News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Nubs70

I can say the Hollywood Studios depot is nowhere near done with quite a bit of exterior structure still needing completion. There is still exposed steel framing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't forget that as far as vacation destinations are concerned, "the Fall", is usually Labor Day (usually first weekend in September). So, Disney may be meaning "by Sept 1" and not "middle of October."

carnini

After looking at several of these pictures, I do not see any indication that hints at expanding this system to say Springs or AK. Does anyone know if there are plans on the table to do that in the future?
I though at one point I saw a map where it showed the current planned route but also Phase 2 ideas of where to connect to other places. Doubt it was official but sure made sense if phase one is a sucess.

Dunston

I was really hoping we would get to use these during our trip May 11-May 21, but I guess it's looking like we'll miss out. Darn. I'll be pretty irritated if everything is complete and they're just holding off on opening up for some artificial reason.
You might get lucky. Keep checking.
I had resigned to acceptance that we won't be riding the Skyliner during our May 21-26 trip, but every time I catch up on this thread my hopes are either squashed or raised. Staying very cautiously optimistic...;)

Patcheslee

Someone with more know may be able to answer. Do they have to put a few gondolas on one at a time and run them? Seems like putting them all on at once would stress the wire vs a bit at a time.

Last edited:

Lord Pheonix

think about that for 1 second. if putting them all on empty would stress the wire, what do you think will happen when they are all on the line loaded with people?
(sigh....)

DisneyCane

Someone with more know may be able to answer. Do they have to put a few gondolas on one at a time and run them? Seems like putting them all on at once would stress the wire vs a bit at a time.
They always go on one at a time when the grip attaches to the haul rope. I know that isn't what you meant. You don't need to "break in" a steel cable.

Creathir

I believe you’re asking if they need to run just a few, and from what it appears, they do indeed do that for testing clearances and alignment of the haul cable between towers/stations.

As others have mentioned, when they actually load the gondolas on the cable for operational use, they will just put them on as needed.

The loads these cables can handle are extremely high, with the combined gondola weight being quite easy for it to handle without overstressing it.

Check out LiftBlog site:

TONS of facinating information can be found about these systems work. You can tell Peter really is quite passionate about lift systems by perusing his work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom