News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What word would you rather be used?

Looking at other mass transport options, which does expose more people to more risk?

Buses? Only the single vehicle is potentially impacted.
Trains? Only the single vehicle, at most one additional in an oncoming derailment situation.
Monorails? Single vehicle.
Boats? Single vessel, maybe another if commandeered and used to ram something.
Gondolas? Potentially 20-40 of these things falling in the HIGHLY unlikely event of the haul rope being severed.

I understand what is being discussed is thankfully NEVER likely to happen, but I sure as heck never thought I'd see airplanes being used as bombs to slam into skyscrapers, yet it did over 15 years ago.

The world is a screwed up place with screwed up people. We are discussing a transport option at a vacation spot. It is something which at least merits discussion.
Honestly. Shut up.

Minthorne

What word would you rather be used?

Looking at other mass transport options, which does expose more people to more risk?

Buses? Only the single vehicle is potentially impacted.
Trains? Only the single vehicle, at most one additional in an oncoming derailment situation.
Monorails? Single vehicle.
Boats? Single vessel, maybe another if commandeered and used to ram something.
Gondolas? Potentially 20-40 of these things falling in the HIGHLY unlikely event of the haul rope being severed.

I understand what is being discussed is thankfully NEVER likely to happen, but I sure as heck never thought I'd see airplanes being used as bombs to slam into skyscrapers, yet it did over 15 years ago.

The world is a screwed up place with screwed up people. We are discussing a transport option at a vacation spot. It is something which at least merits discussion.

If the gondola falls Spider-Man will catch it.

righttrack

In NYC we have the Rosevelt Island Tram. This is really heavy and strong, probably the type of thing you'd need in Florida Weather. It has heat and AC and holds 125 people. It operates in all weather conditions except winds over 50mph and lightening.

200px-Roosevelt_Island_Tramway_tower.jpg

lazyboy97o

In NYC we have the Rosevelt Island Tram. This is really heavy and strong, probably the type of thing you'd need in Florida Weather. It has heat and AC and holds 125 people. It operates in all weather conditions except winds over 50mph and lightening.

The vehicles will not be anywhere near that large nor will it be a shuttle system.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
In a world where Bob Iger might run for President of the US, there's no telling what else might happen. Even the dinosaurs in Ellen's Energy Adventure might come to life and start eating guests right out of the transports...
So you're agreeing that it wouldn't be a good thing for him to come back. ;)

Capsin4

When discussing the next phase of the transportation system overhaul, we have tossed around the concept of connecting the western resorts and AK to the center of WDW via some sort or rail system (automated?). This system would have to be elevated in some areas (mainly around World Drive interchange) so this would explain the height balloons seen at Fantasia Gardens. Additionally, this rail system would have to connect via a transfer center to Epcot and DHS. I see this all potentially happening near the Boardwalk "v" of the gondola.

Here is a new concept map fresh out of MS paint (5th grade computer skills FTW) explaining these ideas:
View attachment 192180
  • Some sort of rail system with CSR possibly having a loop.
  • The transfer station could feature an express Friendship Boat dock to service EPCOT/DHS
  • This system would link AK to AKL
  • Other stops would be Blizzard Beach and an All Star Resorts station
Looks like you don't need the loop between CSR and the transfer station. The line is thick enough to handle two way traffic so that one line could hold the loop.Why rail? couldn't that just be an extension of the gondolas?

Lift Blog

Aerial tramways are inherently inefficient and have largely fallen out of flavor. Maximum capacity of that system is 1,200 passengers per hour, per direction - equivalent to a two-passenger chairlift.

Cesar R M

In a world where Bob Iger might run for President of the US, there's no telling what else might happen. Even the dinosaurs in Ellen's Energy Adventure might come to life and start eating guests right out of the transports...
Cant wait to see him spread the costs of a new carrier during war times into multiple years for "cost efficiency and wall street". Or cost cutting bridge and infrastructure building to bare minimums.. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom