News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With all due respect to your math skills, your formula does not in fact work for the extreme examples of velocity = 0 or velocity is infinite. We are dealing in real numbers here, and you can't divide by zero. A rope moving infinitely fast is not possible in the real world. So can we focus on non-extreme numbers?

I've used both extreme examples to get a point across, and I also you real world terminology saying "faster" and "slower". Those aren't extreme terms.

Besides, yes, you can divide by zero in some math systems by evaluating the result as the denominator approaches zero. As velocity approaches zero for smaller and smaller numbers, the arrival rate (which is also the dispatch rate) which is the time you're waiting for the next gondola gets larger and larger approaching infinity, which means you're waiting forever for a gondola to come or go, which is what you expect when the velocity reaches zero.

So, let's use an example base on non-extreme numbers: If the velocity is doubled, everything is moving twice as fast and the dispatch time interval is now half what it was.

The number of cabins in the station does not affect PPH as long as there are enough to keep launching on regular intervals.

That is wrong. And the reasoning for that is all laid out in my previous post that I quoted a few posts above. As a gondola arrives at a station it has to wait in turn to go out again. More cabins in the stations means a longer wait. The complete circuit of a cabin takes longer and that lowers PPH.

You really need to read that post carefully step by step to break through the false assumptions you're making about rates of discrete objects.

Did you have any issues with my math? dispatch interval and people per cabin are sufficient to calculate PPH.

As @flynnibus points out above, dispatch rate depends on rope velocity. But you keep saying velocity doesn't matter. It does to dispatch rate.

Creathir

OT time out

MUCH nice looking towers than the power line structures strung up all over the eastern half of the property.

I wish Disney had sprung the extra $$$ to design and install something futuristic looking like this for the Skyliner.

iowamomof4

I still can't believe we're actually 7 freaking months away from this thing carrying guests. Is whatever they're going to do to the IG the real hold-up now?

ABQ

So gondola towers don't just have to be galvanized steel? How interesting.

Also, a tip of the cap for the archdaily link.
Gorgeous system for sure....however, will it actually get people to go to A's games? Is the Colosseum entirely to blame?

kurtk

Real IG work should start soon.
IG work? Not sure what that means.

Blog Mickey had a video of an actual gondola traveling to HS. I think my original assumption is correct. It is not the ride system that is holding up the opening but the construction of the stations.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
IG work? Not sure what that means.

Blog Mickey had a video of an actual gondola traveling to HS. I think my original assumption is correct. It is not the ride system that is holding up the opening but the construction of the stations.

It's been pretty clear for a while that it wouldn't be the actual mechanics of the ride system that held things up. They are going to want that wrapped up before the ski season ends. The stations also don't have that much longer to go, maybe two more months. There is still the question of when they will receive the rest of the cars, last we saw there were still only a small number on site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom