News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

rushtest4echo

ITA. I've lived in the arid plains of the Southwest, the eastern fringe of swamp country, and in the Asian tropics, and I have to say that Florida's combination of heat and humidity was the most consistently uncomfortable place I've lived.

Southeast Asia's climate is at least as bad as Florida's most of the time. They are both terrible as far as heat/humidity. We didn't bother leaving the hotel room for much of our stay at HKDL last time we were there because the heat/humidity was the worst I've ever experienced. Then again, the weather was probably secondary to us circumnavigating the earth to do all of the Disney parks in 2 weeks time on that particular trip (side note, we're so through with DL Paris that we skipped it despite being an hour away- it's not even a Disney park in our minds now- really hope Disney can do something to fix it although short of firing all of the French craftsmen and barring entry to French visitors, the maintenance and clientele will continue to be horrid forever). The time before that in Hong Kong was hellish too and we're used to heading out to the parks in Orlando during the middle of summer for non-work related fun days without issue.

Speaking of Hong Kong- the gondolas there at their Giant Buddha and Ocean Park don't have any air conditioning and they seemed fine. And that heat is just as bad as central Florida.

Lift Blog

Southeast Asia's climate is at least as bad as Florida's most of the time. They are both terrible as far as heat/humidity. We didn't bother leaving the hotel room for much of our stay at HKDL last time we were there because the heat/humidity was the worst I've ever experienced. Then again, the weather was probably secondary to us circumnavigating the earth to do all of the Disney parks in 2 weeks time on that particular trip (side note, we're so through with DL Paris that we skipped it despite being an hour away- it's not even a Disney park in our minds now- really hope Disney can do something to fix it although short of firing all of the French craftsmen and barring entry to French visitors, the maintenance and clientele will continue to be horrid forever). The time before that in Hong Kong was hellish too and we're used to heading out to the parks in Orlando during the middle of summer for non-work related fun days without issue.

Speaking of Hong Kong- the gondolas there at their Giant Buddha and Ocean Park don't have any air conditioning and they seemed fine. And that heat is just as bad as central Florida.

Also in Southeast Asia is the two-line Singapore Cable Car, which seems to offer a good balance of cost and comfort. No AC but each cabin has two windows in front, three in back and two on the side.
SingaporeCableCarSkypass.jpg

lazyboy97o

LOL. No, I'm not overblowing it.

And yes, plenty of WDW guests come from cooler parts of the country.
I do think you are underestimating the capabilities of a well designed ventilation system. The Mark VIIs are not very relevant because they were so poorly designed. One aspect that has not been mentioned is that the route and elevation reduces the system's interaction with surfaces that contribute to the urban heat Island effect.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It sounds like from the people who have seen the plans that the gondolas won't have AC. They probably looked at that as an option but went in another direction. Since ground hasn't broken yet I don't think it was a change from the original design, it is the original design.

As long as they have good airflow (solar+battery powered vent) and window systems which limit insolation gondolas should be ok

rushtest4echo

the cable car shown in the picture is in a coastal area....that would get far more cool breeze off the water than Central Florida which gets no breeze and is usuallystifling hot.in the summer.

The cabins are traveling at 12-16 mph, which provides plenty of breeze. And during Hong Kong summers, the wind is warm and nasty, similar to the Santa Ana winds in Southern California except for being humid instead of being dry. But in the end, it's still a blast of hot air in your face and doesn't really help it feel any cooler.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The cabins are traveling at 12-16 mph, which provides plenty of breeze. And during Hong Kong summers, the wind is warm and nasty, similar to the Santa Ana winds in Southern California except for being humid instead of being dry. But in the end, it's still a blast of hot air in your face and doesn't really help it feel any cooler.
This is the average speed I anticipate the WDW system to travel at.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Random technical question: For a fleet of gondolas this size, which is currently the better bargain - painting or wrapping?

@marni1971 Any word on what the graphics package will look like for the individual cars? Matching the monorail or bus system perhaps, or going in a completely new direction?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Random technical question: For a fleet of gondolas this size, which is currently the better bargain - painting or wrapping?

@marni1971 Any word on what the graphics package will look like for the individual cars? Matching the monorail or bus system perhaps, or going in a completely new direction?
Both were looked at. I don't know the decision.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

You heard it here first - The gondolas will be wrapped with smiling head-shots of Iger, Chappie, and Scrooge McDuck. :D

Lift Blog

truecoat

Wrapping the cabins would be done locally anyway, they will come painted or however they are made. No way Disney let's all those cabins go around without promoting the next big thing.

Thelazer

No AC?.. Come on now..
Sorry, I keep waiting for the April 1st Date to arrive and for someone to say "Got Ya!!"...

If I did stay at one of these higher end resorts, then my choice was a nice AC Bus, or a non AC Cable Car...
Middle of Aug, 92 degree's and humid out... hmm....

peter11435

No AC?.. Come on now..
Sorry, I keep waiting for the April 1st Date to arrive and for someone to say "Got Ya!!"...

If I did stay at one of these higher end resorts, then my choice was a nice AC Bus, or a non AC Cable Car...
You won't have a choice.

lazyboy97o

No AC?.. Come on now..

That is a false assumption. An air conditioned bus could easily be less comfortable than a property ventilated gondola.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom