News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Jedi Stitch

I miss the old sky tram days so this will bring back some nostalgia. Here is Seattle the city leaders have been toying with a 4-5 block from the water front to the convention center.

roj2323

Complements of https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

DMs518jUQAAMoQW.jpg
DMs7ZdSU8AAnK6g.jpg

nickys

Premium Member
So bearing in mind the discussion on another thread over a possible new Epcot resort:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...suggest-new-projects-are-in-the-works.934942/

Here's a question for @Lift Blog or anyone else who knows about such things. If they build the IG as the Skyliner terminus, and then start building a new resort on the same side of Epcot, in a direct line from the line coming into the IG, how possible is it that they could simply extend the gondola line down to the new resort?

Obviously it would be easier to plan this from the start, and maybe file a permit a year or so from now. Or to add a separate gondola line from IG to new Epcot resort. But could they build the line up to the IG and then fairly easily connect them?

lazyboy97o

So bearing in mind the discussion on another thread over a possible new Epcot resort:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...suggest-new-projects-are-in-the-works.934942/

Here's a question for @Lift Blog or anyone else who knows about such things. If they build the IG as the Skyliner terminus, and then start building a new resort on the same side of Epcot, in a direct line from the line coming into the IG, how possible is it that they could simply extend the gondola line down to the new resort?

Obviously it would be easier to plan this from the start, and maybe file a permit a year or so from now. Or to add a separate gondola line from IG to new Epcot resort. But could they build the line up to the IG and then fairly easily connect them?
Expansion would be a physically separate cable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

If the new hotel goes between the new retention pond and Yacht/Beach Club then it might not be necessary since they could create a walking path to the IG, or even to the front entrance of Epcot.

nickys

Premium Member
If the new hotel goes between the new retention pond and Yacht/Beach Club then it might not be necessary since they could create a walking path to the IG, or even to the front entrance of Epcot.

I was thinking more of giving easy access to DHS too. Not exactly direct, given they'd have to change at CBR South, but similar to the monorail resorts to Epcot. If they put in a path to the IG you could walk all the way to DHS; I might do it occasionally but maybe not in the summer months. I would have thought they'd definitely put in a path to the main entrance, with access to the monorail too perhaps.

As for @lazyboy97o reply ('cos I forgot to multiquote), I was hoping it could be similar to my days of building train tracks around my living room : take out the curvy bits at the end and replace with more straight sections and then the curvy bit! :D

Lift Blog

Lots of different gondola extensions have been done. The most common solution is to extend an existing alignment in a straight line, moving one terminal and adding towers. If a new alignment is needed, the back wall of a station can be removed and a second section added to turn it into a mid-station. Certainly it is easiest to build all at once, but there are options for down the road.

Example: Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada. The upper section of Revelation Gondola was built and opened in 2007, the second lower part was added on in 2008.
rmr-trail-map-16-17.jpg

PorterRedkey

Thank you! @danlb_2000 deserves the credit for pulling the permits and getting everyone involved! All I did was line things up a on a map :) Also shout out to @lazyboy97o who called it first if I am remembering correctly.
I knew @danlb_2000 was in on it but I wasn't sure who else helped. I think @marni1971 helped confirm this for us as well - once you all put the map together.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
"High in the sky" makes me wonder how high the towers will be? Most speculation is low to the ground but higher means less towers so maybe TDO just does not care about sightlines!

I think that may just be marketing hype. I assume they are only going to be as high as is needed to provide proper clearance for what they are passing over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom