News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

raymusiccity

Can you explain this one a bit? Aside from a hurricane, central Florida has frequent and rather intense thunderstorms. In general operation, are they going to need to shut it down? As a layman, it seems like it's one big lightning rod. Presumably people inside the cabins would be protected, but I'm wondering how a system like this handles that sort of thing.

I'm sure the entire resort is under watchful eyes. Water slides are closed when lightning is within so many miles, watercraft are docked and held in place, many outdoor attractions are closed, as, I'm sure, so will the gondola system. Thunderstorms come and go, along with minor inconveniences.

Goofyernmost

Can you explain this one a bit? Aside from a hurricane, central Florida has frequent and rather intense thunderstorms. In general operation, are they going to need to shut it down? As a layman, it seems like it's one big lightning rod. Presumably people inside the cabins would be protected, but I'm wondering how a system like this handles that sort of thing.
Perhaps Disney's new mission statement will include an amendment to the original in which the goal includes the legal disclaimer of... "If they die, they die." At least they went out smiling. Disney's Gondola Experience... The ultimate thrill ride.:in pain::jawdrop:

AEfx

Perhaps Disney's new mission statement will include an amendment to the original in which the goal includes the legal disclaimer of... "If they die, they die." At least they went out smiling. Disney's Gondola Experience... The ultimate thrill ride.:in pain::jawdrop:

LOL, I have said a number of times to folks that if I am gonna go, I'd rather go there - and the varied reactions are always priceless. They range from - they totally understand (at least knowing me, they understand why LOL) to they are completely mortified and look at me funny the rest of the day. :)

Goofyernmost

Much like how the Castle, SSE, TOT, and Tree of Life have been lightning rods since their construction, perfectly fine...

Well except for TOT being hit that one time...
Yea, but that was way back in the 30's. It's been strange acting, but, fine ever since. Sure it's had it's ups and downs, but, seems pretty solid to me. That's on the East Coast only... the West Coast one took a direct hit from a bunch of super heroes.

GeneralKnowledge

1) park cabins indoors
2) close weather doors (these cover the openings where the cable/grips enter the terminals) plus any other doors to the stations.
3) Put grounding clamps on.
4) Turn system off.
This only takes about 45 minutes. With the cabins off, the rope has basically no surface area to get blown around. The towers aren't going anywhere.

I think a lot of people underestimate the extreme conditions that ski resort based gondolas have to handle. Hurricane force winds aren't that uncommon at the top of mountains. Sure they don't operate in them, but they are designed to handle them without being destroyed.

Goofyque'

LOL, I have said a number of times to folks that if I am gonna go, I'd rather go there - and the varied reactions are always priceless. They range from - they totally understand (at least knowing me, they understand why LOL) to they are completely mortified and look at me funny the rest of the day. :)

Same here! The family has my instructions..."Pry my MB off my cold dead wrist, step carefully over the body, and don't miss a FP or an ADR!"

tl77

Welp....Time to drop this youtube video on again...

Wouldn't it be fun to be in a gondola while it was getting struck by lighting like this? Since they have flash thunderstorms ...like? every afternoon in the summers in Orlando, you'll get plenty of chances to "Ride the Lighting at the Walt Disney World Resort"

lightguy

Wouldn't it be fun to be in a gondola while it was getting struck by lighting like this? Since they have flash thunderstorms ...like? every afternoon in the summers in Orlando, you'll get plenty of chances to "Ride the Lighting at the Walt Disney World Resort"
I was thinking it would be fun to be on the Monorail when it gets hit. Or one of the boats. Or in the TOT. Come on people, you don't think they've looked at this 7 ways from Sunday before they decided to spend millions of dollars building it? And announcing a new deluxe DVC resort that basically requires it? I don't always trust the mouse, but on something like this I've got 100% faith. They're really good at engineering things and they really hate bad press. And killing people in a lightning storm would be really really bad press.

lightguy

Disney isn’t designing the system. It is being supplied by Doppelmayr.
I have equal if not more faith in Doppelmayr, so it doesn't really change my point. I guess I was generalizing. I guess technically Disney is specifying the overall project scope and general design parameters and probably providing project management, a stormwater consultant is probably designing all the SWM/BMP, a geotechnical engineer is probably specifying the soil bearing capacities, a civil engineer is probably designing the actual foundations and piles, Doppelmayer is providing basically a pre-engineered modular system that fits onto the site specific foundations, an IT contractor is designing the WiFi system, a specialty lightning protection system contractor is designing the lightning protection system, etc. etc. This isn't rocket science and it's all been done before. I think too many people are picturing fixed grip old school sky rides. This is NOTHING like those.

Last edited:

raymusiccity

I would figure not. Probably just some static signage.

IMG_2197.JPG

tl77

I was thinking it would be fun to be on the Monorail when it gets hit. Or one of the boats. Or in the TOT. Come on people, you don't think they've looked at this 7 ways from Sunday before they decided to spend millions of dollars building it? And announcing a new deluxe DVC resort that basically requires it? I don't always trust the mouse, but on something like this I've got 100% faith. They're really good at engineering things and they really hate bad press. And killing people in a lightning storm would be really really bad press.

They used to shut down the Magic Kingdom's Skyway during lighting storms ...but if you want to ride the new gonadal during the daily lighting storms feel free, I just think a lot of people will opt for the bus instead of riding this thing they're spending millions on during the daily lighting storms

Goofyernmost

They used to shut down the Magic Kingdom's Skyway during lighting storms ...but if you want to ride the new gonadal during the daily lighting storms feel free, I just think a lot of people will opt for the bus instead of riding this thing they're spending millions on during the daily lighting storms
Skyway was closed down because they were wide open gondolas. Sideways rain and even regular hard rain would have rendered everyone on board completely soaked. Because they were open they couldn't be grounded properly, enclosed ones can be, I'm sure.

tl77

Skyway was closed down because they were wide open gondolas. Sideways rain and even regular hard rain would have rendered everyone on board completely soaked. Because they were open they couldn't be grounded properly, enclosed ones can be, I'm sure.
That's great, but I for one wouldn't want to be up in the air in a tiny box during a lighting storm, and I have a feeling I'm not the only person who'd feel that way

Goofyernmost

That's great, but I for one wouldn't want to be up in the air in a tiny box during a lighting storm, and I have a feeling I'm not the only person who'd feel that way
You ride in cars during a lightning storm, you fly in airplanes during lightning storms, you stay in tall buildings during lightning storms. What is the difference. Disney and the manufacturers they are using are not idiots. If they are not grounded properly, the lawsuits would put everyone except lawyers out of a job. It seem like being suspended on a cable during a storm is dangerous, but, it is probably less dangerous then standing on the ground.

It is the same mindset that is so prevalent in the often heard argument about flying vs. driving. People are afraid of flying, yet more people die on the highways every single day that an entire year of air travel. If someone wants to call you home... your going no matter where you are at the time. You don't need reservations.

Monorail_Orange

It's been said time and time again in this thread that regular bus service will not exist between these resorts and parks when the system is completed. Obviously, if the system is down for any significant period of time, for any reason, including a storm that it would be unsafe to operate in, then bus service would be offered. Other than that, you would have to drive your own vehicle/rental car to the park from these resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom