Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Goofyernmost

They actually stop running the monorail at Disneyland when it gets really hot.
Must be recent because I rode it during the 50th and it was over 100 degrees that day. I guess today's folks are much more susceptible to the vapors.
the kind where one becomes weak and prone to fainting.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Must be recent because I rode it during the 50th and it was over 100 degrees that day. I guess today's folks are much more susceptible to the vapers.
No idea when it started. But it's been standard procedure when it's really hot for some time.

s8film40

Guests aside. If it’s true that the cockpits had A/C and that’s what broke, I can definitely see why they would want to reduce operating hours to avoid a pilot passing out at the controls.
Must be recent because I rode it during the 50th and it was over 100 degrees that day. I guess today's folks are much more susceptible to the vapers.
It's not even humid in CA, open the window a little and it would be fine. I've driven a monorail in FL with no AC, I'm not saying it's fun but I didn't pass out.:)

Goofyernmost

It's not even humid in CA, open the window a little and it would be fine. I've driven a monorail in FL with no AC, I'm not saying it's fun but I didn't pass out.:)
I don't recall the humidity factor but 100+ degrees is still hot. 100+ degrees and humid is still 100+ degrees but, it seems hotter because you aren't able to evaporate sweat. However, it was still quite hot and uncomfortable especially if you grabbed one of the metal queue stanchions.

s8film40

I don't recall the humidity factor but 100+ degrees is still hot. 100+ degrees and humid is still 100+ degrees but, it seems hotter because you aren't able to evaporate sweat. However, it was still quite hot and uncomfortable especially if you grabbed one of the metal queue stanchions.
I was visiting Vegas once and midday at noon I remember telling my wife that it was obviously hot but it was still not too bad and definitely more comfortable than about 75-80 in FL. We got back to the hotel that night and the weather reported that the high during the day at noon was 112.

I've always found it a little humorous how Disneyland reacts to the heat. They have something I believe called "code 90" where all kinds of different things are allowed like rolling up sleeves and stuff. One of the big reasons I've enjoyed visiting DL in the summer is the weather. It's a nice kind of hot, you can enjoy the warmth while walking around without sweating like crazy.

180º

Good point, if only there were openable windows in the cockpit. Unfortunately, there aren’t. I hope your conditions in Florida were safe. I’d still say it’s reasonable to suspend operation in 100° heat with no A/C.

s8film40

Good point, if only there were openable windows in the cockpit. Unfortunately, there aren’t. I hope your conditions in Florida were safe. I’d still say it’s reasonable to suspend operation in 100° heat with no A/C.
I thought the windows opened, if not then yeah that would be pretty bad. Yeah usually in WDW if the AC goes out they take the train off or switch it to a different line to at least switch cabs. That being said they're usually driven for a little while until then. It's perfectly safe, just not real fun. Probably the unsafest thing I ever did was drive a monorail that had just been painted for 6 hours straight. No one else wanted to drive it because the paint fumes were so strong. I didn’t notice them after a couple laps, but towards the end I was pretty dizzy, haha.

TrojanUSC

But according to MiceChat, there's no A/C, now, period. They won't or can't fix it - it's broken. So they are limiting the hours of operation.

MiceChat is a mess. Go back and read their archived articles from when the trains first arrived on property - Disney was extremely upset they arrived without air conditioning in the passenger cabins. This necessitated a window redesign to ensure proper ventilation.

TrojanUSC

Must be recent because I rode it during the 50th and it was over 100 degrees that day. I guess today's folks are much more susceptible to the vapors.

If you rode it during the 50th, it was the old trains which had A/C

eddie104

Doesn’t really matter if it’s dry or humid hot neither is ideal situation to be in without some air conditioning. Of course that is debatable but it’s my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
MiceChat is a mess. Go back and read their archived articles from when the trains first arrived on property - Disney was extremely upset they arrived without air conditioning in the passenger cabins. This necessitated a window redesign to ensure proper ventilation.
Disney knew the AC was omitted. It was their decision. It was no surprise.

Goofyernmost

If you rode it during the 50th, it was the old trains which had A/C
If they did, the day I was on it they weren't turned on. It wasn't unpleasant, it seems like there were windows that opened, but, that was 13 years ago so perhaps I am thinking of something else, but, that is what I remember. Frankly I have been to DL once and done, and I don't follow anything that is going on in that park other then SWL, and that is mostly because I don't have any choice as there seems to be an unofficial contest to see if WDW catches up to DL.

msg7

Now, I know it's a touchy subject but, the latest MickeyViews video has me thinking... Does anyone know/think that there is any chance of new monorails being announced at next years' D23?

Last edited:

Rteetz

Now, I know it's a touchy subject but, the latest MickeyViews video has me thinking... Does anyone know/think that there is any chance of new monorails being announced at next years' D23?
As @marni1971 has said several times in the past D23 announcements can change up until days before the event. It’s far too early to know for sure what will be announced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom