News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

SirWillow

Yeah I guess that could mean that it may open in August after months of testing with cast members being the first to ride...

View attachment 365901

That "months around the clock" includes the current testing that they are already doing. When they feel confident in the process of testing- which is already in progress- to allow people on, then cast members will be the first ones. Essentially it'll be a cast preview that will give the workers an opportunity to work with people in the loading/ unloading process.

Once they've felt they've gone through that process enough- likely 2-4 weeks or something like that- which is one part of that months long testing process- then they'll open it up for public previews just before it's full public opening.

GCTales

Most people actually stopped posting 6 months ago, a machine learning algorithm now generates most of the posts in this thread. ;)
Most people actually stopped posting 6 months ago, a machine learning algorithm now generates most of the posts in this thread. ;)
Dang it!! Server went and got stuck. Can someone go reboot the Dan-bot 2000?

bcoachable

This thread has really gone to the dogs...

Thebolt

r.e. bus provision once this is open.

Disney constantly messes with the bus offering, especially for the water parks.
Even if the routes are retained initially, they will be under review once they can see guest demand and judge those feedback forms. Bus returns from Epcot will retain some demand, as its arguably shorter from FW to go to the bus station. The internal bus system at CBR is going to be much busier, as the gondolas don't stop at each island, so more guests will use the bus.

(PS: will the Riviera completion see the road at CBR become a loop again? The current bus u-turn and 4 terminuses at the dead ends is inefficient and looks a pain for the drivers to traverse).

mm121

So Disney Food Blog’s article mentions that only 22 of the 300 gondolas will have character decals... that is a lot less than I thought.
That's hardly any. Hope they add more.
I am sure many more will get decals to advertise new movies and whatnot.
Hopefully unlike when they theme the monorail when they want to add new characters they will just add new ones instead of just changing out existing characters.

bUU

How long will it take before the first gondola is singed by lightning?
I suspect it'll happen just as much as elevated monorails and the old Magic Kingdom gondolas got singed.

So we can't even speculate now? What's the point of having a discussion board if not to speculate?
I think Mom's comment is just a reaction to just how irresponsibly over-the-top alarmist some of the uninformed comments are.

They aren't.
No more so than your family car in an electrical storm.

I posted this a couple of hundred pages back, but the concern over having to shut down for your typical central Florida thunderstorms and wind is way, way overblown (even though you see doom and gloom comments every few pages confidently stating that they will cause shutdowns and leave people stranded daily!).
Someone should keep a list of the predictions and who made them and then repost that list to the thread a few months after the gondolas go live.

Studies have been thoroughly conducted on the impact of the weather in the area
But of course science is nonsense. /sarc

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
That "months around the clock" includes the current testing that they are already doing. When they feel confident in the process of testing- which is already in progress- to allow people on, then cast members will be the first ones. Essentially it'll be a cast preview that will give the workers an opportunity to work with people in the loading/ unloading process.

Once they've felt they've gone through that process enough- likely 2-4 weeks or something like that- which is one part of that months long testing process- then they'll open it up for public previews just before it's full public opening.

… but the current testing isn't happening "around the clock".

ImperfectPixie

I believe what they meant was 22 character designs and they will just repeat.
I think you're right, @csmat99 - it just doesn't make sense to only have decals on 22 out of 300 gondolas...that would be an easy wording error to make.
Why would they not just decal them all

Even when dealing with a high volume of wraps, they still have to be applied, and wrapping anything can be a tedious process. You have to measure and position the graphic, remove the backer, lay the graphic down, squeegee out any bubbles (and if you didn't use fluid getting those out is a pain, but if you use fluid on glass, you have to use heat to speed the evaporation process), then trim and tuck it around any changes/breaks in the surface. Sometimes - depending on how much of the graphic you need to wrap around edges - it requires multiple prints of the same part of the image in order to create the "continuous image" illusion. When wrapping a car, it's very common to remove door handles, 3D logos, sometimes even the hood, doors and trunk to make the actual wrapping part easier. Then you've got to take into account how long a typical wrap lasts...where these aren't seeing road traffic like a car would but are in the sun constantly, my guess would be in the range of 4-7 years depending on the material they used and fade rate, and at the end of the life-span you've got to remove the graphic and adhesive (an even more tedious process) and prep the surface to either be repainted or have another graphic applied.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
...Then you've got to take into account how long a typical wrap lasts...where these aren't seeing road traffic like a car would but are in the sun constantly, my guess would be in the range of 4-7 years depending on the material they used and fade rate, and at the end of the life-span you've got to remove the graphic and adhesive (an even more tedious process) and prep the surface to either be repainted or have another graphic applied.
Or, if you're a rich corporation with lots of money to throw at a transportation solution, you can just buy 22 new gondolas and have your subs wrap them for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom