News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
After this...

Bad assumption -- a packed bus is nowhere near 112 passengers. It's somewhere between 60 & 80, depending on how packed.

Unless you're talking about the 60' artics, of which Disney has only 12 and last I heard no plans to acquire any more.

I updated my post to this...
OK then, from what we're seeing, that's a packed bus every 3.3 minutes.

Which used the 80 per bus. But, it wasn't clear, so I edited to make that clear.

Its a lot high.
But even with that number it shows how insane the Skyliner capacity is. At open/close you might get two buses back to back, so it would be able to match the Skyliner for 9 minutes using that inflated number. How often would you get buses 3 in 13 minutes, or 4 in 18? Almost never. And the Skyliner just does that all the time.
Just for accuracy's sake a packed bus will not hold 120 people two might, but, not one. A little over 60 perhaps and if one is interested in lawsuits maybe up to 80. More then that would cause an orgy. I don't think that they have a large number of articulating double decker buses, so they really cannot be considered in comparison. Perhaps at the most generous it might carry 80 during a rush. On top of that it would take more then 4.5 minutes just to fill one that full if everyone was ambulatory. That would mean that they were bumper to bumper. So, that ain't gonna happen either.
AND there is not a bus on property that holds that many. Even the stretched busses the flex do not hold 112. the Standard Nova, and Gillig busses are not anywhere near 112.

Disone

Bad assumption -- a packed bus is nowhere near 112 passengers. It's somewhere between 60 & 80, depending on how packed.

Unless you're talking about the 60' artics, of which Disney has only 12 and last I heard no plans to acquire any more.
This question may be slightly off topic but they only have 12 articulated buses? I feel like I see too many of them everywhere I drive on property for them to only have 12. They only have 12 monorails and they're on a set route. The buses can go just about anywhere and everywhere I drive on property I do see them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still want to see how much holding pen capacity there really is at the DHS station... that sure looks to me like overflow out to the approaching sidewalks. Would love to see it more in scale...

joelkfla

This question may be slightly off topic but they only have 12 articulated buses? I feel like I see too many of them everywhere I drive on property for them to only have 12. They only have 12 monorails and they're on a set route. The buses can go just about anywhere and everywhere I drive on property I do see them.
Yes, 6 New Flyers and 6 Novas, IIRC. At the time, MK was the only hub that could handle them, and load zones at most resorts weren't long enough. One load zone each at Pop and at AoA was modified, and some load zones at CBR & PO were lengthened. Management decided the buses weren't worth the extra cost and fuel, especially during midday.

Since then, a few new load zones at DS and AK, and soon at DHS, have been built to accommodate them, but drivers I've spoken to say they hadn't heard of any plans to acquire more.

DisneyCane

Interesting to note that the doors don't close before the turnaround, which means as we guessed you won't be able to stay on.

They will just have to have cast members making sure people get out in the same way they would on Haunted Mansion or any other ride with separate load and unload.

Where along the line are you referring to and what video (if there is one)? I'm trying to picture what your comment is about.

Grimley1968

I don't know if the rope is going faster than it normally would in regular operation, or if the lack of weight inside the cabins makes a difference, but I'm surprised at the degree to which the cabins lean forward when reattaching to the rope in that Blog Mickey video. That looks like a bit of a jolt.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know if the rope is going faster than it normally would in regular operation, or if the lack of weight inside the cabins makes a difference, but I'm surprised at the degree to which the cabins lean forward when reattaching to the rope in that Blog Mickey video. That looks like a bit of a jolt.

I believe that is wholly intentional to make it so guests feel pressed DOWN in their seats more than thrown from their seats. 10+ to 0 is quite a rapid deceleration... especially if you are not holding onto something.

By tilting the cabin you direct more of that decelleration down instead of just laterally.

joelkfla

If look at the videos of the comparable La Paz Bolivia Mi Teleferico, it's about the same. In some of the POV videos, you even hear the riders exclaim "Whee!" when the cabin takes off. :)

I'm impressed that there's virtually no residual swing, though. When the cabins return to vertical, they stay there.

Doug Means

Hey:
I've missed about 50 pages of this thread, I just can't keep up.

Can someone give me a synopsis in 300 words or less of whats been said?

thanks in advance

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom