Brownn

They're not. They going to use buses on dedicated bus lanes down to Epic Universe. Its in the expansion plans for the roads

Disone

The current fleet won’t last that long.
Unfortunately, I think they can. Not sure where the 20 year life span actually comes from. It may be an accounting number just use to depreciated the cost of the trains over 20 years, which is pretty typical in corporate accounting worlds for high $$$$ items and such I don't know there was actually any real plan when they purchased them to replace them in 20 years or just spread out the cost of buying them over 20 years. Regardless, many public transportation passenger trains (Subways, metros, trolleys, etc....) today exceed 20 year life spans. Now Monorails do seem to age out younger but like any other train, they can mechanical and can have their lifes extended with refurbishments. I would not mine a true top to bottom refurbishment on the current fleet as I like the look of the trains. Silver was a good start but already its AC struggles, the smell is still in the cabin (maybe its suppose to smell that way????) and the seats are stretching so that the vinyl is coming loose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom