New Hope for Indy Themed Land at the Studios?

peep

That's the way Burbank plays now sadly. All about IP and synergy.

But surely the best way to cash in on a well-loved IP with great synergy is to have them released/open within a similar time period? If the 5th film is due to be released in 2018 and they want to open a new ride while it still counts as synergy from that box office then WDW should have started construction years ago.

The last few decisions like this the company have made recently (Avatar and Frozen) have felt like someone in a board room panicked and just ordered something to be done ASAP without giving anyone any time to actually think about it. Whereas this is a long-standing IP that has been very popular since the early 80s, any sequel (despite the last film) will do crazy numbers at the box office, it's a given. There's no risk. Just look at the sheer amount of press they got just from announcing that another film is in the works and the many stories ran in the press over the last few years hinting at such a thing.

But clearly Disney already knows this, I mean, why else would they open a bar in Disney Springs with a random connection to the franchise?

I personally love the Indy franchise, the trilogy is excellent. However I'm not a massive fan of the stunt show, I'd prefer something that was like an actual show, with plot and everything, rather than taking 10 minutes to explain how they just achieved that stunt. So maybe they could just create a new show with modern effects?

cheezbat

The next movie will probably make a billion dollars no matter how good or bad it is. Look at the cash Crystal Skull made and critics and moviegoers alike hated it.
Regardless of that, it's a 35 year old franchise with four very successful movies and timeless characters that are still popular today. Build a ride or land, I guarantee it'll become a very popular ride or area in the park.

Heck, you can keep Toy Story Land, Cars Land, and even Star Wars Land...just give me an Indy ride and ill spend my money at DHS again!

Marc Davis Fan

This gives me new hope for an IJA in MK. If Disney seeks to add Indy to WDW, I'd hope for an IJA in Adventureland (which could coincide with the removal of Aladdin). MK represents WDW to most guests, and thus it's the most important park for creating a positive impression of WDW; as a result, keeping up the number of major e-tickets in that park is of special importance for the public perception of WDW and thus the decision to spend more time at WDW parks vs spending time elsewhere.

FigmentForver96

This gives me new hope for an IJA in MK. If Disney seeks to add Indy to WDW, I'd hope for an IJA in Adventureland (which could coincide with the removal of Aladdin). MK represents WDW to most guests, and thus it's the most important park for creating a positive impression of WDW; as a result, keeping up the number of major e-tickets in that park is of special importance for the public perception of WDW and thus the decision to spend more time at WDW parks vs spending time elsewhere.
Magic Kingdom needs new rides but the other parks, especially Hollywood Studios, need them more. Adding more and more big rides to Magic Kingdom and not the others will only make the overcrowding of the park worse then it is now.

elchippo

SW on one side, and Toy Story on the other....Indy would be a nice third "world" for DHS. If Star Wars is going into the "Adventureland" spot and Toy Story in the "Fantsyland" spot, then we need a "Frontierland", am I right? (I guess my analogy makes Sunset Blvd Tomorrowland and Muppets Liberty Square-ha!)

It would actually make more sense (well, to me, who technically knows nothing) to build an Indy land where SWL is I believe to be going, on the left side of Star Tours (if you're looking at it). They could build SWL around Muppets and over to the Canyon/LMA area, leave the Indy stuff that's there now, and once SWL is done, close and revamp Indy. Heck, maybe that's what happening. I get most of my info from here and lose track of what's actually happening half the time.

Just "armchairing" it here.

Marc Davis Fan

Magic Kingdom needs new rides but the other parks, especially Hollywood Studios, need them more. Adding more and more big rides to Magic Kingdom and not the others will only make the overcrowding of the park worse then it is now.

I'm skeptical of the increased crowding arguments re new e-tickets in MK, because it's already saturated (practically everybody visiting WDW goes to MK already, so people riding the new e-ticket would've overwhelmingly already been planning to go to MK). Additional e-tickets can also include significant expansions of walking space (as they're doing with DL right now). The main reason I'd think MK needs more e-tickets is to persuade more 1-day visitors to later visit WDW's other parks, e.g., because the park they tried was so great, they want to see more WDW.

Of course, if @marni1971 says IJA isn't coming to MK, IJA isn't coming to MK.

If IJA or other additional Indy presence came to DHS (or whatever it'll be called), I hope there's enough of a "land" to create proper visual surroundings for, say, the experience of approaching and entering the temple, etc. I don't think an Indy ride would be as successful with visual contradictions around it, as it relies on the "remote locale" premise. This works beautifully at DL and apparently TDS. Let's hope that if IJA or anything similar comes to WDW, the setting will be proper in these ways. And now that I think of it, DHS could use a quiet, nature-based setting somewhere, as it seems to be the most "concrete" of the parks. A jungle/forest based area could be really valuable.

Last edited:

DisDan

I'm skeptical of the increased crowding arguments re new e-tickets in MK, because it's already saturated (practically everybody visiting WDW goes to MK already, so people riding the new e-ticket would've overwhelmingly already been planning to go to MK). Additional e-tickets can also include significant expansions of walking space (as they're doing with DL right now). The main reason I'd think MK needs more e-tickets is to persuade more 1-day visitors to later visit WDW's other parks, e.g., because the park they tried was so great, they want to see more WDW.

Of course, if @marni1971 says IJA isn't coming to MK, IJA isn't coming to MK.

It's not about people NOT visiting MK. It's more about the people vacationing at WDW spending more time in the OTHER parks so that not everyone feels they have to flood to MK because it is the only "Good" park with new attractions to see/ride. That is why WDW needs to focus on the other parks now.

Last edited:

olie64

Indiana Jones, while popular I think it would have to be more of a mini land. There is more than enough stuff to make a whole land, but I do not think it popular enough with the 30 under crowd to build a whole land. When this ,if built the 30 under crowd will now be the middle age crowd who will be coming. Not as big of a poll as say Stars Wars, which is universally known. That's why I think a Pixar area would be the biggest hit, since the under 30 crowd grew up with Pixar Movies.

just my 2 cents.

ToTBellHop

Indiana Jones, while popular I think it would have to be more of a mini land. There is more than enough stuff to make a whole land, but I do not think it popular enough with the 30 under crowd to build a whole land. When this ,if built the 30 under crowd will now be the middle age crowd who will be coming. Not as big of a poll as say Stars Wars, which is universally known. That's why I think a Pixar area would be the biggest hit, since the under 30 crowd grew up with Pixar Movies.

just my 2 cents.
Agreed. A ride with retail and a restaurant would work. Like a couple of those Hong Kong minilands. And honestly, if it's built after three full-scale lands for DHS, that'd be reasonable.

elchippo

I'm skeptical of the increased crowding arguments re new e-tickets in MK, because it's already saturated
Agreed. And with the amount of work that was just done on the hub and new Fantasyland, plus the VOLUME happening at DHS, DAK, and even EPCOT, I sort of feel MK is "finished" at least for now. I know, I know, it'll "never be complete" and you can make all kinds of cases for improvements in Tomorrowland and Frontierland or wherever, but clearly they know the problems right now are in the other three parks.

Hula Popper

Expanded Pixar presence, new Star Wars land, and a potential Indiana Jones land....let's expand the Muppets presence to include something Labyrinth related and add a Marvel Howard the Duck attraction, and rename this place Disney's George Lucas Adventure.

FigmentJedi

Expanded Pixar presence, new Star Wars land, and a potential Indiana Jones land....let's expand the Muppets presence to include something Labyrinth related and add a Marvel Howard the Duck attraction, and rename this place Disney's George Lucas Adventure.
Disney doesn't own Labyrinth. That's still with the Jim Henson Company and Sony.

Disney only owns the Muppet Show franchise, Bear in the Big Blue House and Dinosaurs

tman2000

[QUOTE="Thebolt, post: 7131988, member: 110195]
I can imagine another Epcot transformation of Morocco pavillion into Indiana Jones.[/QUOTE]

That's a fantastic idea!

Frankly, future world needs more help, but any improvement to Epcot is welcomed. I could return to international pavilion any time, but there are some dead spaces. The Frozenificiation of Norway suggests a new tone for the area.

The Indy ride could totally be a jeep through Morrocan windy streets that crashes into an old Roman temple dig. That would fit perfectly with the theme.

RSoxNo1

I'd really like Indy in the Animal Kingdom; as it would be a great fit.
Can't see that one happening though, as that park is getting plenty of new stuff already.
I can imagine another Epcot transformation of Morocco pavillion into Indiana Jones.

That's a fantastic idea!

Frankly, future world needs more help, but any improvement to Epcot is welcomed. I could return to international pavilion any time, but there are some dead spaces. The Frozenificiation of Norway suggests a new tone for the area.

The Indy ride could totally be a jeep through Morrocan windy streets that crashes into an old Roman temple dig. That would fit perfectly with the theme.
Stop putting IPs in World Showcase. The best fit for Indy would be DHS, followed by Adventureland.

elchippo

Indy could also be the next theme for the World Showcase game?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom