Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

ImperfectPixie

here me out, for some reason i think disney is just painting interior and exterior to make them look nice, till they get finalize something on new ones. Why wouldnt they want to properly refurb these if they were to keep them for 5+ years. but if its <5 years i could see spending some money on paint/interior
Nope. They're doing some mechanical fixes, too - such as door mechanics and such.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
Totally different animals. If vinyl applied to a hard surface peels when it's introduced to heat, that's either an adhesive failure or a failure to squeegee out all application fluid.

ETA: Plus, vinyl has factory-applied, pressure-sensitive adhesive for vehicle wraps/lettering. Upholstery is totally different.
car vynil you stretch, thats why it lifts. major pita, had to wrap a full car and i dont ever want to do that again. If i'm thinking how they did the seats are correct they wouldve laid the adhesive and then stretched on the backside till it set and then possible stapled the back side. thats how i wouldve done it to keep that tension and look smooth.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
Totally different animals. If vinyl applied to a hard surface peels when it's introduced to heat, that's either an adhesive failure or a failure to squeegee out all application fluid.

ETA: Plus, vinyl has factory-applied, pressure-sensitive adhesive for vehicle wraps/lettering. Upholstery is totally different.
are they doing any thing else besides doors tho? like any major refurb? i mean i feel like doors are pretty normal to maintain.

ImperfectPixie

car vynil you stretch, thats why it lifts. major pita, had to wrap a full car and i dont ever want to do that again. If i'm thinking how they did the seats are correct they wouldve laid the adhesive and then stretched on the backside till it set and then possible stapled the back side.
I used to wrap cars for a living. You aren't supposed to stretch it - you use heat to get it to conform to curves, etc. and only stretch small areas for super tight curves, say like tucking around behind the bumper and such, and even then you only do it if you absolutely have to.

The vinyl seats appear to not have enough adhesive.

are they doing any thing else besides doors tho? like any major refurb? i mean i feel like doors are pretty normal to maintain.
They replaced the door mechanics on Silver, I believe...it was discussed earlier in the thread. Not the doors themselves, but the mechanics that open and close them. Sorry, but I can't remember what else was mentioned.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
I used to wrap cars for a living. You aren't supposed to stretch it - you use heat to get it to conform to curves, etc. and only stretch small areas for super tight curves, say like tucking around behind the bumper and such, and even then you only do it if you absolutely have to.

The vinyl seats appear to not have enough adhesive.

They replaced the door mechanics on Silver, I believe...it was discussed earlier in the thread. Not the doors themselves, but the mechanics that open and close them. Sorry, but I can't remember what else was mentioned.
wait... how did you one piece bumpers without stretch? maybe im not saying it correctly.

either way the seats were shoddy at best

Creathir

So Bombardier had their earnings report released yesterday for Q3.

One thing of particular note is on page 43, where they point out key sales contracts, 2 North America sales for an undisclosed customer at an undisclosed location exist, one for $104M in rolling stock, the other for $247M in services.

Could be anything, but I would think a municipality would normally want their name attached to it for the good press.

Maybe they hashed things out with Disney for the replacement monorails?

Last edited:

IrishSailor

One thing of particular note is on page 43, where they point out key sales contracts, 2 North America sales for an undisclosed customer at an undisclosed location exist, one for $104M in rolling stock, the other for $247M in services.

Could be anything, but I would think a municipality would normally want their name attached to it for the good press.

Well now... the plot thickens!

atlien

Interesting report but there are several other undisclosed clients listed so it could be just a coincidence. Assuming WDW keeps the same number of monorails operating that number would make sense. If they are just reporting the contracts now though that would mean they are sometime off in the future (doubtful for 2021).

_caleb

Do Monorails have to be built on-site? Any chance Bombardier could build them somewhere else (like the rebuild/refurbishment of the trains) and then deliver them to WDW more or less ready for use?

_caleb

They would be delivered.
Great. Is there any chance, then, that they've been secretly working on new WDW Monorails? Or would the public know about that? Obviously there would be some record of a large contract like this, I'm just wondering if it would be possible that new monorail trains could be something of a surprise.

NormC

Great. Is there any chance, then, that they've been secretly working on new WDW Monorails? Or would the public know about that? Obviously there would be some record of a large contract like this, I'm just wondering if it would be possible that new monorail trains could be something of a surprise.
It is possible but unlikely. The assembly line was in Canada.

_caleb

Alright, then. So we'd likely have more solid info on new Monorails a few years ahead of their arrival. The timeline would be more or less something like: decision by Disney, budget by Parks, contract with Bombardier/order trains, payment, design, built, delivered. Right?

Per the Bombardier Innovia Wikipedia page:

"Today, there are multiple production facilities which have produced the trains including Kingston, Canada; Wuhu, China; Hortolândia, Brazil; and Derby, United Kingdom."

Any WDWMagic members in those places willing to keep an eye out for us, just in case?

NormC

There are multiple Innovia lines. Remember the trains are different than the monorails. I am sure once something leaks it will show up here.

ppete1975

I think Disney would be selling the fact that new monorails are coming, a) to reduce bad press b) another reason to visit in the future c) bragging is good in theme park wars "we are improving every day!!"
Letting them rot and have issues with no end game looks bad, if they were saying new ones are being built the bad press dies.

Brad Bishop

I think Disney would be selling the fact that new monorails are coming, a) to reduce bad press b) another reason to visit in the future c) bragging is good in theme park wars "we are improving every day!!"
Letting them rot and have issues with no end game looks bad, if they were saying new ones are being built the bad press dies.

I'm with you. It think that if they had signed on the dotted line that they'd say, "Good news! New Monorail trains are coming.. Take a look at our exciting new fleet with the first train due to arrive in early 2022!"

Holding this back doesn't seem like a "win" for them. Putting it out there, after contracts are signed, does, however.

What we see, instead, is new paint and carpet on existing trains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom