News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You look up ahead and see the station is on fire from the curved glass roof superheating the inside but the cable is inexorably pulling your cabin towards the inferno. What to do?
Jump into the alligator infested brain eating amoeba swamp to escape certain death?
Pray that the main drive fails and the backup fails to kick in?
Hope the Fast and Furious guys swoop in on drones so you climb up on the wire?
Sit calmly and mutter "the mouse can do no wrong, the mouse can do no wrong"?

Start singing the theme from pirates of the caribbean and drink ALL the rum fast?
What a dilemma.
images(23) (1).jpg

toolsnspools

I'm a few pages late with this, but I noticed in recent advertisements for 30% off Disney rooms, that they referred to the transportation as "complimentary". All I could think was that they were considering not-"complimentary" transportation in the near future.

Nubs70

I'm a few pages late with this, but I noticed in recent advertisements for 30% off Disney rooms, that they referred to the transportation as "complimentary". All I could think was that they were considering not-"complimentary" transportation in the near future.
Good observation.

This is preparing the masses for when they jack the room rates, eliminate the value tier of hotels, reclassify as Skyliner Resorts. Then transportation will be advertised as "Free" at Skyliner Resorts.

jt04

I think that is likely for those not staying on property. Eventually. Get those magic bands.

Not sure about APs. Probably an added charge. Also eventually.

jt04

I was thinking the same. It will probably take a Magic Band, and an active reservation to ride.

Want to bet that the new Disney Springs ticket store will sell Magic Bands that are transportation only? That way people just going to a resort to go to dinner can park in one of the garages. I think it could be what they do. This way they won't need to charge for parking.

toolsnspools

I've been there multiple times when I didn't have park passes, but took advantage of the transportation. Looks like I may need to pay for those rides in the future.

jt04

I've been there multiple times when I didn't have park passes, but took advantage of the transportation. Looks like I may need to pay for those rides in the future.

Same here. I'm sure a lot of people avoid parking at the parks this way. One reason the lots are full often. It is going to be interesting to see the changes this year.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm a few pages late with this, but I noticed in recent advertisements for 30% off Disney rooms, that they referred to the transportation as "complimentary"..
It’s nothing new. “Complimentary Transport” has been a listed perk of resorts for decades. It’s a marketing twist to suggest added value. Same way Fastpass is also often listed. It’s not a lie, nor is it the whole truth.

This system was not designed to be payable at the entrance. If management decide they aren’t wringing enough money out of guests as it is, it could happen. But it wasn’t designed nor pitched as such.

If anything, none resort guests using the system to park hop and for ADRs are part of the financials.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney has always used the word "complimentary" in their marketing, this is nothing new. Also, they have already started to offer non-complimentary transportation, Minnie Vans.

Last edited:

jt04

I'm wondering if the Skyway changes business as usual. I'm hoping not as I prefer the current system but we'll see.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm wondering if the Skyway changes business as usual. I'm hoping not as I prefer the current system but we'll see.

Just can't see any reason it would. The only time non-resort guests would use this Skyliner is to park hop during the day, and at that time it will have more then enough capacity to handle it. There is also no good reason to discourage park hopping by making it harder since Disney get's extra money from park hoppers.

toolsnspools

Just can't see any reason it would. The only time non-resort guests would use this Skyliner is to park hop during the day, and at that time it will have more then enough capacity to handle it. There is also no good reason to discourage park hopping by making it harder since Disney get's extra money from park hoppers.
If I'm visiting Disney Springs, and want to head over to the Boardwalk, you can bet that a bus to a Skyliner resort is my way to get there. :D

toolsnspools

Some people will do that, sure. You could also, you know... take a bus directly to the Boardwalk. Which is what most people in that situation would do.

I'll race you....
I'll be taking the bus directly to the Boardwalk

Sure, if you're in a hurry. Generally if I'm not going to the parks, and taking transportation, I'm not looking for the fastest way from A to B.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom