New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

lazyboy97o

The mechanism of the switch is not the impressive part. The impressive part is that the train stays in motion the whole time (and not at an insignificant speed). Consider on Hagrids how short of a distance and how short of time the ride would have to stop the train should the switch not move and relock in the time between when the train fully passes the switch, accelerates to the launch, stalls, then reverses over the switch. On Everist and Grizzley, the train comes to a full stop (or is on a lift hill which could be easily stopped if necessary) while the switch track locks. If there is an issue with the switch, the computer just keeps the train stopped... no biggie. Hagrid stays in continuous motion. The safety mechanisms need to monitor the train and the switch to ensure the switch moves and locks before the train hits a point of no return where the safety system couldn't stop the ride . The safety mechanisms and sensors that need to go into that feat are pretty crazy...
Nobody would be crazy enough to have a point of no return. What you describe is not a fail safe design. The brakes are engaged, you’re just not at them. The computer is not waiting to be told of an error to hit the brakes. Instead, the computer is looking for confirmation of the track being fully switched to deactivate the brakes before you get to them.

Rich Brownn

There was a 10 hour wait shortly after the park opened. The park was open for only 12 hours, and the ride only operated for 11. A virtual queue might've saved some folks from having to stand in line, but no one else was getting on the ride that day. Then you get people complaining that they couldn't even queue up, like when Disney runs out of Fastpasses first thing in the morning, but worse. It's a lose-lose situation.
There is no virtual queue. Its basically going to be a "virtual overflow" - when the line backs up to a certain point, you'll be given a return time to enter the actual queue. It is not like a FastPass or Virtual Queue where you skip the line

Rich Brownn

Both of those opening days predate my birth, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Either way, opening day is never a good time.
Epcot opened and by the end of the day, every ride except Mexico had broken down (and there was a refund desk set up at entrance). A car even unlocked on Spaceship Earth on the decent, almost throwing 4 people out of the car. Space Mountain was hopelessly behind schedule but to prevent the sponsor from walking, opened for Christmas in 1973 - none of the effects were in place. And even at opening in January, it was quickly realized the track was too rough and that the curves needed to be banked. The tracks were actually rebuilt during the early parts of 1974 (one side at a time).

lazyboy97o

There is no virtual queue. Its basically going to be a "virtual overflow" - when the line backs up to a certain point, you'll be given a return time to enter the actual queue. It is not like a FastPass or Virtual Queue where you skip the line
Virtual queuing is not line skipping. What you described is a virtual queue.

Little Green Men

Epcot opened and by the end of the day, every ride except Mexico had broken down (and there was a refund desk set up at entrance). A car even unlocked on Spaceship Earth on the decent, almost throwing 4 people out of the car. Space Mountain was hopelessly behind schedule but to prevent the sponsor from walking, opened for Christmas in 1973 - none of the effects were in place. And even at opening in January, it was quickly realized the track was too rough and that the curves needed to be banked. The tracks were actually rebuilt during the early parts of 1974 (one side at a time).
First I ever heard that. @marni1971 Can you clarify?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
First I ever heard that. @marni1971 Can you clarify?
I can believe the problems opening EPCOT, though I don’t believe everything was down at once. The rides were too state of the art and untested against an immovable opening date.

SSE did have RV locking issues. A cast member was positioned under the track in 180top to manually check the rotation was locked in place for the descent, and manually swing the cars if needed.

However, Space Mountain was never meant to open in 1973. The original opening date was June 1974 which was missed by a mile (the date was set before construction began) but by that date the project was only 80% complete. By Christmas 1973 there was no ride to ride. Bill Watkins was the first human to ride on July 1 1974, and by October 1974 testing was well underway with the project 85% complete.

Parts of the track were rebuilt during the first half of 1976 to smooth out troublesome sections, one side at a time.

Rich Brownn

I can believe the problems opening EPCOT, though I don’t believe everything was down at once. The rides were too state of the art and untested against an immovable opening date.

SSE did have RV locking issues. A cast member was positioned under the track in 180top to manually check the rotation was locked in place for the descent, and manually swing the cars if needed.

However, Space Mountain was never meant to open in 1973. The original opening date was June 1974 which was missed by a mile (the date was set before construction began) but by that date the project was only 80% complete. By Christmas 1973 there was no ride to ride. Bill Watkins was the first human to ride on July 1 1974, and by October 1974 testing was well underway with the project 85% complete.

Parts of the track were rebuilt during the first half of 1976 to smooth out troublesome sections, one side at a time.
Sorry I meant 1974/75. I started work at Disney Tomorrowland in June '74

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom