Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Goofyernmost

So - then we're taking Plato's position and saying the monorail is a Ship of Theseus? IOW, if all the parts are replaced, it IS a new monorail.

Just sayin' . . .
Yup, that is exactly what I am saying except in a much less faux intellectual way. I'm saying the a Monorail train is a machine. It still looks futuristic and it still runs the designated circles with surprising dependability considering that it is just a machine. I have never seen it dirty that wasn't directly linked to classless guests. I've never been stuck on it and if they weren't kept in extremely good and upgraded mechanical condition the rails would be littered with dead monorail trains. So my question would have to be what, exactly, would spending millions of dollars for new ones give you when you are going to get the same 10 minute ride that is currently available?

Goofyernmost

I'm sure if they could, Disney would immediately rid themselves of the monorail altogether and convert it to a Skyliner system. Skyliner is cheaper to operate and more adaptable to whatever transportation supply they need at any given time. I'm still of the mindset that the Skyliner is the opening salvo in the phase-out of the monorail, although the monorail's iconic status will delay the inevitability of that conversion. It may be a half-and-half replacement, with the monorail only servicing the Seven Seas Lagoon and the EPCOT monorail eventually being eighty-sixed and replaced by the powers that be.
I think that ending the monorail altogether would be like changing the name of the resort to Bob Chapek World. It's a necessary part of the overall image. The gondola's are just another form of transportation to other sections of the resort. It's not the cost of the trains alone that prevented them for expanding the system, but the cost of the rails themselves.

Disstevefan1

I really don't think the monorails will end. Its GREEN electric mass transit. There are a lot of folks who love the monorail who would not set foot in a Skyliner. The Skyliner already had more accidents in its short life than the monorail had in 50 years in WDW.

It's so obvious WDW will ("resume" for all the WDW historians) charging for transportation in WDW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yes, technically at the very beginning WDW did charge for transportation, for the large majority who are currently visiting, WDW transportation has always been FREE.

I will not let WDW slide on a technicality,

WHEN WDW begins to charge for transportation, they will be charging for something that was previously FREE
I'm not letting them slide either, it's just a fact that they charged a resort transportation fee for at least 20 years after opening.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm sure if they could, Disney would immediately rid themselves of the monorail altogether and convert it to a Skyliner system. Skyliner is cheaper to operate and more adaptable to whatever transportation supply they need at any given time. I'm still of the mindset that the Skyliner is the opening salvo in the phase-out of the monorail, although the monorail's iconic status will delay the inevitability of that conversion. It may be a half-and-half replacement, with the monorail only servicing the Seven Seas Lagoon and the EPCOT monorail eventually being eighty-sixed and replaced by the powers that be.
Aerial ropeways aren't real good at negotiating curves... if they were to replace the monorail with a ropeway, they'd need a central station (at the MK) and outstations at each Lagoon resort, with towers and wires crossing the lagoon.

It would kill the ambience, but then again, TDO hasn't been all that concerned about ambience lately.

Ambien, maybe, but not ambience.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I really believe it's just a matter of time before transportation has a fee. They could use fuel prices as the impetus. "Due due unusually high fuel prices, we will be charging a nominal fee to ride Disney Transportation around the Most Magical Place on Earth!"... and when fuel prices drop, they'll just leave the fee. Or they could just implement it.
You're already paying for it in the cost of your room and your DVC dues. They've also probably hedged their fuel costs given they buy at such large quantities.

Rooms aren't getting cheaper.

Disstevefan1

You're already paying for it in the cost of your room and your DVC dues. They've also probably hedged their fuel costs given they buy at such large quantities.

Rooms aren't getting cheaper.
I am guessing "You're already paying for it in the cost of your room and your DVC dues" is not what TWDC is thinking; see resort parking, see Genie + and ILL.

Disney wants to, as much as possible, create separate charges, so each can be raised independently over time.

I have a strong feeling free WDW transportation is going away...

mattpeto

You have all left MK after the fireworks right, rushing for the transportation entries?

How many bottlenecks would exist if additional authentication exists for transportation? Think that will work at skyliners, buses, ferries, walking paths too right?

Just think it through a little bit guys.

Disney complimentary transportation remains the #1 perk, it's not going away. I won't say "Never", but I'm about as certain of that as Disney selling one of their theme parks.

I know DME was a "dagger" for many and it might take you down that line of thinking. But ME was subcontracted to several services (Mears, Bags Inc.) and when there was operational issues, Disney had to deal with the guest blowback.

How many of you got free FP+ because ME goofed? They just wanted out of that arena.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I'm not letting them slide either, it's just a fact that they charged a resort transportation fee for at least 20 years after opening.
I went there less then 11 years after it opened and to my knowledge they didn't charge for transportation directly at that time. I do seem to recall that there was a bit of a charge previous to Epcot opening, but they really didn't have all that far to go. MK and a couple of resort areas. I personally didn't witness that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yup, that is exactly what I am saying except in a much less faux intellectual way.
"The Ship of Theseus" isn't "faux intellectualism" any more than using "faux" instead of "fake" is elitist talk.

The Ship of Theseus is standard and not fake philosophical inquiry into quididity.

Goofyernmost

"The Ship of Theseus" isn't "faux intellectualism" any more than using "faux" instead of "fake" is elitist talk.

The Ship of Theseus is standard and not fake philosophical inquiry into quididity.
And completely out of place on a multi-cultural discussion board. Truth be known when it is used in this way it is an effort to show how better culturally raised one is then other cultures. The word Faux is a more widely known word meaning fake are well known. Not unlike that last sentence. ;)

Brad Bishop

I am guessing "You're already paying for it in the cost of your room and your DVC dues" is not what TWDC is thinking; see resort parking, see Genie + and ILL.

Disney wants to, as much as possible, create separate charges, so each can be raised independently over time.

I have a strong feeling free WDW transportation is going away...

Exactly. If you're paying for your room all Bob sees is: Why is parking free?

Someone could tell him, "Well, we raised the rate of the room. It's included in the room."

Bob would come back with, "That's great. We're getting more for rooms. Why is parking free? Add a parking fee. NOW we're getting paid for parking."

Brad Bishop

You have all left MK after the fireworks right, rushing for the transportation entries?

How many bottlenecks would exist if additional authentication exists for transportation? Think that will work at skyliners, buses, ferries, walking paths too right?

Just think it through a little bit guys.

Disney complimentary transportation remains the #1 perk, it's not going away. I won't say "Never", but I'm about as certain of that as Disney selling one of their theme parks.

I know DME was a "dagger" for many and it might take you down that line of thinking. But ME was subcontracted to several services (Mears, Bags Inc.) and when there was operational issues, Disney had to deal with the guest blowback.

How many of you got free FP+ because ME goofed? They just wanted out of that arena.
This was brought up before and I think it's a bit obvious:

You have them hit their MagicBand (also no longer free) as they enter the queuing area. You're not paying when you actually step on the Monorail - you paid all the way down at the beginning of the ramp. The same with the ferries... You're not paying when you get on the ferry, you're paying when you initially enter the holding area.

For busses, I don't see what the big deal is with having everyone hit their MagicBand as they enter the bus. It's done like this all around the world with bus passes and people seem to be able to use busses. You could also do it as they entered the "bus area" as you don't care which bus they get on.

Keep in mind, I don't think this is a great idea. I just think it's a bit naive to look at everything else that was free at WDW and think, "Oh, no.. Transportation is sacred. There's NO WAY they'd charge for that." Bob want to charge for everything. It seems to be pretty clear that, in his business mind, NOTHING is free. EVERYTHING has a price (or they just won't sell it).

He's about explicit profits, not implicit ones.

That being said, he's not insane. While we may make a joke about, "That $5 only covers the drink. The cup is $3, the lid $2, and the straw is $1," he's not going to do it. He's not going to charge per napkin or anything like that. He will pull cloth napkins in favor of paper if that saves ¢¢¢. I think we saw that with the other Bob, a few years back.

I think we also quickly crossed the threshold of "paying for rides" with Lightning Lane. I know.. "Your ticket into the park covers all rides..." ...sure.. If you want to be a chump and wait in "stand by".. I remember seeing a photo not too long ago with what I had predicted: The Lightning Lane, which is the normal line (that's how they see it) at Disney was full and the Stand By lane, which is exactly how it sounds: You'll get on when there are no other paying customers (Just like airlines - it's literally in the name for the line) had only a few people in it but something like a 2-3 hour wait.

The $125 (or whatever it is now) ticket is literally just to get you into the park. If you want to ride the rides then you'll pay $5-20/ride. "...and, yes, for the family watching their budget, they we do offer Stand By lines where the wait isn't typically longer then 2-3 hours."

Tom P.

And completely out of place on a multi-cultural discussion board. Truth be known when it is used in this way it is an effort to show how better culturally raised one is then other cultures. The word Faux is a more widely known word meaning fake are well known. Not unlike that last sentence. ;)
:rolleyes:

ohioguy

I think that ending the monorail altogether would be like changing the name of the resort to Bob Chapek World. It's a necessary part of the overall image. The gondola's are just another form of transportation to other sections of the resort. It's not the cost of the trains alone that prevented them for expanding the system, but the cost of the rails themselves.
It's the upkeep on those rails that tells me their days are numbered. Why the cost is so high for maintenance is beyond me, considering the legacy technology in use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom