deleted

Sunset7132

The Toy Story segment sounds awesome. But Disney really shouldn't project on the Tower of Terror. Couldn't they do that on the Chinese Theater? Common sense Disney, common sense. And a lack of imagination.....
Why shouldn't they project on tower of terror ? They have enough projections on the theater, I think the change will be nice

Sunset7132

RIP
tip594343LARGE.jpg
Awww miss this

dreamfinder

Why shouldn't they project on tower of terror ? They have enough projections on the theater, I think the change will be nice

Using projections to enhance the theming/experience of ToT is one thing. Occasional lightning, sparks, etc as proposed by a few PPs could enhance the area and ride. Projecting a giant dancing Olaf or Mickey on the side of what is supposed to be an eerie menacing object ruins the effect. I'd personally even find that if they projected Jack Skellington or the like to be out of place as well.

RSoxNo1

Just because you could do something, doesn't mean you should. Having said that, they're working with what they have in the park right now, which isn't much. If this gets people into the park before Toy Story Land opens, it's a temporary thing. I try not to get upset about these types of temporary things.

WDWTank

Because it would break the 1930's abandoned hotel theming. I always see theme parks as a work of art. To me, theme parks aren't about looking at things, it's about experiencing things; Christmas projections on the Hollywood Tower Hotel would take apart the storyline and aesthetics of the elevator incident on October 31st, 1939 :)

drizgirl

Because it would break the 1930's abandoned hotel theming. I always see theme parks as a work of art. To me, theme parks aren't about looking at things, it's about experiencing things; Christmas projections on the Hollywood Tower Hotel would take apart the storyline and aesthetics of the elevator incident on October 31st, 1939 :)
Be glad it's just a projection. You could get that monstrosity they put at DCA.

WDWTank

Projection mapping is like screens in rides - it should be a tool used to create and deepen an overall effect, not the entire attraction unto themselves. They're accents, embellishments. My favorite use of projection mapping remains Uni's use of them to make New York seem to be decaying and crumbling during HHN. It's a great, atmospheric element. The suggestions above about how to make ToT spookier would also be great.

I have to believe projection shows and screen rides have a very limited shelf life - they'll get old quick.
I agree, and then it's wasted dollars to rebuild another replacement. Also, I believe one of the things Walt hated about amusement parks was the constant need for change, replacements. Despite his quote, I think part of his point was that Disneyland and true theme parks are supposed to be a museum. That way the theme is fixed and constant, not broken or dynamic like an amusement park. Take a look at Pirates(unfortunately another Disney casualty), Haunted Mansion, and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Notice all of the cobwebs in HTH's lobby. It's supposed to be old. That's the intention. In pirates, part of the experience is transported back in time, to when Pirates ruled the seas. Pirates were not Johnny Depp. They were bad, rum-smuggling criminals with the intention to steal one's wealth or fortune. The auction change voids that with more "political correctness". But that's not the themed intention. I wonder what some of the guests ate for lunch, "French Fries?!"

Biff215

I agree they're overusing the projection technology. It's used better when coupled with a fireworks show IMO. All by itself seems a bit boring, and Tower/Sunset is simply the wrong location. I get they need new offerings badly, but it shouldn't be at the expense of theme and crowd control.

WDWTank

I agree they're overusing the projection technology. It's used better when coupled with a fireworks show IMO. All by itself seems a bit boring, and Tower/Sunset is simply the wrong location. I get they need new offerings badly, but it shouldn't be at the expense of theme and crowd control.
They shouldn't have closed The Great Movie Ride. Now, they're paying double for new attractions. One for GMR replacement, and the other budget for "temporary capacity filling attractions that some guests may not be interested in". I went with my friend to DHS, and told them the GMR closed, they at first didn't remember the ride but after I told them They remembered it. It had shorter wait times but was another ride to do inside of a smaller park! I hope Disney grows out of this absurd, "common-senseless" ideology!

Sunset7132

That makes sense

jt04

Just because you could do something, doesn't mean you should. Having said that, they're working with what they have in the park right now, which isn't much. If this gets people into the park before Toy Story Land opens, it's a temporary thing. I try not to get upset about these types of temporary things.

Exactly. People first complain there isn't enough offerings in the park and then when they come up with a very smart workaround they complain about that. Proof that some just look for something to whine over. Even while others are truly suffering. And no, I am not complaining. Just adding perspective.

lentesta

Premium Member
It's a Fastpass draw, but standby times have seemingly settled to an area around what DCA's Tower was at. Perhaps @lentesta has some actual data on it's popularity.

Guardians is top 3 in DCA, along with RSR and Soarin'. Soarin' and RSR do much better with young children than GotG, and Soarin' does better with seniors. I'd have to do the math to see which one comes out on top. But they all do well with grade schoolers, teens, young adults, and the "over 30" set.

RSoxNo1

Guardians is top 3 in DCA, along with RSR and Soarin'. Soarin' and RSR do much better with young children than GotG, and Soarin' does better with seniors. I'd have to do the math to see which one comes out on top. But they all do well with grade schoolers, teens, young adults, and the "over 30" set.
Is that much different than Tower of Terror's standings?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom