Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

jrogue

Learned a few things about yesterday's minor monorail incident.

Monorail Red broke down due to a propulsion issue between GF and MK. It had power for the majority of the time it was down so AC could run. Power was shut off once the tractor was in the area to pull it into the station. So the total downtime for Red was 37 minutes. No injuries or heat related guest issues were reported. Guests were told they could remove windows if needed.

Monorail Silver did not break down but was held for 22 minutes near the Contemporary because of Monorail Red. The fire truck you see in the Twitter photo was at the contemporary for a separate issue. It was a tanker truck so it couldn't have done much for monorail evacuation anyways. Silver never reportedly lost power.
Is it normal that red broke down and kept the AC on, but silver was just held and seems to have had the AC shut off?

Creathir

Monorail Red broke down due to a propulsion issue between GF and MK. It had power for the majority of the time it was down so AC could run. Power was shut off once the tractor was in the area to pull it into the station. So the total downtime for Red was 37 minutes. No injuries or heat related guest issues were reported. Guests were told they could remove windows if needed.

Monorail Silver did not break down but was held for 22 minutes near the Contemporary because of Monorail Red. The fire truck you see in the Twitter photo was at the contemporary for a separate issue. It was a tanker truck so it couldn't have done much for monorail evacuation anyways. Silver never reportedly lost power.
Out of curiosity, why hold up the other train on another segment of track with a station in between? Is that due to the safety protocols instituted after the major incident?

s8film40

Silver couldn't move until Red was towed into the station. The report I had said Silver never lost power so should've had AC. It could be that the section the twitter user was in maybe wasn't working? But the train should've had it on.
Just looking at the position of Silver it would of at least lost power when they moved the switch, and if I’m not mistaken they usually take out the entire zone the tractor is using which I would think would include Silver.

I also did hear a report that the fire trucks were dispatched for the monorail. Not sure if it’s the one seen or not.

Rteetz

Just looking at the position of Silver it would of at least lost power when they moved the switch, and if I’m not mistaken they usually take out the entire zone the tractor is using which I would think would include Silver.

I also did hear a report that the fire trucks were dispatched for the monorail. Not sure if it’s the one seen or not.
According to what I was told Silver never lost power. Either way it wasn't stuck for very long.

The one seen is definitely not for the monorail.

s8film40

The one seen is definitely not for the monorail.
That was actually how I first heard of this incident. I heard about the fire trucks being dispatched to monorails and then I waited to see what popped up on Twitter. Although apparent it was Orange County Fire that was dispatched, which is odd.

Scubacat

I finally had my air conditioner serviced on my ancient 2005 Corolla with 221K miles. I'm older and fatter and can't accept not having a/c even in my spare car anymore. Every time I turn it on it smells exactly like the monorail for the first few minutes. Somebody else may have pointed this fact out but that monorail smell has to have something to do with the a/c and the stuff growing and blooming in there.

Replace your cabin air filter once in a while. :)

If the monorails smell from AC, it's lack of maintenance, not age.

HoldenC

Thanks for giving us real information and showing that nitwit on Twitter was doing this all for attention. And see folks, there were no heat injuries. Imagine that 🤔

TrainsOfDisney

Here’s some photos I took of the Las Vegas Monorail system. This runs on the same size track as the WDW system. They are fully automated, and have emergency walkways for the entire system.

Attachments

• 2CC4136C-01C6-4A16-BA19-29C3BE97F2D3.jpeg
    2CC4136C-01C6-4A16-BA19-29C3BE97F2D3.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 297
  • 5AF87C62-A616-4E3C-851A-791145852BDC.jpeg
    5AF87C62-A616-4E3C-851A-791145852BDC.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 34D2CA5A-F7FF-4514-BB5F-6E268A2FE189.jpeg
    34D2CA5A-F7FF-4514-BB5F-6E268A2FE189.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 313

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Here’s some photos I took of the Las Vegas Monorail system. This runs on the same size track as the WDW system. They are fully automated, and have emergency walkways for the entire system.

this would look SO much better at WDW - just theme the monorails a little (different paint, etc) and add those emergency walkways.

pdude81

When temps might reach 115 degrees on a summer day you have to evacuate yourself.

Unplugged

The Vegas system is pretty nice with the numerous times I've used in when in town it was reliable. The automation seemed to be well tuned. The only ("only") catch, is the cost. Now many people site the full cost per mile which is stupid as that includes some very large and expensive stations that had to go in as there was nothing behind the resorts to support it. In the case of WDW, I can't believe that new trains, evacuation walkways, and even re-routing a bit would cost anywhere near what that system cost as a total. Obviously new trains should be about the same. That said, I'm stepping off the "monorail is still a viable transportation solution" soap box.

Brad Bishop

All the comments about being in an oven or not only exist because Disney thought that they could drag out the Monorail replacement. They'll likely be 40 years old / 2x their lifetimes before anything tangible actually happens. Does it matter? No. People still like up at the gate, pay the premium price, and defend the price, and the Monorail so, realistically, Disney chose correctly.

Drag out maintenance as long as possible and people will pay and defend it. That's some pretty strong, and valuable, nostalgia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom