News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure, if you're in a hurry. Generally if I'm not going to the parks, and taking transportation, I'm not looking for the fastest way from A to B.
I will probably look for a way to ride the gondolas once they open just to try them out. Probably to hop between DHS and EPCOT but maybe another route too. I know I’ve been on those friendship boats a lot more times than I’ve stayed at an EPCOT resort. I’m not sure I will consistently go out of my way to ride in the future, but definitely on my first trip.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I will probably look for a way to ride the gondolas once they open just to try them out. Probably to hop between DHS and EPCOT but maybe another route too. I know I’ve been on those friendship boats a lot more times than I’ve stayed at an EPCOT resort. I’m not sure I will consistently go out of my way to ride in the future, but definitely on my first trip.

Just grab a lunch at CBR if you're ever at Epcot or waiting for them to call your number to get into DHS.

jbolen2

I would only do that if I remembered to bring my lifetime refillable mug :)

This brings up a question we had I our family. We have 4 “lifetime” mugs we bought at the fort many years back but weren’t sure if they even let you use them now with the rfid cups.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This brings up a question we had I our family. We have 4 “lifetime” mugs we bought at the fort many years back but weren’t sure if they even let you use them now with the rfid cups.
No they definitely don’t work. I was just making a joke. Lifetime refill mugs are one of the most well known Disney urban legends.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IF long lines happen, then you will definitely see efforts to reduce demand through limitations on who can ride and when. It doesn't take long to install a Magic Band reader!
Have you ever taken the Friendship boats from DHS after Fantasmic or fireworks? There are long lines waiting for the next boat and they have never inslled readers. Same goes for the monorail at either MK or EPCOT. There can be huge lines and especially on a night when Illuminations ends several hours before MK closes. Tons of people hopping to MK and most aren’t staying at a monorail resort. Again, no readers ever added. I think you over estimate Disney’s concern for guests waiting in lines.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the real issue will be capacity (and YES, I know many of you claim to have seen throughput numbers) but those of us that have used these systems at ski resorts know a few things:

1. It takes time for people to get on and off of Gondolas. Even athletic people. When you are dealing with older people, families, little kids, strollers, etc., you are going to have some very slow people taking their sweet time getting on and off. Ten second dispatch? I really really really doubt that....

2. I realize these things seat 8 people BUT they will not separate families and "grouping" will be challenging. Paired with a desire to load quickly and I think many gondolas will go out with empty seats.

At ski resorts (and people have their skis OFF before they load the Gondola) long lines, slow moving lines for these systems are COMMON. The line will only move as fast as EACH group moves. One slow group will slow down the entire line. Watch and see.

IF long lines happen, then you will definitely see efforts to reduce demand through limitations on who can ride and when. It doesn't take long to install a Magic Band reader!

Before you comment on "oh it will be the same as ever" and "there will be TONS of capacity except during very peak times" I'd ask you to comment on whether you've experienced these systems at major ski resorts where a) athletic people hop on quickly and b) far fewer people are trying to board than will be the case at Disney, and c) observed the lines....

Your experience pales in comparison to @Lift Blog's and he not only support the numbers we're throwing around, he even says they'll be higher. So, if you want a urinating contest of who knows best based on experience, trickle away.

Oh, and read the thread before you comment.

Creathir

Your experience pales in comparison to @Lift Blog's and he not only support the numbers we're throwing around, he even says they'll be higher. So, if you want a urinating contest of who knows best based on experience, trickle away.

Oh, and read the thread before you comment.

Not to disagree or even question the motives/intentions, but to be fair, LiftBlog is a sponsored publication which receives Finnancial assistance in the form of advertising from parties (manufactures) interested the promotion of gondola based transportation systems.

Not to mention, obviously they are a fan of them.

A critical viewpoint regarding the operations and drawbacks of a gondola is likely not to be found there.

It would be akin to asking me about an honest critique of a monorail (I’m a fan) or a Disney blogger to critique, honestly, whatever festival they are currently being paid to promote.

The information is likely solid, but obviously will be skewed in a predetermined fashion.

Just keep that in mind.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the real issue will be capacity (and YES, I know many of you claim to have seen throughput numbers) but those of us that have used these systems at ski resorts know a few things:

1. It takes time for people to get on and off of Gondolas. Even athletic people. When you are dealing with older people, families, little kids, strollers, etc., you are going to have some very slow people taking their sweet time getting on and off. Ten second dispatch? I really really really doubt that....

2. I realize these things seat 8 people BUT they will not separate families and "grouping" will be challenging. Paired with a desire to load quickly and I think many gondolas will go out with empty seats.

At ski resorts (and people have their skis OFF before they load the Gondola) long lines, slow moving lines for these systems are COMMON. The line will only move as fast as EACH group moves. One slow group will slow down the entire line. Watch and see.

Before you comment on "oh it will be the same as ever" and "there will be TONS of capacity except during very peak times" I'd ask you to comment on whether you've experienced these systems at major ski resorts where a) athletic people hop on quickly and b) far fewer people are trying to board than will be the case at Disney, and c) observed the lines....

Can you please at least educate yourself on the deployment before you keep beating this drum?

You address the loading problem by making the loading station bigger... and hence let the cars stay in the station longer without increasing dispatch time. Pls, we already know disney,s stations have separate loading capabilities

At wdw... people will actually be able to use their ankles... and have no gear storage.

We get it..l you believe Disney will limit access. But we already know they will not at the start... and have never done it to curtail crowds on their other systems. So you and jt can hang together with your non commital predictions and just wait a few years to find out. Until then... let’s look at the sources and actual info available... not just your concerns.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You should know better than anyone, Marni, that in the past the Transportation System was NOT considered complimentary, and in fact WDW transportation system "passes" were sold for a nominal amount... I think the passes were last sold in the 90s (despite no enforcement by bus drivers asking to see pass or room key).
I didn’t say it was. I said it’s marketed as such.

That’s why I posted this a few days ago

Attachments

• 25F78C46-2E6B-4289-9522-04DBDAC013D9.jpeg
    25F78C46-2E6B-4289-9522-04DBDAC013D9.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

1. You do realise that a dispatch of every 10 seconds doesn’t mean you’ll only have 10 seconds to load or unload?

2. There will be several gondola cabins loading at once, so this assumption just doesn’t hold up. If there really is one very slow group, others will board anyway. Only that family will be delayed.

Cosmic Commando

Yes done all of that. I think the Gondolas will be a far bigger draw than the boats and far lower capacity than the monorail. If guests paying for a resort on the Gondola find themselves waiting more than 30+ minutes for it regularly then Disney will do things to limit access, such as requiring a Magic Band linked to a hotel reservation either onsite OR at one of the hotels served by the system. Personally I hope it doesn't happen but I know how slow loading these systems can be...
If you’re waiting 30 minutes for these gondolas, there will be (possibly more than) TWO THOUSAND people in line in front of you. The gondolas will constantly be chugging along all day at roughly the bus system’s capacity at its highest. I expect they will pretty popular for park hopping between Epcot and DHS in the middle of the day; there won’t be a ton of demand from the Skyliner hotel guests at that time. I really don’t see a significant number of people bussing in from Disney Springs just to ride the Skyliner on a non-park day. If they do? The gondolas can handle it.

Ripken10

Yes, I have experience the gondolas in many locations. Most of what you say is not true. The idea of "athletic" individuals being those at ski resorts is quite a bit exaggerated. You do not need to be athletic to be a skier, and I have myself have traveled with many non athletic people as well as seen an abundance of them at ski resorts. They also have to wear a thing called ski boots, which frankly make most of those at Disney world look like athletic individuals. And at many ski resorts (I can't say all because I haven't been to them all, only to those in 5 US states) the time you have to get your skis off is limited (close to the entrance). Some are farther away, but some are quite close and it is funny watching what look like first time skiiers (and often are not) try to jump off skiis and rush onto a gondola with their more "athletic" friends. I have twice seen people try to enter a gondola with skiis on, many times seen skiers slip as they entered the gondola due to ice or issues with walking in the boots (heal walks). While I have seen many ski lifts slow down or stop, I have never seen it happen on a gondola.

Long lines are not common at gondolas, at least nothing compared to a ski lift. Gondola lines always move extremely quick. In all my time at ski resorts over the last 30+ years, I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a Gondola. I guess I must only ride the gondolas in the summer (note sarcasm).

As many have mentioned, you have a lot longer than 10 seconds to board. That comment makes me wonder if you have ever actually rode on a gondola. Or maybe you are one of those individuals that have trouble with heal walks. The two times of the day where the capacity could even be tested, they still won't have to fill to capacity each gondola ride to be able to handle the lines (and much better than both buses and monorails).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom