New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Stripes

Bad news, Life Formations is involved with this project and will likely be doing the Fluffy "AA". (In quotes for a reason.)

The more info that comes out about this project, the more I'm disappointed.

Stripes

Tron might be a decent length ft-wise, but time-wise and moments-wise, it feels really short.

I've heard the ride system will be something akin to this: and similar to Gringotts.

Agreed.

And that's the ride system I was referring to. I'm really excited about it. I don't know how anybody can look at this and think it's less advanced than Gringotts' ride system.

Professortango1

Agreed.

And that's the ride system I was referring to. I'm really excited about it. I don't know how anybody can look at this and think it's less advanced than Gringotts' ride system.

I don't think its less advanced, just incredibly similar. It might be a newer type of coaster, but its not its like something we haven't seen before.

With Guardians, I'm beyond hesitant considering how much they mucked up Mission BO in California. I'm afraid we're just going to be traveling past screens of stuff happening in a minimally themed environment. We already know there's no AA's planned for the ride.

Stripes

I don't think its less advanced, just incredibly similar. It might be a newer type of coaster, but its not its like something we haven't seen before.
It's very similar but it seems the controlled spinning can be applied to a much more thrilling track layout, instead of the just flat Gringotts track. (Yes, I know there's the dip in the beginning, but the spinning isn't at all utilized in that segment.)

The ride system also leads me to believe this will be much more than an updated RnRC.

Professortango1

It's very similar but it seems the controlled spinning can be applied to a much more thrilling track layout, instead of the just flat Gringotts track. (Yes, I know there's the dip in the beginning, but the spinning isn't at all utilized in that segment.)

The ride system also leads me to believe this will be much more than an updated RnRC.

So we're just talking about a more coastery version of an experience we've already experienced. I'm sure it will be thrilling, but I'm a huge fan of practical. I'd much rather ride Seven Dwarves than Kong or Fast and the Furious. Sure, the Universal entries are more thrilling, but I just don't care while riding them. SDMT at least gives me things to look at.

So Guardians will likely have a much more thrilling coaster than the new Potter addition, but I'd rather zoom past trees, into caverns, and past AA's than through minimalist sets and screens.

GLaDOS

The fact that they're involved at all is disappointing. Have you seen their work? If this is Universal's breakout animatronic ride, they're off to a bad start.
Listen, I'm gonna be honest, it's clear you want to be disappointed by this ride. Everything that gets brought up turns into a new reason to be disappointed. That's fine and all, but so far anyone that knows anything about the ride has said it's gonna be really good. I'm gonna take their word over the doom and gloom.

Stripes

Listen, I'm gonna be honest, it's clear you want to be disappointed by this ride. Everything that gets brought up turns into a new reason to be disappointed. That's fine and all, but so far anyone that knows anything about the ride has said it's gonna be really good. I'm gonna take their word over the doom and gloom.
I want to be disappointed? Absolutely not. With Universal's latest additions, I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the cost of my AP. I'm praying it will be as good as some are saying, but I'm not seeing it. I guess I'm missing something here. The one thing I'm excited about is the drop track scene as I think that has a lot of potential.

From Gringotts to Kong to Fallon to F&F, none of these attractions came close to reaching the level of hype (Well, maybe F&F did, but not for the right reason). Granted I think Gringotts and Kong are good rides, but the expectations were set way too high. My fear is that this is happening once again, where we have people overpromising, and the ride under-delivers.

lebeau

Total side note- Have you been yet this year? We noticed that Dinosaurs Alive is now closed. I was a little sad, we enjoyed that area.. and I wonder what will become of the dinosaurs.

We haven't been yet this year. Combination of busy schedules and the weather not cooperating. We'll be headed off to Universal soon and I am thinking I will likely take the girls for some "coaster training" right before we leave. As pass holders, we try to get two-three decent visit to the dry parks, a day or so at the water park and a visit to one or more of the holiday events. We're not frequent visitors but just those few trips more than pay for the passes.

I read late last season that Dinos Alive wasn't coming back. To be honest, I never got around to walking the trail. My kids don't like dinosaurs and never went solo. From what I have heard, the dinos were in pretty terrible shape by the end. Rumor has it we'll be getting something cool in that space, so it's all good.

Tom Morrow

Tron might be a decent length ft-wise, but time-wise and moments-wise, it feels really short.

I've heard the ride system will be something akin to this: and similar to Gringotts.

I'm excited for this project, but if the roller coaster track and ride system is once again just a mechanism to push us from scene to scene to sit and watch ala Gringotts instead of being a proper physically exciting ride, I'm going to be pretty upset. It means they have learned nothing from all of the backlash of their recent ride design choices. If it doesn't use screens, then great, but that's not their only ride design choice that needs to be dropped. I really hope it isn't like this and they prove me wrong.

Professortango1

I want to be disappointed? Absolutely not. With Universal's latest additions, I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the cost of my AP. I'm praying it will be as good as some are saying, but I'm not seeing it. I guess I'm missing something here. The one thing I'm excited about is the drop track scene as I think that has a lot of potential.

From Gringotts to Kong to Fallon to F&F, none of these attractions came close to reaching the level of hype (Well, maybe F&F did, but not for the right reason). Granted I think Gringotts and Kong are good rides, but the expectations were set way too high. My fear is that this is happening once again, where we have people overpromising, and the ride under-delivers.

Gringotts is incredibly enjoyable. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Kong...that was garbage in a pretty box.

As for value, we find that IOA and USO are more enjoyable than WDW. Park hopping is incredibly easy, the Universal versions of Disney's thrill rides are far better done, nothing matches Diagon Alley at Disney, and the atmosphere is a lot of fun. If you're burnt out, then you're burnt out, but the parks have only improved over the years as a whole.

GLaDOS

I'm excited for this project, but if the roller coaster track and ride system is once again just a mechanism to push us from scene to scene to sit and watch ala Gringotts instead of being a proper physically exciting ride, I'm going to be pretty upset. It means they have learned nothing from all of the backlash of their recent ride design choices. If it doesn't use screens, then great, but that's not their only ride design choice that needs to be dropped. I really hope it isn't like this and they prove me wrong.

The only time you’ll come to a complete stop during the ride is at the top of the track Switch spike and in the drop track building

dm11

I think the whole discussion has went off a bit too much to equating "new/innovative" with"E-ticket", "quality", "interesting", etc. While it's always nice to have a ride that comes with some sort of a breakthrough, that is by no means pre-requisite for it being a good, quality, even E-ticket level, addition. A factor for sure, but not a pre-requisite.

Personally, I do not like inversions or huge vertical drops on coasters. Revenge of the Mummy is about as thrilling as I would ride and this coaster so far sounds like it would fall into similar category (thrill-wise). And for record, the Mummy is one of my favorite rides :)

Disneyhead'71

What if it's a quasi-motorbike coaster with a near verticle hold/backwards drop in the dark and a drop track with multiple AAs and show scenes. No one has done that yet.

Stripes

What if it's a quasi-motorbike coaster with a near verticle hold/backwards drop in the dark and a drop track with multiple AAs and show scenes. No one has done that yet.
I would be very impressed! But consider me skeptical of the motorbike bit. I think that'd be rather dangerous with a drop track involved.

If they can find a way around that, then by all means, I would be very excited!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom