1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

A valid point. They could probably buy 100 busses for the same price, but they would also need to pay hundreds of drivers plus the cost of fuel. I'm way out of my league here in even guessing what it costs to operate and maintain a gondola system, but my guess is it would be much less than a series of buses. It also provides a more novel form of transportation.

2. SteveAZee

SteveAZee Well-Known Member

Hmm, too bad that it seems a little convoluted to get from Epcot to the Studios.

3. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Strange it isnt connected to the Ticket and Transportation Center, I understand the TTC isnt really in a good spot due to its distance from other parks, but would really be a nice addition to it. Is it possible they are planning on building a Transport Hub (AKA TTC 2.0) that's for the other 3 parks while TTC could mainly be used for MK?

4. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

5. Marc Davis Fan

Marc Davis Fan Well-Known Member

Slightlines: Disney, if you build a gondola system, please be careful to ensure that it's not visible from inside of the parks. Thank you. (Others have rightly expressed similar concern about backstage views from said gondalas.)

That said, I welcome the idea of more non-bus transportation, if it's done well. The buses are the one aspect of WDW that really take me out of the experience of feeling that I'm "in another world."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. roj2323

roj2323 Premium Member

Transportation perhaps, but Gondolas? Really that's what we're going with? It doesn't make and sense either from cost or capacity perspectives. What ever this is it will have a track based system of one kind or another.

7. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Nope. :)

brb1006, George, DDLand and 1 other person like this.
  8. FigmentFan3

FigmentFan3 Well-Known Member

This may have been considered already by those height testing balloons from Fantasia Gardens a while back.

9. GoofGoof

A ground level standard light rail track type system would likely be cheaper but an elevated system would likely be just as expensive or more since the supports would have to be larger to hold both the train and the tracks themselves. The stations would likely need to be elevated too so you have the cost of elevators and building the stations up.

A ground level rail system would be the most practical answer, but the diagram posted would need to be altered where it crosses parking lots and roads.

IAmFloridaBorn likes this.
  10. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Couldn't it also be a transportation system that goes underground like a subway?

11. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

in Florida swampland?

Courtney6682, Facu474, |Q| and 12 others like this.
  12. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

There's already a boat to do that

13. GoofGoof

The first problem would be this:
    Even if they could it still has to cross the canal around EPCOT and at least 1 roadway. That would make it cost prohibitive to build as an underground system. A ground level system could cross the roadway with railroad crossing lights and a small bridge over the canal. The easiest to get over things would be an elevated system.

doctornick likes this.
  14. GoofGoof

Well, technically there's also already a bus to get from these resorts to the parks;)

Tori, Princess Leia and TiggerDad like this.
  15. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

Why not? Seems like the capacity could actually be pretty high.

I would assume gondolas would be individually motorized as opposed to being attached to a constantly moving line, right? The latter would have higher capacity, but would make load/unload more difficult especially since these would have to be large enough for a number of people as well as strollers, wheelchairs, etc.

Edit: in searching the web, I found this article from 2013 that proposed a gondola system for WDW. It suggests they have a "high capacity moving over 10,000 people an hour"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  16. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

And it's not like having multiple forms of transport for the same route is unheard of at WDW (i.e. T&TC to MK).

17. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Between boat, gondola, and bus, the fastest way to go between Epcot and DHS is on foot.

18. HauntedPirate

HauntedPirate Premium Member

This is... an interesting possibility. It would have to be elevated from a practicality standpoint - too many obstacles to build around otherwise. But I'm still trying to figure out the "Why?" part of the equation.

19. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

WDW are challenging themselves to create a ride that's so difficult to evacuate people off of that they can't even do it.They've been really bored since none of the cruise ships have gone adrift yet.

20. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member