News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lensman

If you're a party of two and it's peak time, you're sharing. Period. That's the way of theme parks and public transportation. If one doesn't want that, then you don't go on the Wizarding World Train, or Kali raft, or monorail.

Just like we tell people who can't imagine riding in the Skyliner because there's no A/C or because it's too high and they're afraid of heights that they have options, namely...
  • don't stay at a Skyliner resort,
  • use your own vehicle,
  • or do bus transfers.
The same with sharing a cabin. You have the same options. The whole system isn't going to change because of personal preferences.

Sharing is happening. If you don't like it and you want to say so, go ahead. If you've already done so, stop repeating yourself please. If you think you can argue WDW against doing it, then you need to be writing to WDW and not arguing for pages worth here.

Thanks.
The antisocial (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that) can always wait until the rush is over, too. Though at park closing that may mean waiting for a while. Or you could leave early and try to beat the rush. Minnie van is also an option, too! Note that if you use your own vehicle, you may have to share some seating on the parking tram. Oh, and I'm not sure if the bus lets you sufficiently avoid the unwashed masses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to mention that the peak isn't going to seem like a peak. At it's slowest, the system is sending out 40 people per minute.

So, imagine you left DHS right after Fantasmic! And you go to the buses and the last three bus stations are for Pop, AoA, and CBR. You don't see a thousand people suddenly show up all at once for those three stops. You see people trickle in. Imagine 40 people leaving those three stops every minute. There ain't going to be much of a line and ain't much of a reason to pack the gondolas except maybe for a 30 minute ultimate peakness period.

DisneyCane

I'm trying to resist but have to do it. What is the difference between sharing a gondola cabin with strangers vs. being crammed into a monorail car with a bunch of strangers? Since the gondola won't have people standing I'd think it would be more pleasant.

As far as sitting across from strangers, you sit there and either look at each other or you look down at the floor or you talk to somebody in your party.

I think that anybody that has not ridden in a gondola at a ski resort (where they are most likely to operate similar to WDW as far as crowd peaks/lulls) should not speculate on crazy issues.

The ONLY possible real issue is comfort with no AC. However, until people ride it at 1PM in the middle of august, nobody will actually know what it is like.

bUU

I'd be utterly shocked if they did not combined parties during peak usage times. That would be counter how Disney always operates with transportation and would defeat the point of developing the system if they aren't going to fully utilize it.
Correct. While I understand the wishful thinking, expecting single-party gondolas is like expecting a seat in every bus you take, and no one's, uh, body sixteen inches in front of your your face.

wdizneew

The gondolas weren't moving when I took this pic on Tuesday (2/26), but this gives you an idea what the new WDW skyline will be like when the Skyliner opens.

Here's a panoramic view of the current state of the Skyliner at Pop Century. Taken Wednesday (2/27).

Also, they've been testing the DHS <-> Caribbean Beach line in the mornings all week at full speed. It was interesting to see that in motion as I was driving by.

skyphotographer

The gondolas weren't moving when I took this pic on Tuesday (2/26), but this gives you an idea what the new WDW skyline will be like when the Skyliner opens.
View attachment 353189

Here's a panoramic view of the current state of the Skyliner at Pop Century. Taken Wednesday (2/27).
View attachment 353190

Also, they've been testing the DHS <-> Caribbean Beach line in the mornings all week at full speed. It was interesting to see that in motion as I was driving by.

Looks like a bunch of big party lights.

trainplane3

View attachment 353189

View attachment 353190

While the towers are ugly to most (I'm a weirdo that likes mechanical things...), the nice movement the cabins add to the area should be a big plus.

Doug Means

I'm trying to resist but have to do it. What is the difference between sharing a gondola cabin with strangers vs. being crammed into a monorail car with a bunch of strangers? Since the gondola won't have people standing I'd think it would be more pleasant.

As far as sitting across from strangers, you sit there and either look at each other or you look down at the floor or you talk to somebody in your party.

I think that anybody that has not ridden in a gondola at a ski resort (where they are most likely to operate similar to WDW as far as crowd peaks/lulls) should not speculate on crazy issues.

The ONLY possible real issue is comfort with no AC. However, until people ride it at 1PM in the middle of august, nobody will actually know what it is like.
my wife will look forward to sharing with strangers. she loves to talk to new people

joelkfla

Passport to the Parks is online - cabins are running 10 seconds apart. Looks like they can't get any closer together in the station, so any improvement would have to be a speed increase.

iowamomof4

This probably has been discussed but since this looks so...operational are we sure this system isn't going to be open sooner then expected?
Well, they're ONLY doing all this testing on one of the three lines. Sounds like they'll move on to testing the other lines one at a time (guessing Pop/Aoa to CBR will be next) and while they are testing the other lines we won't see much if any movement on the DHS line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom