New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

JustInTime

I know we seem to be in the minority, but I have to agree with you here. I'm pretty hardcore into Potter, and that was my first thought when I saw Fluffy. Other than being a 3-headed dog, he looks pretty off to me. Wrong coat color, wrong eye color, and he seems to be missing the pattern on his faces?

Not to mention that Fluffy was ultimately sent back to Greece by Dumbledore in the official canon, so when does this attraction take place?
I had all these thoughts as well. But be careful. They have pitchforks in this thread.

And not like I’m dogg ing the ride (lol had to space that, the site censored it), it just dosnt match the film creature. And the centaurs look like Pandora aliens!

Plus the plot issue you mentioned.

OG Runner

I honestly wish I was more skilled with combining responses, (and this is not bringing out a pitchfork), but seriously. This is a RIDE!!!
You are worried about the color of the mechanical dogs eyes, and when in the stories timeline you are. This is a RIDE!!! You get on it,
go around and up and down and see things and have fun. Honestly, if you put this kind of thought into every ride you ride, how do you
have any fun?

lazyboy97o

I honestly wish I was more skilled with combining responses, (and this is not bringing out a pitchfork), but seriously. This is a RIDE!!!
You are worried about the color of the mechanical dogs eyes, and when in the stories timeline you are. This is a RIDE!!! You get on it,
go around and up and down and see things and have fun. Honestly, if you put this kind of thought into every ride you ride, how do you
have any fun?
So what if it is just a ride? Movies and TV shows have people who are responsible for maintaining continuity and cannon. Why is themed entertainment a lesser medium where such care and consideration be ridiculed?

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

go around and up and down and see things and have fun.

Why does it bother you so much that people may have a dissenting opinion on aspects of this attraction? Does it somehow make you enjoy the ride less? Like, I get disagreeing, but you're doubling down on this in a ridiculous way. People are just as entitled to feel that the animatronic looks off as they are entitled to think that it doesn't. I've spent the better part of 20+ years of my life obsessing over Harry Potter, so stuff like that stands out instantly to me, as it will to many of the fans that ride the attraction.

Here's a pretty poorly kept secret: The Potter fandom is rabid in its devotion and downright terrifying in its attention to detail. The coloration of a figure seems like a pretty basic thing to get right. Do you think people wouldn't notice or have an opinion if they put a pink C3P0 in the queue for Star Tours, or populated MMRR with a purple Mickey with green eyes? C'mon.

Honestly, if you put this kind of thought into every ride you ride, how do you have any fun?

Typically the designers do that so that I don't have to. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

JT3000

have any fun?

Spoiler: They don't put this much though into every ride. I don't think I've seen this much overanalyzing in my 20 years of posting on theme park forums.

Stupid entertainment for stupid people, etc.

This is why Potter fans rub people the wrong way. Tolkien it is not.

Rich Brownn

I know we seem to be in the minority, but I have to agree with you here. I'm pretty hardcore into Potter, and that was my first thought when I saw Fluffy. Other than being a 3-headed dog, he looks pretty off to me. Wrong coat color, wrong eye color, and he seems to be missing the pattern on his faces?

Not to mention that Fluffy was ultimately sent back to Greece by Dumbledore in the official canon, so when does this attraction take place?
Feom the official TM class... the answer to that question is "The Wizarding World is timeless". I mean on the Hogwarts express we have characters that are dead :D

Castle Cake Apologist

Spoiler: They don't put this much though into every ride. I don't think I've seen this much overanalyzing in my 20 years of posting on theme park forums.

This is why Potter fans rub people the wrong way. Tolkien it is not.

Wouldn't really say it's over analyzing to offer the opinion that a major figure in the attraction looks a little off brand, but sure.

I guarantee you that the Potter fans have nothing on the Star Wars fans that will be 100x worse come this fall.

For what it's worth, "stupid entertainment for stupid people" is a quote regarding how Disney leadership views the theme parks, wasn't necessarily about anybody specifically.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Feom the official TM class... the answer to that question is "The Wizarding World is timeless". I mean on the Hogwarts express we have characters that are dead :D

The wonky timeline has always been a little weird to me, to be honest. I can't ever place where in the canon it's meant to be, but apparently it isn't! Lol

Last edited:

celluloid

The wonky timeline has always been a little weird to me, to be honest. I can't ever place where in the canon it's meant to be, but apparently it isn't! Lol

The individual attractions do not take place in the same.time, but different years within the adventures. More of a span of the years. Some better than others.

JT3000

Wouldn't really say it's over analyzing to offer the opinion that a major figure in the attraction looks a little off brand, but sure.

I guarantee you that the Potter fans have nothing on the Star Wars fans that will be 100x worse come this fall.

For what it's worth, "stupid entertainment for stupid people" is a quote regarding how Disney leadership views the theme parks, wasn't necessarily about anybody specifically.

You will see that "major figure" for all of 5 seconds. Be thankful it even moves, unlike the spider in FJ.

Tom Morrow

Immersive theming, attention to detail, and accuracy are some the things I enjoy most about theme parks. It's not fair to say that deeply analyzing things is dumb because "it's just a ride", because if these things didn't matter, everyone would be perfectly happy with Six Flags.

That said, I don't think Fluffy looks bad at all.

Tom Morrow

BECAUSE IT IS A RIDE!!!!
Remember when people were like "it's just a video game, story doesn't matter. People won't take the story seriously anyway!" and now we have super cinematic video games that often tell better stories than movies?

The point is, never disregard a form of media/entertainment because of your pre-conceived notions of how it "should be."

celluloid

Continuity matters when it matters. Potter is such a big universe with many mediums of books and even films that are different from scene to scene, eye colors of the three headed dog choice are not pivitol by any means and it was a choice. Daniel Radcliffe's eyes were different color than Harry's in the books and that was a similar complaint for many. Many actors and character deisgns changed throughout the films.
Everyone has continuity choices when so many hands are in the pot or cooks in the kitchen.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

This discussion is weird, JK Rowling has oversight of all of this and she signed off on it. I.e. Fluffy looks the way it does because she insisted. Another example of her input is the sheer number of trees along the ride.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

This discussion is weird, JK Rowling has oversight of all of this and she signed off on it. I.e. Fluffy looks the way it does because she insisted. Another example of her input is the sheer number of trees along the ride.
Rowling is no longer that directly involved, typically delegating to Warner Bros. and Stuart Craig, and this project was done with minimal involvement from Warner Bros.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom