1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. articos

articos Well-Known Member

Seconded. Those garages are there to stay.

David2319, Rteetz, GoofGoof and 2 others like this.
  2. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

This seems far more likely the reason.
    Assuming the rumor is true and there is a component of CBR converting to DVC and given the history of DVC announcements, they probably won't announce changes to CBR until after the sales at the new DVC at WL are further along. DVC never wants to hurt sales of currently available resorts by announcing new resorts too early. They don't want potential buyers deciding to wait for the next resort instead of buying the current one. It would be like Apple announcing the details of the IPhone 8 right after the 7 was released. I would guess we might be 6 months to a year away from a formal announcement unless they just announce changes to CBR hotel without mentioning DVC.

TeriofTerror likes this.
  3. pixargal

pixargal Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Thank you for easing my mind, the clown ties in nicely with the creepy clown from the slide.

4. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

Yes...the one from the Steven King book that kills children. If that clown is anywhere near the gondolas I'm walking to DHS and EPCOT.

Fantasmicguy likes this.
  5. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

It is true.

6. Flalex72

Flalex72 Active Member

"The roof was more curved, it was more open-wall," pretty much describes an off-the-shelf gondola station these days. Unfortunately that means that even with some wrought iron accessories, the stations, especially at EPCOT, aren't going to blend into the surroundings very well.

bhg469 likes this.
  7. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

You can spread a lot of schmaltz on the outside of the building to let it blend in. Look how they did the Fantasyland station all those years ago.

8. Pam Hates Penguins

Pam Hates Penguins Well-Known Member

D23 announcement sounds about right.

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Well-Known Member

Not sure what your point is. Staying onsite benefits the companies much more than the guests.

My point wasn't that onsite transportation isn't important - its that the average fan won't care about an announcement regarding it.

10. Lift Blog

Lift Blog Well-Known Member

If Doppelmayr, they will be a variation of this:
    [​IMG]
    If Leitner-Poma, this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  11. Progress.City

Progress.City Well-Known Member

Hey, we have systems like these in Israel (where I am currently residing). I know of at least two - one in Haifa and one at Masada. The Masada one is out in the middle of nowhere and would be too expensive for me to go joyriding on, but the one in Haifa is like an hour from me by train. If you all would like, I could go to the one in Haifa and find out about all the details on its efficiency, take pics and videos, etc. If I get enough people here liking this message, I'll go ahead and do this on a day a have off from work. Just tell me things I should look for and questions for me to answer for when I go.

12. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

You can put whatever shell you want those stations. I would expect in FL it won't be a glass roof.

13. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Temper your expectations.

David2319, jt04 and MisterPenguin like this.
  14. Lift Blog

Lift Blog Well-Known Member

Doppelmayr also offers this lower-profile version without glass for non-drive stations. Sure, Disney could design their own enclosures but we're talking major $$$. I can think of only two modern gondola lifts in North America without standard terminals. Custom colors are as far as most ski resorts go.
    [​IMG]

This is what a terminal inside a building looks like. Keep in mind mid-stations are twice as long as this end station.
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't surprise me if the end terminals are inside larger buildings but the angle stations end up standing alone.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    BPL, David2319, COProgressFan and 6 others like this.
  15. ev01

ev01 Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  16. Skyman1971

Skyman1971 Member

I honestly expect them to construct some sort of themed building (at least for all loading and unloading areas that these machines will operate out of). I highly doubt they are going to happy with a standard outdoor station. I have seen several examples of lifts running out of various building types so I'm sure that's not an issue, and being Disney I don't think the money will matter either.

FerretAfros and jt04 like this.
  17. BEARSHOUSE4

BEARSHOUSE4 Well-Known Member

Josh Harris and jt04 like this.
  18. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

While we see cool gondolas gliding through nature, I get the feeling those tigers only see pinatas.

19. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

All the "standard" stations seem to be designed to shed snow so I expect this installation to have something very different unless they were to put a station in tomorrowland. I appreciate all the information you provide this thread, beats guesses and conjecture from people that really don't know squat about the subject.

David2319, Lift Blog and Grimley1968 like this.
  20. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

I imagine the stations will be nicely done...not utilitarian... Like the giant leaf structure they did for the Disneyland Monorail station when they rebuilt it. I know they are cheap at times, but I can't imagine them not spending a little money to make the stations look impressive or at the least, unique.