News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jbolen2

They were needed years ago!

I agree with that 110%, being a camper at fort wilderness for 25+ years. Each trip it takes a little longer and has more transportation delays. You can just tell it’s maxed out and needs help.

I just wonder when this next other form will start getting serious in talks?

c-one

Doubt it.

The entire line would need to be completed to open the main hub as that is the convergence point for all three lines.

IIRC the CB hub us one building. If it were 3 seperate building, they might be able to do it, but I don't see the logic / benefit of a staged opening.
Could it be one building but housing separate turnaround wheels for each of the gondola lines? I've not paid close enough attention to this project to know, but multi-stage lifts similar to this in the ski world operate one segment at a time if built to do so. I think it's a possible option but I agree that I'm not sure if there's a good reason to do so.

Rob562

I wonder if there is any potential to open sections earlier. Say from Pop/Art to The CB hub and from that hub to HS.

I have no info, but the only situation I could see them doing a "partial system opening" would be if the system is ready to go but Riviera isn't open to Guests yet. In that case it would simply be a matter of staffing the station to keep people in the gondola cars as they roll through the station on their way to/from Epcot.

(Though come to think of it, the Riviera station would be the likely use point for guests in the northern buildings of Aruba at CBR, so perhaps they'd open that station anyway, it just wouldn't have many guests using it.)

-Rob

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
(Though come to think of it, the Riviera station would be the likely use point for guests in the northern buildings of Aruba at CBR, so perhaps they'd open that station anyway, it just wouldn't have many guests using it.)

The permit plans, as much as I'm able to decipher them, seem to indicate that that is the case.

mmascari

No but there would be no point allowing people to board if they are just going to pile up at a transfer point so they would cut off boarding. Like with the monorail, if it goes down you are directed to buses or for the ring route you take the ferry.

It's not like the monorail though, where a stopped train blocks the entire line.

It really is 3 separate lines. Although the POP/CBR line by itself has very limited utility (almost none).

It's probably important to separate initial opening vs a long maintenance vs a temporary stoppage.

For the initial opening, I would assume they'll wait until all the larger work in the CBR hub is done or until it's all done. It's much easier to do that construction without trying to have passengers nearby on other lines. But, it's possible they could open the CBR/HS line first, followed by the POP/CBR line. That order would let them eliminate buses on specific legs prior to the new hotel being done.

For long maintenance on just one line, the others should be able to run just fine. Depending on which line is down, there may be less utility in the other lines. But, it's still less buses to back fill while the work is being done.

For a short temporary stoppage, I would expect the rest to stay open. The non stopped lines still have enough utility and the stations should be able to hold any short build up for the missing line over the very short period.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's not like the monorail though, where a stopped train blocks the entire line.

It really is 3 separate lines. Although the POP/CBR line by itself has very limited utility (almost none).

It's probably important to separate initial opening vs a long maintenance vs a temporary stoppage.

For the initial opening, I would assume they'll wait until all the larger work in the CBR hub is done or until it's all done. It's much easier to do that construction without trying to have passengers nearby on other lines. But, it's possible they could open the CBR/HS line first, followed by the POP/CBR line. That order would let them eliminate buses on specific legs prior to the new hotel being done.

For long maintenance on just one line, the others should be able to run just fine. Depending on which line is down, there may be less utility in the other lines. But, it's still less buses to back fill while the work is being done.

For a short temporary stoppage, I would expect the rest to stay open. The non stopped lines still have enough utility and the stations should be able to hold any short build up for the missing line over the very short period.

The last step in the construction is to pull the cables. I am not sure if it's feasible to be pulling cables while guests are using other lines in the hub.

mmascari

The last step in the construction is to pull the cables. I am not sure if it's feasible to be pulling cables while guests are using other lines in the hub.

Agree, I also would assume it's not possible. I don't care how much barrier you have between the pulling operation and someone standing near by, if the cable had an installation issue and whips off, it's not going to be enough protection.

But, that still doesn't stop a staggered opening. It would just mean some some downtime for completing each line.

Clearly, I have no actual knowledge. Which just makes me like 90% of the rest of us. :)
They could wait until all stations are done, all poles installed, all three lines pulled, and open everything in one big bang at one time.

They could also get the CBR building, DHS station, and the CBR/DHS line done first. Have a sort of "soft open" of just that line while the other stations and towers are all completed. Shut down and fall back to buses for a few days to string the POB/CBR line, and then soft open it too. Finally repeat the shutdown when they string the final EPCOT/CBR line.

That kind of staggered opening would let them work on procedures. Maybe even keeping the buses running at the same time, hence the "soft open". To me, the longest parts in the time line are the hotel station, since it's dependent on the new hotel work. And, stringing each line, since this probably needs large areas closed off while it's in process of being pulled. I'm imaging that they close down roads the line crosses and do not have guests in any rooms the line passes near. Probably creates havoc just getting to the rooms by road if you have to navigate around the line path during the actual installation time.

That kind of staggered installation would give them practice on the logistics starting with the easier areas, based on looking at a map. They could still install in this order and not actually open anything either until it's all done.

It's all just a guess. But, it's not technically impossible to open in stages.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Agree, I also would assume it's not possible. I don't care how much barrier you have between the pulling operation and someone standing near by, if the cable had an installation issue and whips off, it's not going to be enough protection.

But, that still doesn't stop a staggered opening. It would just mean some some downtime for completing each line.

Clearly, I have no actual knowledge. Which just makes me like 90% of the rest of us. :)
They could wait until all stations are done, all poles installed, all three lines pulled, and open everything in one big bang at one time.

They could also get the CBR building, DHS station, and the CBR/DHS line done first. Have a sort of "soft open" of just that line while the other stations and towers are all completed. Shut down and fall back to buses for a few days to string the POB/CBR line, and then soft open it too. Finally repeat the shutdown when they string the final EPCOT/CBR line.

That kind of staggered opening would let them work on procedures. Maybe even keeping the buses running at the same time, hence the "soft open". To me, the longest parts in the time line are the hotel station, since it's dependent on the new hotel work. And, stringing each line, since this probably needs large areas closed off while it's in process of being pulled. I'm imaging that they close down roads the line crosses and do not have guests in any rooms the line passes near. Probably creates havoc just getting to the rooms by road if you have to navigate around the line path during the actual installation time.

That kind of staggered installation would give them practice on the logistics starting with the easier areas, based on looking at a map. They could still install in this order and not actually open anything either until it's all done.

It's all just a guess. But, it's not technically impossible to open in stages.

I think once equipment installation starts they are going to want to get it all done. I am assuming at this point that they are going to shoot for next winter for the equipment install so they can take advantage of the gondola companies "off season".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Survey markers for a tower on the edge of the Gateway waterway:

45682DD9-4F94-4307-8966-A9B6ED50B482.jpeg

Goofyernmost

There has never been a monorail cabin that I have stepped into in the last 5+ years that didn't smell exactly like the inside of a livestock barn.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... a statement like that can only come from two places. Either someone that has never actually been in a livestock barn, or from someone that works in one and his/her clothing has absorbed the odor and that is what they are smelling. Your choice!

Goofyernmost

The odor that bugs me on the monorails is that musty diaper smell that seems to be ever present. But I still love riding them and we often do the trip to Epcot just to look for deer and bunnies.
I give up... you're right the place smells just like a diaper pail or a livestock barn. What's the use of trying to instill a little reality into this conversation. I have been in and experienced both of those things plus had the joyous job of emptying the cut in half 55 gal drums used to catch 'stuff' in outhouses in Vietnam. I know your nostrils are super sensitive (even though I'm not sure why so many can't even figure out when you need deodorant) so go about your delusion and tell everyone you know just how terrible it is. Don't forget to keep expanding on just how awful it is every time you tell someone. That is what makes this stuff interesting.

bclane

I give up... you're right the place smells just like a diaper pail or a livestock barn. What's the use of trying to instill a little reality into this conversation. I have been in and experienced both of those things plus had the joyous job of emptying the cut in half 55 gal drums used to catch 'stuff' in outhouses in Vietnam. I know your nostrils are super sensitive (even though I'm not sure why so many can't even figure out when you need deodorant) so go about your delusion and tell everyone you know just how terrible it is. Don't forget to keep expanding on just how awful it is every time you tell someone. That is what makes this stuff interesting.
Did you really just go back and dig up a post of mine from 3 weeks ago, and then call me delusional and tell me not to forget to keep expanding on how awful it is every time I tell someone? Are you drunk? LOL! What the heck!?

Edit: for the record, I made one comment about the odor on the monorails and that was like 12 pages ago. One. You clearly must have be confused with someone else....but I still don’t get why you go back 3 weeks to quote me and then go off as if i’ve been harping on the issue this whole time. It makes no sense.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom