New idea for splash mountain

martinthesparta

Original Poster
I just had a wonderful thought, and before anyone jumps down my throat just listen. I heard rumors in the past that they wanted to change splash mountain because song of the south apparently isn't politically correct, and were gonna replace the theme with pocahontas. I'm suprised they never thought of using winnie the pooh instead. And I know that wouldn't work now, but what about in dl because their splash is old and need's a tune up, and they can just move the pooh stuff over like they did with america sings. Just a thought. And why make the same splash at different parks, why not use different themes. All I'm sayin.

Katherine

I would be really upset if they changed Splash Mnt. I love this ride so much and it would be a bad idea for them to change it to Pooh because little kids will want to ride it for Pooh and they might freak when they get to the drop. Just a thought.

Spectroman2003

I actually think they will one day bring Song of the South to Video/DVD. Someone told me there is like a scene or preview from the movie in the Alice in Wonderland DVD somewhere. I know the controversy has to do with the NAACP, but can anyone say what it's all about?

PS. Leave Splash MTN. Alone!

iluvstitch

I wouldn't like Splash Mt. to be changed to Pooh or Pocahontas. There's already a Pooh ride at WDW so I doubt that would happen.

And I don't think Pocahontas is 100% pc, I mean in the movie, the white people are trying to kill the "savages" and take their land. I mean what would the ride be, the Indians fighting the white people- that sounds worse in my opinion than singing frogs, bunnies and other animals. -Stephanie

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They will never change Splash. Not when they can`t afford a new film for Soarin` or to patch up a hole on POTC...

hoppypooh

Originally posted by Spectroman2003
I know the controversy has to do with the NAACP, but can anyone say what it's all about?

Song of the South originally came out just after WWII and was based on the "Unce Remus" stories by Joel Chandler Harris.
Harris grew up in Georgia during the Civil War and the stories were told to him by former slaves. I know the NAACP originally praised the artistry of the movie but at the same time denounced Disney's portrayal of slavery as idyllic (i.e. making slavery appear pleasant.) Disney was going to re-release the movie in the 60's - but with the eruption of civil rights unrest - they decided against it.

It's hard to separate fact from urban legend in this case (why it's not on video in the U.S.) but many believe that Disney won't release it because it's too politically incorrect/inaccurate.
But I don't know if that's really true or not.

Spectroman2003

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I'm suprised they never thought of using winnie the pooh instead.

I swear to God if Pooh takes over another ride I'll boycott disney, even though I don't think it'll ever happen.

bsandersjr

Pooh?!?!?!?!?

Get real! I feel that there is way too much Pooh there already. If someone does not like the music, or attraction, don't ride it. It is that simple.

Sir Hiss527

No, no never going to happen. Pooh already took over a classic movie/ride..Why take over another one, where we can't even see the movie?I swear one day kids aren't even gonna know who Mickey is..There's way too much Pooh for Disney. Especially when they took over my beloved Toady.

"It was all started by a Pooh":lol:

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I heard rumors in the past that they wanted to change splash mountain because song of the south apparently isn't politically correct, and were gonna replace the theme with pocahontas.

Where did you ever hear a stupid rumor like this??? There is nothing racist about Splash Mtn. The ride is one of the longest on property because they tell as much of the story as they can, knowing that most children have never seen Song of the South. Splash has quickly become a classic and I don't see them ever changing the theming inside. Besides.....the outside is themed to look like Chickapin Hill from the movie.......which would mean the outside as well as inside would have to be redone to change the theming of the ride.

Wilt Dasney

Re: Re: New idea for splash mountain

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
Where did you ever hear a stupid rumor like this???

This isn't the first time I've come across this rumor...whether or not there's anything to it, it is floating around out there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Re: Re: New idea for splash mountain

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
The ride is one of the longest on property because they tell as much of the story as they can,

The ride is one of the longest on property because it was built before Michael Eisner got his pay rise.

KevinPage

They won't change the ride cause 99% of the guests have no idea that the ride is based on a movie.

I have Song of the South on video. A friend bought a PAL version, dubbed it for NTSC and sent me a copy. Not the greatest transfer, but at least I was able to see the movie.

Honestly, aside from the animated parts, it was a boring movie, with Uncle Remus telling some stories to a little white rich kid, who evertually got hit by a bull or some other animal or something. (only watched it once while falling asleep)

I don't see how it made Slavery look "pleasant" except for the fact that Uncle Remus was a kind, nice old gentleman. I guess they should have made him angry and told stories of Brer Fox cooking Brer Rabbit and fighting for his rib bones with Brer Bear.

Who knows. I think the idea of it being PC got blown out of proportion and it someone carried that momentum til this day.

pppapazo

Does anyone know the last time Song of the South was released in theaters? I could swear I saw it as a child in the '80s.

Anyway, I think the movie could find its way into the Walt Disney Treasures DVD line eventually. What with leonard Maltin's introductions, it seems to be THE place where Disney releases its non-PC material. Maybe they could pair it with So Dear to My Heart as a collection of early Disney attempts to mix live action with animation. They could throw in some of the Alice cartoons as well.

Peter

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom