Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
So I went to the MK twice today on the monorail and noticed that they are now playing background music over the speakers inside the cabs. I was on Peach both times. It’s very low volume but it was themed just like the resort buses.

Also just passed by the monorail shop Lime looks like it is almost done with NO blue deltas.

I’d had been a while before my most recent monorail ride (buses direct to parks). I was shocked at how bad the audio cue delays played. I knew it was a “thing” on here but wow! Hoping that can be addressed soon.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I’d had been a while before my most recent monorail ride (buses direct to parks). I was shocked at how bad the audio cue delays played. I knew it was a “thing” on here but wow! Hoping that can be addressed soon.

So it was strange in that spiels and PA were at normal level, however the background music was very low. I had a relatively empty car and initially thought it was coming from outside the monorail, but I put my ear to the speaker and hear it play.

esskay

Pretty sure the speakers on most of the cabs are shot, combined with the awful cues just makes it all a tad sad to listen to.

Y'all are such creative discussers, LOL! I will say though, the trains have been getting their much needed TLC, last I recall and heard... No telling which is next though.

Sadly its almost all cosmetic. The hardware is just in an awful state, and given parts are sparse it just means things will get worse. Even if they do manage to do some hardware upgrades, we've still got the god awful bumpy start-stop automation disaster running the show.

Rodan75

The audio cues with the monorails got messed up with the new automation system, I believe. As for the jerkiness, it's being worked on, last I heard.

When we were there over the summer, the jerkiness in the automation was dramatically less than the year before, I would even say it was smoother than the last few years of actual piloted trains. But they had rampant door issues.

Figment2005

When we were there over the summer, the jerkiness in the automation was dramatically less than the year before, I would even say it was smoother than the last few years of actual piloted trains. But they had rampant door issues.
A good rule of thumb is if the stop in the station is smooth, then the pilot is in control. I would say it's about a 60/40 split with automatic/manual control now. It's up to the drivers for the most part on what they want to participate in.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, took the TTC monorail to MK and there was a man in an ECV in our car. When we arrived we slipped out quickly because he had to wait for the ramp. Only... he didn't. Since you exit the same way you get in, he had to back out. And he forgot to wait for the ramp.

As we rounded the railing and was heading down the exit ramp, we heard a big crash. Looked back and he was on his back and had hit his head and the ECV was also on its back.

And that's what happens when your exit isn't flush with the vehicle and you don't tie down their ECV like on a bus and you make people back out of the way they came in and can't see that there's a drop and they forget they have to wait for a ramp.

Don't know his status, there was a crowd around him and a CM on a walkie talkie, so, we just cleared out.

Really hope the new monorails are flush.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
So, took the TTC monorail to MK and there was a man in an ECV in our car. When we arrived we slipped out quickly because he had to wait for the ramp. Only... he didn't. Since you exit the same way you get in, he had to back out. And he forgot to wait for the ramp.

As we rounded the railing and was heading down the exit ramp, we heard a big crash. Looked back and he was on his back and had hit his head and the ECV was also on its back.

And that's what happens when your exit isn't flush with the vehicle and you don't tie down their ECV like on a bus and you make people back out of the way they came in and can't see that there's a drop and they forget they have to wait for a ramp.

Don't know his status, there was a crowd around him and a CM on a walkie talkie, so, we just cleared out.

Hopefully wasn’t hurt too bad.

nace888

Had something similar happen when I was there last year, I had to hold a train there to take care of the issue. Sad thing was, he had the ramp. I have doubts that the trains will be flushed, if they are, they will have to raise the platform or lower the beam which will take some work. Either that, or maybe they could look into creating a slightly curved floor to make up the two inches on either side. It would be nice to see something like that.

lazyboy97o

Had something similar happen when I was there last year, I had to hold a train there to take care of the issue. Sad thing was, he had the ramp. I have doubts that the trains will be flushed, if they are, they will have to raise the platform or lower the beam which will take some work. Either that, or maybe they could look into creating a slightly curved floor to make up the two inches on either side. It would be nice to see something like that.
There are local, state and federal limits on the cross slope of walkways. The entire platform would have to be raised or some sort of automated ramp installed.

lazyboy97o

An automated ramp isn't a bad idea... Installed on the train, perhaps? Door opens and the ramp lowers?
On the trains would be problematic as you would be further raising the floor of the train to fit the mechanism, increasing the length of your run. I was thinking more the edge of the platform raising right at the doors. Even then, that is probably more complicated, difficult and expensive than raising the platforms again. Yes, it would mean rebuilding all of the stairs and ramps, but there wouldn’t be any ongoing maintenance costs.

rle4lunch

An automated ramp isn't a bad idea... Installed on the train, perhaps? Door opens and the ramp lowers?

just something else that will break and need more periodic maintenance. keep the manual ramps in place or make the train flush with the platform and install a metal lip that will cover the distance between the two surfaces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom