News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

matt9112

You don't ride public transport often do you?

You're way over the top with disgusting state of the monorails.

well I have (from boston) and the only thing that makes the monorail better than the T is the appearance of the exterior. being crammed on them hoping they don't overshoot the station or get stuck on the beam. (reliability rivals the purple line in winter) and they are disgusting considering they are owned and operated by a multi billion dollar company with all the means to repair and update much more often. I shouldn't be able to draw any conclusions about the monorail being like a public transit system that is a underfunded profit loss generating beurocracy.

but your right there not quite as bad but there pretty Damn close. should be much more like Tokyo's.

Goofyernmost

Did you really just go back and dig up a post of mine from 3 weeks ago, and then call me delusional and tell me not to forget to keep expanding on how awful it is every time I tell someone? Are you drunk? LOL! What the heck!?

Edit: for the record, I made one comment about the odor on the monorails and that was like 12 pages ago. One. You clearly must have be confused with someone else....but I still don’t get why you go back 3 weeks to quote me and then go off as if i’ve been harping on the issue this whole time. It makes no sense.
Sorry, I backward follow a different post and saw this one. I didn't even look at who posted it or how long ago it was. But, since we were on that topic, I used that as a jumping off point. Nothing personal other then to emphasize just how silly some of these comparisons are. If you have ever had the enjoyment of making nasal contact with a "musty diaper" you would never had made that statement. You wouldn't be able to because your eyes would still be watering.

However, there is a certain slight connection because the traditional monorail smell does kind of have a over-drift of ammonia, which is what that alleged diaper would have been emanating. Ammonia is used to disinfect and clean so it is possible you caught that underlying affect. I have maintained that it is what they use for cleaning that leaves that lingering odor. I don't find it offensive but I do find it noticeable and have since day one. Diaper associates dirt and uncleanliness. Ammonia means cleaned and disinfected. There is a difference. So, in short I didn't "search" for that post, I just happened upon it and used it to make a point. It's just that when that was combined with "livestock barn" the validity of the statement screamed for a rebuttal.

bclane

Sorry, I backward follow a different post and saw this one. I didn't even look at who posted it or how long ago it was. But, since we were on that topic, I used that as a jumping off point. Nothing personal other then to emphasize just how silly some of these comparisons are. If you have ever had the enjoyment of making nasal contact with a "musty diaper" you would never had made that statement. You wouldn't be able to because your eyes would still be watering.

However, there is a certain slight connection because the traditional monorail smell does kind of have a over-drift of ammonia, which is what that alleged diaper would have been emanating. Ammonia is used to disinfect and clean so it is possible you caught that underlying affect. I have maintained that it is what they use for cleaning that leaves that lingering odor. I don't find it offensive but I do find it noticeable and have since day one. Diaper associates dirt and uncleanliness. Ammonia means cleaned and disinfected. There is a difference. So, in short I didn't "search" for that post, I just happened upon it and used it to make a point. It's just that when that was combined with "livestock barn" the validity of the statement screamed for a rebuttal.
Ok no worries. I figured it must have been some misunderstanding. However, you said above that, "If you have ever had the enjoyment of making nasal contact with a "musty diaper" you would never had made that statement", and I have to tell you that, as a father who stayed home with my kids until they started school (I ran a business from home at the time while my wife worked), I smelled and changed a lot of diapers during those first few years. Just for fun, I googled, "diaper smell on Disney monorails" and there are apparently a lot of people who smell what I do. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me and I understand that we don't all perceive the same things (i.e.some people love cilantro while others think it tastes like soapy water). I love the monorail and look forward to riding it every time we go. I can't tell you how many times we have gone to Epcot but parked at MK just so we could make the monorail run and look for bunnies, gators, and deer. So while I often (but not always) do perceive a diaper odor on the trip, it has never and will never stop me from enjoying my beloved monorail ride.

jaxonp

I really want to believe this gondola thing will be great but it just seems cheesy and so backwards of a decision for this company to make. At a very minimum, we should be getting A/C...

meyeet

I really want to believe this gondola thing will be great but it just seems cheesy and so backwards of a decision for this company to make. At a very minimum, we should be getting A/C...
I think the following two posts make the arguments on why A/C would be a waste on these.

Designed for AC, but then with AC that's broken or doesn't work well would be much worse than designed without AC from the beginning.

A design that's for AC has air movement goals that are all about keeping cool air in and hot air out. Not losing what's already been cooled. When the cooling mechanism breaks or isn't working correctly, this design has issues. Since, it's not set up to create ventilation and instead the air get's stagnate and hot. Not an issue if it's working as designed, but when broken the design creates issues. Just like a car or sealed building when the AC breaks. (Or a monorail.)

A design that's for ventilation, especially for passive ventilation, there's nothing to break. It creates ventilation from the movement of the car through the passive design of the cabin for air flow. More like an open air pavilion designed for a breeze.

Given the design trade offs, personally I would rather have proper ventilation than broken or sub par AC. Since we know the cabin air volume is relatively small vs the size of the open door and the limited size for a cooling unit, and the doors open every 5 minutes or so, I'm not sure an AC system could ever cool enough to be more than sub par even when working optimally.

There will be no AC. Each leg is pretty short and the doors are wide open the whole time the gondola is in the station. It is an unnecessary expense. The Maxwell Ultracap powered AC system on the Emirates Air Line in London is not working well at all.

Little Green Men

well I have (from boston) and the only thing that makes the monorail better than the T is the appearance of the exterior. being crammed on them hoping they don't overshoot the station or get stuck on the beam. (reliability rivals the purple line in winter) and they are disgusting considering they are owned and operated by a multi billion dollar company with all the means to repair and update much more often. I shouldn't be able to draw any conclusions about the monorail being like a public transit system that is a underfunded profit loss generating beurocracy.

but your right there not quite as bad but there pretty Damn close. should be much more like Tokyo's.
I haven't used the T in about a decade but when I rode it, it wasn't even close to being as nice as the monorail interior.

raymusiccity

336 pages and people are still bringing up AC?!?? 50 pages after it's finally open people will be asking if it's going to retrofitted.

Where there's a will there's a way to retrofit anything! I have a sneaking suspicion that this photo was taken in Alabama!
IMG_2246.JPG

GCTales

I don't really talk to my staff about their lives.
<shocked indignation>You talk tou your staff?!?!? AND give them vacation??!?! AND pay them enough that they can afford to go to Disney?!?!? </shocked indignation >

What sort of elite bourgeoisie are you?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Back on topic...

Turning station construction in the BoardWalk Inn parking lot...

This is from the lot looking west toward the Swolphin...

upload_2017-12-5_1-23-38.png

And this is the southwest corner looking north toward BoardWalk Inn and Epcot's France's Eiffel Tower.

upload_2017-12-5_1-25-23.png

You can hear the pile driver driving piles during the day from the BoardWalk Inn bus stop.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom