New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

bhg469

"Family coasters" with elaborate "scenes" are just so hugely popular. They all get multiple hour lines.

Don't know why even more of them aren't being built.

Yes, I know fans of the slow dark ride want more of those and fume every time a family coaster is announced. And yes, their capacity isn't that great. So... just build more of them.

And contain the cost.
Could you imagine if mine train was actually the size it was supposed to be? Instant praise... Instead, its just a nice ride..

fosse76

I'm still having a hard time believing that they aren't offering Early Admission for IoA this month with this ride opening. With a ride that will surely have massive demand, extending the ride's operating time is one way to add least somewhat increase the total capacity for the day
They'll probably need the extra time to to resolve technical issues.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People hanging around waiting for soft opening.... cars are running but entrance is blocked. Exit lockers and entrance have staff at them.

They said normal opening Thursday.... virtual queuing starting friday

Attachments

• 56C34D77-0C59-40C6-84C4-EEE8AC2399D4.jpeg
    56C34D77-0C59-40C6-84C4-EEE8AC2399D4.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 97

raven

THIS. RIDE. IS. AMAZING! :D

Just rode an hour ago and it totally blows the lid off any coaster I’ve ridden in a long time (and I’m a huge coaster buff). So fast, so fun, and the bike rider even has a little interactive part towards the end of the ride. Many technical issues being worked out (as expected) but this one is a BIG one!

flynnibus

Premium Member
THIS. RIDE. IS. AMAZING! :D

Just rode an hour ago and it totally blows the lid off any coaster I’ve ridden in a long time (and I’m a huge coaster buff). So fast, so fun, and the bike rider even has a little interactive part towards the end of the ride. Many technical issues being worked out (as expected) but this one is a BIG one!

Because of special access or did they eventually open to guests waiting?

I thought I saw people on it (didn't look hard) but they seemed to be holding their guns around 6-630 that no softs tonight. But it did seem like maybe team members were training

Purduevian

So fast, so fun, and the bike rider even has a little interactive part towards the end of the ride. Many technical issues being worked out (as expected) but this one is a BIG one!

Are you able to say any more about the interactive element? Is it something like reeving the engine or turning the headlight on at a certain point? I am really hopping this rollercoaster is the new standard that all Universal and Disney coasters in the future will be based on (kind of like Disney finally catching up to Spiderman with MMRR and RotR)

raven

Are you able to say any more about the interactive element? Is it something like reeving the engine or turning the headlight on at a certain point? I am really hopping this rollercoaster is the new standard that all Universal and Disney coasters in the future will be based on (kind of like Disney finally catching up to Spiderman with MMRR and RotR)
No spoilers just yet ;)

Stripes

I...am highly critical of theming.
As I've said before, theming is of upmost importance to me. I thought that Universal had higher standards for the Wizarding World, but this is just a massive eyesore. The thrills seem to be getting high praise from those that have ridden it, although I'm not sure if that's because none of these people have ever experienced a drop track before. Nonetheless, as someone who puts theming above everything else, it's impossible for me to put this ride above Everest, Big Thunder, or Mummy.

Jones14

As I've said before, theming is of upmost importance to me. I thought that Universal had higher standards for the Wizarding World, but this is just a massive eyesore. The thrills seem to be getting high praise from those that have ridden it, although I'm not sure if that's because none of these people have ever experienced a drop track before. Nonetheless, as someone who puts theming above everything else, it's impossible for me to put this ride above Everest, Big Thunder, or Mummy.
View attachment 380740
I’ve been on it twice now, and I don’t think that screenshot is a fair assessment of the overall level of theming. The ride is not quite as detailed as Big Thunder Mountain (on average; the portions in and around the ruins/stables are right up there with it, and it has a lot more in the way of advanced figures and effects), but it more than rivals Everest, and the few gaps in the experience (painted showbuilding, for example) are more than made up for by the whole.

That’s not to say that there aren’t flaws, but I wouldn’t be worried about the ride comparing favorably to the ones you’ve mentioned; It’s really quite fantastic :)

Stripes

That’s not to say that there aren’t flaws, but I wouldn’t be worried about the ride comparing favorably to the ones you’ve mentioned; It’s really quite fantastic :)
I bet it is. Can you tell me which part(s) of the ride you enjoyed most? How is the interior of the drop track building?

Jones14

I bet it is. Can you tell me which part(s) of the ride you enjoyed most? How is the interior of the drop track building?
That’s hard, to be honest! The pace of the ride is lightning quick; you can tell they heard the stop and go complaints of Gringotts and Kong loud and clear, so the ride zips through everything at a nicely energetic pace. As a result, it’s hard to judge each vignette/section on its own, especially since I didn’t ride it very many times.

With that in mind, here’s some thoughts:

1) The beginning is strong. Once your restraints are locked in you travel behind another train or two (think omnimover style) down a long hallway that leads to the outdoors. There’s a slow U-Turn leading into a straightaway through some nice ruins/stables theming, and as you round the bend you can see the trains in front of you speed off into the rest of the ride. It’s a nice little excitement builder, and the lack of a stop sets the tone for the overall pace of the ride.

2) The scene in the hut with the Skrewt is really nice, and the whole animatronic is on a sort of rotating platform so that it can whip around. Both this and the Hagrid figure are very fluid, and Hagrid is positioned so that you only see him for a quick moment on the way out, which I felt was smart, since he’s the only human animatronic you see on the ride. I have a quibble, but I’ll wait to share until the ride is officially open, as it was something that struck me as unfinished rather than a flat out mistake.

3) The coaster sections are just so fun. There’s so many speed boosts, and there’s a ton of twists and turns at a solid speed. If you want a little more intensity, take the motorbike; it’s a little more exposed, and you really feel the bunny hop. The sidecar has better views of the show scenes, though, so it’s whichever you’re more into.

4) The spike element is PERFECTLY executed. If I had to pick any 30 seconds of the ride and get rid of everything else, it would be this. It’s just perfect.

5) The drop building is more of a mixed bag. The theming slips a bit when you look directly at the tree mural right before going in, and the centaur is the most fake looking of the creatures. Once you hit the Devil’s Snare, though, it picks right back up, and the tendril effects are excellent. The drop itself is fun, but not nearly as scary or intense as I anticipated. From there, there’s a fun pseudo-interactive element, and then it’s off to the end with a final boost and coaster section.

Overall, it’s in my Top 3 at the resort, and easily my favorite of the Potter rides. It’s just so much fun.

Last edited:

Stripes

That’s hard, to be honest! The pace of the ride is lightning quick; you can tell they heard the stop and go complaints of Gringotts and Kong loud and clear, so the ride zips through everything at a nicely energetic pace. As a result, it’s hard to judge each vignette/section on its own, especially since I didn’t ride it very many times.

With that in mind, here’s some thoughts:

1) The beginning is strong. Once your restraints are locked in you travel behind another train or two (think omnimover style) down a long hallway that leads to the outdoors. There’s a slow U-Turn leading into a straightaway through some nice ruins/stables theming, and as you round the bend you can see the trains in front of you speed off into the rest of the ride. It’s a nice little excitement builder, and the lack of a stop sets the tone for the overall pace of the ride.

2) The scene in the hut with the Skrewt is really nice, and the whole animatronic is on a sort of rotating platform so that it can whip around. Both this and the Hagrid figure are very fluid, and Hagrid is positioned so that you only see him for a quick moment on the way out, which I felt was smart, since he’s the only human animatronic you see on the ride. I have a quibble, but I’ll wait to share until the ride is officially open, as it was something that struck me as unfinished rather than a flat out mistake.

3) The coaster sections are just so fun. There’s so many speed boosts, and there’s a ton of twists and turns at a solid speed. If you want a little more intensity, take the motorbike; it’s a little more exposed, and you really feel the bunny hop. The sidecar has better views of the show scenes, though, so it’s whichever you’re more into.

4) The spike element is PERFECTLY executed. If I had to pick any 30 seconds of the ride and get rid of everything else, it would be this. It’s just perfect.

5) The drop building is more of a mixed bag. The theming slips a bit when you look directly at the tree mural right before going in, and the centaur is the most fake looking of the creatures. Once you hit the Devil’s Snare, though, it picks right back up, and the tendril effects are excellent. The drop itself is fun, but not nearly as scary or intense as I anticipated. From there, there’s a fun pseudo-interactive element, and then it’s off to the end with a final boost and coaster section.

Overall, it’s in my Top 3 at the resort, and easily my favorite of the Potter rides. It’s just so much fun.
Yeah the spike looks really steep. On a test run it didn’t look like the back cars reached quite the angle though. Probably good seats for those that are worried about intensity.

Just curious, how much do you enjoy Forbidden Journey?

Jones14

Yeah the spike looks really steep. On a test run it didn’t look like the back cars reached quite the angle though. Probably good seats for those that are worried about intensity.

Just curious, how much do you enjoy Forbidden Journey?
The back row barely goes up, but you really feel the intensity of the backwards section, so it’s a tradeoff in the same way that Everest is. If someone’s worried about intensity, I think they should be more focused on getting a seat in the sidecar versus placement towards the front or the back.

I like Forbidden Journey! It makes me a little ill nowadays, but I think it’s a stronger attraction than Gringotts, and it was absolutely a game-changer when it first opened.

For reference, though, my Top 3 is currently inhabited by Mummy, Spider-Man, and Hagrid.

Quinnmac000

Theme park insider...
Like that Blast-Ended Skrewt he bred from a Fire Crab and a Manticore, Hagrid once again has managed to create something amazing through a difficult combination: a world-class roller coaster and an engaging dark ride. Many have tried to cross-breed these before, but Hagrid has done it best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom