News New lobby layouts coming to Disney's Old Key West and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort

Magic Feather

Honestly, I like both.

A lot of people have been hating non the OKW lobby re-do, but isn't the whole point of that resort to feel something like a series of houses that are a part of a B&B type set up? I've always been under the impression that OKW's lobby areas were meant to feel something like a home, from the Hospitality House name to the entirety of Olivia's. To me, this new lobby feels exactly like a newer B&B type lobby/living room.

castlecake2.0

Honestly, I like both.

A lot of people have been hating non the OKW lobby re-do, but isn't the whole point of that resort to feel something like a series of houses that are a part of a B&B type set up? I've always been under the impression that OKW's lobby areas were meant to feel something like a home, from the Hospitality House name to the entirety of Olivia's. To me, this new lobby feels exactly like a newer B&B type lobby/living room.
I see what you’re saying, it just feels like the story and charm is gone. I think they need to go with a 70/30 modern/classic instead for of the 95/5 they when with

UNCgolf

I see what you’re saying, it just feels like the story and charm is gone. I think they need to go with a 70/30 modern/classic instead for of the 95/5 they when with

That's what they've done with basically every renovation and new build in the last few years unless it was connected to a specific IP. A few were 100% modern and 0% theme/classic. The Polynesian entry is the one exception I can think of off the top of my head (in terms of staying themed), but it looks unfinished and cheap so it still wasn't done well.

castlecake2.0

That's what they've done with basically every renovation and new build in the last few years unless it was connected to a specific IP. A few were 100% modern and 0% theme/classic. The Polynesian entry is the one exception I can think of off the top of my head (in terms of staying themed), but it looks unfinished and cheap so it still wasn't done well.
I feel like they’re trying to find a new balance for the millennial age and they just went too far in some cases. Saratoga seemed to have figured it out with their lobby so there’s hope. I think all they need to do with the yacht club and OKW is replace some of the generic art and props with period pieces and it would root it to a time and place and fix the generic feeling.

castlecake2.0

Nice? Updated? Clean? Bright? Fresh? Not dank and stale and dated?
Gotcha, I just didn’t know if there was a particular word for modern that was more appropriate to use. I do like OKW update for the most part for all those words you listed, I just feel like it needs some anchor pieces.

eddie104

I feel like they’re trying to find a new balance for the millennial age and they just went too far in some cases. Saratoga seemed to have figured it out with their lobby so there’s hope. I think all they need to do with the yacht club and OKW is replace some of the generic art and props with period pieces and it would root it to a time and place and fix the generic feeling.
Yep this is what I feel like for the most as some places they gutted them way too much but others are just fine. Like the Caribbean Beach as well as the Port Orleans food courts were overdone in my opinion.

castlecake2.0

Here’s what I mean. This whole wall on the left looks like they went on a splurge at HomeGoods. None of this contributes to the story of the resort. This is where I feel theyve lost their way with storytelling.
B416AF49-DA23-473D-8BD0-0C559FA007A0.jpeg

eddie104

Here’s what I mean. This whole wall on the left looks like they went on a splurge at HomeGoods. None of this contributes to the story of the resort. This is where I feel theyve lost their way with storytelling.View attachment 593345
Have any of you guys seen remodeled homes in Key West ?

Because if you have they look just like this with stained wood and all. In my opinion the theme is very arbitrary and unless it was based on a particular location they can be more creative with this lobby.

castlecake2.0

Yep this is what I feel like for the most as some places they gutted them way too much but others are just fine. Like the Caribbean Beach as well as the Port Orleans food courts were overdone in my opinion.
I like the Caribbean beach lobby, it feels new and fresh but still has some pieces that make it feel anchored to a story, OKW could literally be any beach hotel anywhere, Saratoga kinda got it, just needs to remove the clutter they bought from Marshalls.

eddie104

I like the Caribbean beach lobby, it feels new and fresh but still has some pieces that make it feel anchored to a story, OKW could literally be any beach hotel anywhere, Saratoga kinda got it, just needs to remove the clutter they bought from Marshalls.
I like the lobby as well but was referring to the cafeteria area of that resort.

castlecake2.0

Have any of you guys seen remodeled homes in Key West ?

Because if you have they look just like this with stained wood and all. In my opinion the theme is very arbitrary and unless it was based on a particular location they can be more creative with this lobby.
But this resort is not supposed to be a newly renovated home, it’s supposed to be turn of the century Key West. I’d like what they did IF they kept a few period pieces to help tell a story, like I said it looks like they bought the entire lobby from marshalls, it looks nice, but it’s not the Disney difference, to me at least.

castlecake2.0

RE: OKW - to me the check-in desks seem the most off/out of place.
Agreed. If they had kept the original and just broken it down to smaller groups that would have kept some of the “charm” I feel is missing. Could have stained them white, kept the antique lamps, would still feel fresh with character.

Bocabear

I have seen remodeled homes in Key West...We own one, and while this remodel is not the worst offender, it is too modern and lacks the warmth and charm of Key West... When you theme a resort to an actual place, and then decorate like it is an anywhere USA location with an added fish over the fireplace, it can hardly evoke the spirit if the place you are recreating. Is it nice and clean and pleasant? yes. Does it evoke the spirit and feeling of Key West? no.
The Saratoga Springs remodel was even less impressive to me... This resort has always felt like a suggestion rather than any sort of theme...I am just glad the peach and mint color scheme is mostly gone. This lobby building needs a complete and utter redo...It should feel like a historic building with lots of detail and style...not a repurposed Disney Institute rehash... A few paintings of horses is not a theme perse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom