Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was a power outage in the area and due to Reedy Creek not being able to guarantee it would be up and running in a sufficient amount of time they had to go with an evacuation.

Funny. We were told in the hurricane thread that Disney has their own generator and all the lines are underground, thus, there would never be an outage at WDW...

jt04

Would new monorail generate their own power? Having a back-up power supply on board might be justification for new monorails. Or even monorail trains that recharge while in a station. They could remove all the external power equipment from the beams. And paint them.

trainplane3

Would new monorail generate their own power? Having a back-up power supply on board might be justification for new monorails. Or even monorail trains that recharge while in a station. They could remove all the external power equipment from the beams. And paint them.
Instead of that idea, I say go for mine.

When it breaks down it'll have little pedals pop out from under the seats. You want to get off? Pedal. Monorail starting to get too hot? Pedal more for A/C. You want it to stop? Don't stop pedaling. You need to power the brakes somehow.

Monorail_Orange

Oh, absolutely. They will all be equipped with Mr. Fusion units, and since that can generate 1.21 gigawatts, they will also add a flux capacitor so once the monorail hits 88 mph...
images

Monorail_Orange

I want to clarify, I don't necessarily believe the conspiracy theory I made up about them wanting to switch to gondolas, just saying it's still a 1% chance of being the case
Taking intangibles out of the question, I think once you calculate the actual costs of demolishing the monorail system and investing in a gondola (or any other) replacement, it becomes significantly less attractive then simply continuing to maintain and upgrade the monorail system. Ergo, I think it's highly unlikely the monorail gets the boot in favor of a gondola.

Brad Bishop

Taking intangibles out of the question, I think once you calculate the actual costs of demolishing the monorail system and investing in a gondola (or any other) replacement, it becomes significantly less attractive then simply continuing to maintain and upgrade the monorail system. Ergo, I think it's highly unlikely the monorail gets the boot in favor of a gondola.

I think that the first signs of "we give up" on the Monorail will be when the Epcot beam gives out. It was made cheaper than the lagoon beams and will likely deteriorate first. I don't believe for a moment that WDW will replace it. I don't even think they'll tear it down. I think they'll just leave it in place like they do any other abandoned attraction. At that point, though, the time is ticking on the rest of the system though you have extra trains in place to service the lagoon so there's that.

s8film40

Funny. We were told in the hurricane thread that Disney has their own generator and all the lines are underground, thus, there would never be an outage at WDW...
This is true, but keep in mind those metal rails you see along the monorail beam up in the sky are very much susceptible to getting hit by lightning and carrying that charge back to the rectifier building and burning stuff out. Don’t know if that was the case here or not, could also just be poor upkeep of the power infrastructure.

Movielover

I think that the first signs of "we give up" on the Monorail will be when the Epcot beam gives out. It was made cheaper than the lagoon beams and will likely deteriorate first. I don't believe for a moment that WDW will replace it. I don't even think they'll tear it down. I think they'll just leave it in place like they do any other abandoned attraction.

But on the plus side they will then have so many more places to hang banners and balloons!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

;)

janoimagine

Don't know if this has been brought up here yet or not but I took my son down for a quick few days to see the end of Illuminations and Galaxys Edge and discovered that Monorail Silver had been given quite an upgrade on the interior and exterior. Interior looked beautiful when compared to the other trains, exterior looked to have new paint, and trim ... still not sure why they continue to dump millions into keeping these trains running but it was nice to see one of them get some real love for a change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom