Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

s8film40

Disney needs to design some type of people mover / tram transportation at ground level (for where it can be done that way) like in large cities.
I think within the next 5-10 driverless vehicles will basically fulfill the same thing that would. Who knows maybe it will eventually render all the existing WDW transportation useless.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The ones in Vegas were installed post ADA and were built on new as well as existing beameay that was almost identical to WDW’s
that's what I was thinking as well

I always wondered why they couldn't do something like this - with the skyliner issues right now... Disney and their transportation is under a magnifying glass and will be for some time

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think within the next 5-10 driverless vehicles will basically fulfill the same thing that would. Who knows maybe it will eventually render all the existing WDW transportation useless.

Not sure how driverless vehicles would allow for replacement of other forms of transportation? A driverless bus for example would have all the same drawbacks and advantages as a bus with a driver. If you are talking about personal driverless transport, I don't think that would scale up to fit the transpiration needs at Disney, it would have just to small of a passenger density.

bcoachable

The ones in Vegas were installed post ADA and were built on new as well as existing beamway that was almost identical to WDW’s
I'm trying to picture the people in my crew (or me some day in the future :) ) that might need an ECV while visiting the parks. Not sure how fun it would be to be around them while they are trying to negotiate that beam while looking down....
Not that it can't be done at disney, but should it be done? IDK

s8film40

Not sure how driverless vehicles would allow for replacement of other forms of transportation? A driverless bus for example would have all the same drawbacks and advantages as a bus with a driver. If you are talking about personal driverless transport, I don't think that would scale up to fit the transpiration needs at Disney, it would have just to small of a passenger density.
I think the line between personal and public transportation could get very blurry. Many companies (Tesla as an example) are planning networks that cars can be placed in when not in use to be used by the public. I could see in the future if things go that way Disney implementing a fleet of their own vehicles to be used throughout WDW. In any case I suppose this is a little off topic and I don’t want to go too far down that hole.
I'm trying to picture the people in my crew (or me some day in the future :) ) that might need an ECV while visiting the parks. Not sure how fun it would be to be around them while they are trying to negotiate that beam while looking down....
Not that it can't be done at disney, but should it be done? IDK
It’s a better alternative. If an evacuation is taking place and someone has mobility issues the way they currently get them down the ladder is to strap them to a board and lower them. A standard wheelchair would probably fit on the walkways and make things a lot easier.

rsm

I would love to know the rationale behind puting MGM where they did and then ultimately AK (to say nothing of the "drop a resort wherever it fits" approach). To me it was THAT decision that damned WDW transit forever. Abandoning the TT&TC as the grand central station eliminated the ability to have a concise spine with branches of lower density transit.

Love Eisner or hate him - but at least remember to complain a little about his space planning vision.

bcoachable

I think the line between personal and public transportation could get very blurry. Many companies (Tesla as an example) are planning networks that cars can be placed in when not in use to be used by the public. I could see in the future if things go that way Disney implementing a fleet of their own vehicles to be used throughout WDW. In any case I suppose this is a little off topic and I don’t want to go too far down that hole.

It’s a better alternative. If an evacuation is taking place and someone has mobility issues the way they currently get them down the ladder is to strap them to a board and lower them. A standard wheelchair would probably fit on the walkways and make things a lot easier.
Oh geez- yea I guess your right!!

mergatroid

You know thinking of some of the recent evacuations and seeing how it seems somewhat apparent that Disney isn’t getting new trains or refurbishing the existing ones it seems like it would be a good idea and relatively not hugely expensive to install emergency walkways on the track. They’re pretty minimal and supported on the existing pylons. Even at the very least it would make a lot of sense to at the very least install them on and near the switches since disabled trains there can’t be towed.

They currently are, aren't they?

You know thinking of some of the recent evacuations and seeing how it seems somewhat apparent that Disney isn’t getting new trains or refurbishing the existing ones it seems like it would be a good idea and relatively not hugely expensive to install emergency walkways on the track. They’re pretty minimal and supported on the existing pylons. Even at the very least it would make a lot of sense to at the very least install them on and near the switches since disabled trains there can’t be towed.
A really cheap solution, they should buy one of those stair trucks that airports use for airplanes. Maybe with some modification if it needs to be higher. I think some of them go really high for some big airplanes.

Brad Bishop

If we're talking about the future of transportation and forgetting the sexiness of the monorails:

Buses w/ bus only lanes and overpasses make the most sense. It's not sexy. It makes a lot of sense, though.

UNCgolf

I would love to know the rationale behind puting MGM where they did and then ultimately AK (to say nothing of the "drop a resort wherever it fits" approach). To me it was THAT decision that damned WDW transit forever. Abandoning the TT&TC as the grand central station eliminated the ability to have a concise spine with branches of lower density transit.

Love Eisner or hate him - but at least remember to complain a little about his space planning vision.

I don't know that they had much of a choice with Animal Kingdom -- it had to be built at least a few miles away from any fireworks for animal welfare reasons.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
here me out, for some reason i think disney is just painting interior and exterior to make them look nice, till they get finalize something on new ones. Why wouldnt they want to properly refurb these if they were to keep them for 5+ years. but if its <5 years i could see spending some money on paint/interior

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
Sounds more like shoddy workmanship, then, which is disappointing.
I agree, its not hard to properly apply the glue needed to get it to set properly. its possible they didnt do it in a cool room which humidity would cause it to not set properly. Its almost like when you vynil a car, you do it inside a cool building and then you let it sit outside for a while to see if anything comes up or stretches and you bring it back in to fix.

ImperfectPixie

I agree, its not hard to properly apply the glue needed to get it to set properly. its possible they didnt do it in a cool room which humidity would cause it to not set properly. Its almost like when you vynil a car, you do it inside a cool building and then you let it sit outside for a while to see if anything comes up or stretches and you bring it back in to fix.
Totally different animals. If vinyl applied to a hard surface peels when it's introduced to heat, that's either an adhesive failure or a failure to squeegee out all application fluid.

ETA: Plus, vinyl has factory-applied, pressure-sensitive adhesive for vehicle wraps/lettering. Upholstery is totally different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom