News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Ive always wondered why they don't just start running the monorails the opposite direction...Then they could switch the load platforms around and security could stay exactly where it is and not require double screening. Must be some reason...
Probably because it was designed to be a "grand reveal" of Future World. If you did the reverse course, it would become the "hey you were just here but let's show it to you again along with telling you about what you have just done (or walked past)" ;)

I would just push all screenings out (buses screened in between the long walk to epcot and bus stop, trams screened in front of epcot, and monorail already screened.)

seascape

They are building a new bridge at Epcot from the monorail station passed the security into Epcot. This eliminating the double screenings. Again look at HS. The busses are passed the skyline, thus it could easily be in the security zone. The boat could be if they wanted to put screening at the resort docks and have it inside the International Gateway Security zone. In fact if you look at the construction being done right now at HS it is actually easier than the Epcot area. As for security at the resorts for the skyline we have no way of knowing what is or isn't bring done because it's all behind fences and not finished yet.

mmssbrg2

Ive always wondered why they don't just start running the monorails the opposite direction...Then they could switch the load platforms around and security could stay exactly where it is and not require double screening. Must be some reason...
The direction of the monorail wouldn't have any impact on which platform is used for loading and which is used for unloading, would it? Couldn't they just switch around the platforms and keep the direction of the monorail the same?

joelkfla

It doesn't matter which direction the trains run. There's a single running beam thru the station with platforms on both sides. They could reverse the loading and unloading without changing the direction.

But then they'd need an additional bag check either at the new entrance to the monorail or at the exit to TTC, since all of TTC is within the bubble. No real gain for moving all the queues and gates, and another bag check to staff.

seascape

It doesn't matter which direction the trains run. There's a single running beam thru the station with platforms on both sides. They could reverse the loading and unloading without changing the direction.

But then they'd need an additional bag check either at the new entrance to the monorail or at the exit to TTC, since all of TTC is within the bubble. No real gain for moving all the queues and gates, and another bag check to staff.
The monorail station at MK is in the security zone. You can get on the monorail at Epcot leaving the park without going through security and when the bridge is done you will not need to go through security. No more double bag checks going between MK and Epcot. Then if they make the changes I think they should you will be able to go from Epcot to HS without having to go through security again. Now if they could only connect AK to HS.

Bender123

Either way, its a fairly simple move of SOMETHING...I think that's the problem I have is it would be so easy to move some card tables and tents and they just don't.

joelkfla

The monorail station at MK is in the security zone. You can get on the monorail at Epcot leaving the park without going through security and when the bridge is done you will not need to go through security. No more double bag checks going between MK and Epcot. Then if they make the changes I think they should you will be able to go from Epcot to HS without having to go through security again. Now if they could only connect AK to HS.
Yes, I was not addressing the possibility of a bridge, just reversing the load & unload. Is a bridge confirmed, or just a possibility like Mary Poppins/Brave?

Last edited:

Thebolt

Yes, I was not addressing the possibility of a bridge, just reversing the load & unload. Is a bridge confirmed, or just a possibility like Mary Poppins/Brave?

You cannot swap the stations without reversing the direction, as otherwise you have a full Monorail carriage arriving at the load station, so there isn't space for anybody to board.
Swapping Epcot around means doing the same at the other end of the line too... It wouldn't work.

seascape

I was told the work they are doing is to put a bridge over the security area into the secured area by the ticket booth. So I consider it confirmed, why else would they be building anything else by the monorail. I didn't take a picture of it when I was there on Tuesday. I was also told in November that they would fix the monorail security issue.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was told the work they are doing is to put a bridge over the security area into the secured area by the ticket booth. So I consider it confirmed, why else would they be building anything else by the monorail. I didn't take a picture of it when I was there on Tuesday. I was also told in November that they would fix the monorail security issue.

Who told you that? I haven't heard this, but it does sound reasonable.

Lift Blog

Yesterday I rode the two new direct drive lifts at Copper, the American Eagle and American Flyer. The American Eagle is the one where the gondola fell off late last year.

American Flyer just opened this month because of 'software issues' but I think it might actually have some flaws in the design itself. This lift seems to have way too much weight on the line. Apparently an issue with direct drive is that it causes 'more movement' when the lift is stopped. When the lift was stopped, near the bottom terminal chairs were rolling backwards and forwards a good 10-20 feet. At higher portions of the lift between longer tower spans, when the lift stopped the line would sag and chair would drop 10-20 feet, rebound upwards a good 10 feet and then again fall 20-30 feet, and continue to do this a few times. This happened to me twice on the chair though I was never in the middle of the towers where it was the worst. It was definitely the topic of discussion everytime I rode the chair. Someone said there was places where you could see that chairs had hit the ground, but I don't think that was true, though there was one area where the area under the chair was roped off even though we were quite a ways off the ground.

The American Eagle lift didn't seem to have this problem.

I rode the new American Flyer today. It stopped once while I was on and yes, it rolls back a bit before coming to a stop. All long and fast lifts do this. At peak load, there are 540 people on the line and you would not want that kind of weight spread over two miles to stop immediately. I did not notice any unusual bouncing or areas roped off under the lift.

Bender123

The direction of the monorail wouldn't have any impact on which platform is used for loading and which is used for unloading, would it? Couldn't they just switch around the platforms and keep the direction of the monorail the same?

Yeah...My brain just didn't consider that...derp...-50 degrees stops brain from smart making.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom