New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

OG Runner

I think the most appropriate question at this point will be, "Is it a worthy replacement for the Dragons?"

I would say for some yes, and for others no. This is a totally different kind of a coaster. I am thinking more people will
be riding this coaster than were riding Dragons. So, it is not just a yes or no answer, it is both.

OG Runner

That's going to be some trick considering that this bike coaster will likely have less than half capacity of the Dragons.

Yes, but at the same time, if some the posts here are to be believed, more trains will be on the track at a time. Also
I think you will find a wider spectrum of people wanting to ride this coaster than those that "were brave enough"
to ride Dragons.

JoeCamel

That's going to be some trick considering that this bike coaster will likely have less than half capacity of the Dragons.
Moving load/unload and multiple RVs on the track at once. They thought about capacity when they designed it. They do not want a repeat of this

Bairstow

Yes, but at the same time, if some the posts here are to be believed, more trains will be on the track at a time. Also
I think you will find a wider spectrum of people wanting to ride this coaster than those that "were brave enough"
to ride Dragons.
Do they have similar height requirements?
I will say that one thing Dragons had keeping its ridership down after the Potter retheme is that the entrance, lacking the original entrance statuary. It was hard to miss the sight of the dragon tracks themselves, but finding how to actually enter the queue was a bit harder, and usually required guests to backtrack from the exit area. Presumably this is something that can be remedied in the new attraction.

ToTBellHop

Do they have similar height requirements?
I will say that one thing Dragons had keeping its ridership down after the Potter retheme is that the entrance, lacking the original entrance statuary. It was hard to miss the sight of the dragon tracks themselves, but finding how to actually enter the queue was a bit harder, and usually required guests to backtrack from the exit area. Presumably this is something that can be remedied in the new attraction.
Dragon Challenge was 54”—average ~10 year old. This is 48”, which most kids hit when they are 7 or 7 1/2.

Bairstow

Moving load/unload and multiple RVs on the track at once. They thought about capacity when they designed it. They do not want a repeat of this
View attachment 356644
As I said, some trick.

I know it's Mauer and not Intamin, but the moving load at Rip Ride has been notoriously problematic. If Intamin can significantly (and reliably) improve on the ~1400 capacity of other Blitz coasters it will be quite an achievement, but there's just no way they can touch the people-eating potential of dualing B&M inverts.

JT3000

I don't know the new ride's capacity, but I do know it could be terrible and still have a higher ridership than Dragon Challenge. The perpetual lack of a line towards the end of its life wasn't entirely due to its high capacity. They weren't even running all the trains most of the time. The fact that this is a brand new Potter ride goes without saying, but it's also a tamer experience with a lower height requirement. Many more people will be riding this.

sedati

I previously guessed we'd see a stag patronus at the water loop seen here in a Bioreconstruct aerial:

Now I'm wondering with the hint of a previously unrealized creature from the books, could we see the giant squid or at least its tentacles whipping at us from the lake/pond?

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Height requirement is a surprisingly high 48”. I thought this was supposed to be more family friendly than the rest of the Wizarding World?

For a rollercoaster, 48" is pretty family friendly. Most theme parks in the UK have coasters that have 1.2m (48") restrictions that generally don't invert and 1.4m (55") restrictions for coasters than are more intense and usually invert.
An average 9 year old is about 48" so this seems about right.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For a rollercoaster, 48" is pretty family friendly. Most theme parks in the UK have coasters that have 1.2m (48") restrictions that generally don't invert and 1.4m (55") restrictions for coasters than are more intense and usually invert.
An average 9 year old is about 48" so this seems about right.

Warning: incoming pedantry...

Half of 7 year olds are 48". Almost all 8 year olds reach that height.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Warning: incoming pedantry...

Half of 7 year olds are 48". Almost all 8 year olds reach that height.

View attachment 357632
This brings out another point that should be made, height restriction doesn't always equate to how thrilling an attraction will be. Primeval and RnRC are two VERY different thrill factors and very different experiences but have the same height requirement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom